Looking for ONE Dublin Lunch Spot... with Great Beer

Will be in Dublin in late August. Only there for the day via a cruise.

Looking for one lunch spot in Dublin that has a good selection of beer. Looking for Irish fare if possible.

We will be getting around on the HoHo.

I noticed that Trip Advisor had Merry Ploughboys Pub rated highly for Irish fare, but, that is quite a distance from the City Center.

Any suggestions?

OK.

I am going to make a suggestion to myself.

Has anybody here eaten at the Porterhouse Brewery Company?

They make their own beer and they have numerous choices.

Looks like they have a couple options on pies and of course Fish and Chips.

Prices seem reasonable.

They have three locations that look relatively central. Any thoughts on the

best of the three for location/and or atmosphere?

Thanks.

We stopped at The Brazen Head Pub last April. It is billed as Ireland's oldest pub http://www.brazenhead.com -- had a ball. Good food and great Guiness (also Irish Coffee ;))! DH even paid for the privilege to learn to pour his own pint -- complete with certificate and tee shirt to prove it! Met some locals having lunch and had quite a chat with them...they taught us the traditional Irish toast "Sláinte" and even wrote it down on a coaster so we could remember it. We also did the HoHo bus and thoroughly enjoyed our day in Dublin. We hit the Guiness brewery, Jameson's distillery (no, there's not a theme growing here!), St. Patrick's Cathedral as well as just riding around the route.

KB, well thank you very much.

That Pub was listed here (10 Best Pubs), so I like that as an option:

http://www.10best.com/destinations/ireland/dublin/nightlife/pubs/

If they serve traditional fare I might like this option better and than do the more touristy Porterhouse Brewery late afternoon.

Is the Brazen Head easy to find, and if so, where exactly is it? We would probably see a couple things on the HoHo and then jump off and eat.

Also, we are interested in seeing the Jail, the Guinness Brewery and the Distillery. I understand that they "tour" the distillery, so were there long lines?

Thanks again.

Hi, Zoolander --

If you click on the link in my post for The Brazen Head it has a "map". We walked to it from the Jameson distillery. Think I had mapped it out on google maps before we left home. We went into the first bar on the right off the courtyard, not to a dining room. Their menus are also on their website. I believe they also had daily specials. I know I had the fish 'n chips, can't remember what DH had (other than his personally pulled Guiness ;))

We did a self-guided tour of Jamesons, then visited the gift shop and went upstairs for our first Irish coffee of the day (yummm).

Sláinte!

KB. Thanks.

Yes, I took a look at the site as well.

But telling me it was near Jamesons is what I was looking for. That way I can plan the meal into the day while touring on the HoHo. Exactly what I needed.

So you are saying that the tour at Jamesons did not get backed up. We purchased the Travel Card and they mentioned that you can be disappointed because of the tour format and the speed of the process. The said the same thing about the Jail.

Anyway... looks like Fish and Chips and a Pie with a very dark beer at the Brazen Head Bar.

Thanks again.

Also... great idea on the Google Maps as well.

Archived