Would you dive Antiqua or St. Lucia?

DBTB

Both. It is hard to make that decision. We were at both over christmas and dove both. If I had to make a choice, it would be to dive St. Lucia because we had such a great time with Dive Fair Helen. The diving was excellant and they made it even better.

If you decide to dive in Antigua, dive the English Harbour area - it is far better than Cades Reef. There are 2 dive ops in English Harbour, the AntiguaScuba Center (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) or

Aquanaut Dives (email: aquanaut@candw.ag). English Harbour is a 30 minute drive from the cruise ship and is also the location of Nelson's Dockyard. As the area is the mega yacht centre of the island, there is also an good selection of restuarants. Therefore, you can do a morning 2 tank dive, grab a bite, see the Dockyard and stil make it back to the ship in time.

We just finished doing that itinerary and dove every port but St Maarten. It was great. The current was a bit strong in Barbados but the other dives were very pleasant. Saw a manta ray in Barbados. Expect turtles, reef sharks and barracudas along with all the regular sea life on the dives. The coral was the best off St Thomas.

Have fun

Thank you Scuba Dad. We usually dive everywhere we can but doing this we have failed to see much above the waterline. Did you book yourself?

Yes, we always booked independent. You can find Dive Fair Helen on the web and book through that.

We went with the dive excursion on the ship (Adventure of the Seas). They used Scuba St. Lucia. http://www.scubastlucia.com It included 2 fantastic dives in gorgeous scenery. The dive shop was located at the base of the Pitons. Absolutely beautiful above and below the water. The dive shop was very organized and a pleasure to work with. I would definately repeat this dive excursion.

I second ScubaDad's vote for Dive Fair Helen- we went with them and had an awesome time! I rank it as the best thing about our cruise!

The staff are great - very organized - the boat was great and super clean. We saw tons of turtles, puffer fish, a little octopus and tons of other stuff!

The ship excursion must be hit or miss -- cause all the people on my cruise had only bad things to say about the ship's excursion (there were at least 28 people that I counted getting onto their boat!) But some people have said good things to so it's hard to tell!

have a great time!

The ship excursion must be hit or miss -- cause all the people on my cruise had only bad things to say about the ship's excursion (there were at least 28 people that I counted getting onto their boat!) But some people have said good things to so it's hard to tell!

have a great time!

You might have seen at least 28 people getting on the boat because they take the snorkelers and the scuba divers on the same boat for the 45 min. trip to get to Anse Chastanet. Then, they drop off the snorkelers and continue with the scuba divers. Our group of 15 scuba divers was then divided into 2 separate groups with their own dive master. So, there were never more than 8 divers to a dive master.

• 1 month later...

Set up at snorkel trip with Dive Fair Helen via the internet, http://www.divefairhelen.com. Tour was scheduled to leave at 0845. We tendered at St Lucia, a surprise to all of us, caught a private boat from the cruise ship dock and paid them $2 pp to take us to the Dive Fair Helen dock. Got there on time. Then sat on the boat until 1030, we asked for our money back and left. The captain never showed up while we were there, they had no ice, water, or beverages on the boat. They asked us to fill out forms several times, told us to sit here, move here. Crew was rude and crude (excessive use of four letter words). No one was in charge, no one knew what was going on, they were totally unorganized. Those that stayed on said the snorkeling was wonderful when they finally got out on the water. Several of the divers had problems with leaky equipment that cut their dives short. I know several people have given them a good rating, however, from our experience last week, this tour company is certainly not recommended.

Why did you tender? Isn't St. Lucia a dock port? We are booked with Fair Helen to dive 4/14. At least we have been warned about problems. We were having second thoughts about bringing all the dive gear except weights but with leaky gear... we will pack it all up. Thanks for the warning.

Trilla

Tracy1,

We are on the AOS in June. Did you dive any other stops except St. Lucia? Did you spend the whole day diving in St. Lucia or were you back by noon? My son and I plan to dive in St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Lucia. I heard St. Maarten wasn't a good choice. Any help would be appreciated. We will probably not go independent from the ship.

Scott

If you decide to dive in Antigua, dive the English Harbour area - it is far better than Cades Reef. There are 2 dive ops in English Harbour, the AntiguaScuba Center (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) or

Aquanaut Dives (email: aquanaut@candw.ag). English Harbour is a 30 minute drive from the cruise ship and is also the location of Nelson's Dockyard. As the area is the mega yacht centre of the island, there is also an good selection of restuarants. Therefore, you can do a morning 2 tank dive, grab a bite, see the Dockyard and stil make it back to the ship in time.

Hello there,

I'm interested in Diving Antigua while visiting on AOS on 27 April and have been in contact with Antigua Scuba. Are you on this particular cruise and intersted in sharing the taxi?

I am PADI AOW and my wife is a non-diver so am venturing out to dive Antigua this day.

Regards,

Ozzieskid

Unfortunately I am on the AOS leaving on June 5th. We plan to dive St. Thomas, Barbados, and St. Lucia at this time. Let me know if you do some diving on your trip. Give me an update on the good or bad.

Good luck,

Scott

Scott-

Just wanted to let you know we had an awesome dive with John at Dive Barbados. http://www.divebarbados.net

Booking outside the ship can be a really good thing at some ports.

Here are links to my reviews for Dive Barbados and Blue Island Divers on St. Thomas from our trip this Thanksgiving.

Have a great trip & be sure to post when you come back.

Wendy

Dive Barbados

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=121690

Blue Island Divers, St. Thomas

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=121707

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw your post. My son and I will also be diving from the AOS 6/5. Have booked the St Thomas with RCCL already and are holding out to possibly book Barbados independently with Dive Barbados after reading some of the positive reviews in this forum. See you on the dive boat Monday morning.

David

Birmingham, AL

Tracy1,

We are on the AOS in June. Did you dive any other stops except St. Lucia? Did you spend the whole day diving in St. Lucia or were you back by noon? My son and I plan to dive in St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Lucia. I heard St. Maarten wasn't a good choice. Any help would be appreciated. We will probably not go independent from the ship.

Scott

Archived