car rental insurance

swampland

ok, so i know i have read that i need to take the extra car rental ins. but i was looking at the avis site and they have like 3 diff insurances. any help if i need all 3. they are as follows.. which if you add them up cost more than the car rental...sorry so long.

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

Renters may purchase loss damage waiver (LDW) that reduces the financial liability for loss or damage to the Avis car as long as they comply with the terms of the Avis rental agreement. Cost of LDW will vary by location, car group and rate. If you have rental car coverage through your personal insurance or charge card, LDW offers maximum protection while your personal insurance or charge car may contain a deductible.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides accidental death benefits and emergency medical expense benefits to the renter and all passengers in the Avis car.

The renter is covered 24 hours a day during the rental for the following:

-$175,000.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to an accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses

The passengers are covered while in the car for the following:

-$17,500.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses Exceptions:

Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)

Renter may purchase Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) at the time of rental. ALI provides additional protection for bodily injury, death or property damage and increases the limits to $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 combined single limit depending on the location. When ALI is purchased, Avis will always provide the Financial Responsibility Limits (FRL) on a primary basis.

Our car rental ended up costing $100 once we added the required insurance. Tried to find my rental agreement to give you a breakdown of the charges, but I can't find that right now. I will say the rental may have been $50 and the rest was the required coverage. We rented from Thrifty Car Rental just last month in Cozumel.

I'm not sure how this works when out of the USA but we always call our American Express and they add rental car insurance ( very good coverage) for around $19. This rate is good on any rental car that you may use during the vacation for any amount of days. We just call and tell them our vacation dates and that's it. It is added to our AmX bill the next cycle. I have done this for years and it has saved us a lot of money at the car rental counter. I trust AmEx and it's products.

I rented from Avis in Jan. I always take all the insurance they offer. It was still only $90 total for the day.

You can do the credit card insurance if the card allows it. But you're still going to be out of pocket initially in dealing with a foreign rental while waiting on your credit card to reimburse you if you have an accident.

The $30 or $40 you're going to save is just not worth the headache that will ensue if you have an accident.

Now if I'm renting for a week, the savings are usually worth the headache. That and I probably won't have the time constraints that an accident is going to require. Don't won't to miss the ship.:D

• 2 weeks later...
ok, so i know i have read that i need to take the extra car rental ins. but i was looking at the avis site and they have like 3 diff insurances. any help if i need all 3. they are as follows.. which if you add them up cost more than the car rental...sorry so long.

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

Renters may purchase loss damage waiver (LDW) that reduces the financial liability for loss or damage to the Avis car as long as they comply with the terms of the Avis rental agreement. Cost of LDW will vary by location, car group and rate. If you have rental car coverage through your personal insurance or charge card, LDW offers maximum protection while your personal insurance or charge car may contain a deductible.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides accidental death benefits and emergency medical expense benefits to the renter and all passengers in the Avis car.

The renter is covered 24 hours a day during the rental for the following:

-$175,000.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to an accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses

The passengers are covered while in the car for the following:

-$17,500.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses Exceptions:

Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)

Renter may purchase Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) at the time of rental. ALI provides additional protection for bodily injury, death or property damage and increases the limits to $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 combined single limit depending on the location. When ALI is purchased, Avis will always provide the Financial Responsibility Limits (FRL) on a primary basis.

Basically each is spelled out exactly what is covered. If you rent a vehicle in the US for pleasure MOST policies will transfer as a non owned auto and you would have liability and physical damage coverage. However, this only extends through the United States (and some of the non-standard auto carriers do not provide this coverage at all. It is up to you to check with your agent and/or read the policy).

IF you are renting a car outside the United States you should absolutely purchase the insurance coverage being provided. At the very minimum I would purchase the liability coverage and the damage waiver for the rental car. If you wanted to exclude the injury coverage for you and your family that would be your choice, but I would't recommend it. Someone may get hurt as a result of an uninsured motorist and you or your passengers would have no recourse to try to sue someone in another country.

I hope this is helpful. I have several years experience handling claims and am a claims manager. I've seen my share of people not purchase the correct coverage and have no recourse.

Best of luck!

Archived