Lamanai Distance from boat dock to ruins

BOUDREAUX

My father really wants to go on this trip, however he uses a cain to get around and I feel we will not have enough time to see the ruin let alone get to the top for pictures. He can't walk more than ten minutes with out taking a 5 min break.

just getting out of the boat may be difficult.....the boat dock is a wooden thing, you have to step up from the boat. they are there to help.

the walk from the dock to the ruins, you are on a walkway. you go past the covered area they use for lunch, the musuem and the restrooms.

then the walk really begins, the path is uneven...can be muddy..you need to step over tree roots and up block steps. plus it's VERY hot, even under the trees. the path is a dirt path, over the natural terrain.

they stop at each of the ruins for a long time, but there are very few places to sit. no place to sit at the jaguar temple.

i would suggest going to one of the other 2 sites...more tourist friendly with better walking paths.

We used Island Marketing (belizecruiseexcursions.com), and our group included a handicapped young lady in a wheelchair. I was concerned with the time/mobility issues that this would cause, but our guides handled the situation extremely well. We were short on time, as our ariival in port was delayed due to weather. Your dad probably won't be able to negoitate the climb up the temple, but if you go through Island Marketing, and tell them your concerns in advance, I am sure they will make allowances. In our case with the rush, they assigned a guide to stay with the young lady and her family during the Lamanai visit. THey were able to make sure she saw all the highlights without slowing down the primary group. Lamanai is a special place, and getting there is more than half the fun. I would not hesitate to use Island Marketing, just let them know your mobility concerns regarding your dad.

Archived