Cruise ship excursion vs private??

cruisecap

We will be in Belize in March via the NCL Sun. We are cruising with a large group from our school district. I would like to do the cave tubing through Wet-N-Wild but many people in our group are very hesitant about booking privately as they are concerned about missing the ship.

Is there really much difference between the two besides pricing?? 96.00 vs 60.00.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would consider paying more than 50% more for the ship’s tour a very significant difference. In your case it may not be the main consideration. If your group will be kids with chaperones as opposed to families it might be best to book though the ship. If one kid manages to wonder off it will cause a huge problem. On a private tour the ship will not wait. If parents are making an informed decision for their own family on their own vacation, private tours are fine.

That said, the private tours go down the same roads to the same park and through the same cave system as the ship tours. I have never heard of an instance when a cave tubing excursion failed to make it back to the ship. The private tours offer an additional cave and some offer lunch included. I went cave tubing last Saturday with A1 (Reggie). We had a great tour but do to our short day in port we only went through one cave and we did not stop for lunch. We were back at the pier 30 minutes before the last tender.

yst

My recommendation would be to write Marvin at Wet n Wild directly. Just explain to him your needs, the number of people with you, etc. He will probably be able to accomodate your specific needs, whether that be additional guides, etc. I have read thousands of posts regarding private cave tubing and I have never read where someone missed the boat. I think if someone ever did, they would publicize it heavily. Just because you email Marvin with questions doesn't mean you must book with him, but at least he could give you some answers to your questions. The price difference is huge and I really think the difference in experience is huge. With the private tour you learn so much about Belize, in addition to tubing an extra cave and an included lunch.

We are aboard NCL Dream to Belize and I contacted Marvin at Wet N Wild--cavetubingbelize.com Because we have 35 in our group he gave us a group discount which is half what the ship pays. We have been on 8 cruises and prefer to book our own through the tour companies at the port. YOu can find them on google.com by just putting in your port city and tour search. We have toured Tulum that way and saved half. We usually get there before the ship tours--which is less crowded--and we are much more free to do the things we want. I am all for booking tours privately. Just check the boards to see what other's have to say. I do check to see if the tour company has boards as well and read what those people say.

Marvin's cave tubing is highly recommended. Have your group read the boards or email them a few of the comments others have made.

I booked with Wet n Wild. When we found him he said the group left without us. We were the 1st tender off the ship. . He also said our credit card did not go through. Our card is fine and I hope I don't end up with a charge. He never emailed us saying there was a problem. He had sent us a confirmation which I had with us. Nor did he offer to take us and pay cash. We found Cruise Taxi Private Land Adventure who took us. I would recommend Carlos Lopez at http://www.bztaxitours.com Or take the excursion from your ship and save the aggravation. Belize is alittle unstable right now.

Archived