Cozumel - Snorkeling - not scuba - which outfit?

martycommack

We want to snorkel in Cozumel also. We are a bit more advanced... and try to avoid the ships tours because they don't give you much time in the water.

...also wondering if there are any cave options? I've seen something about caves in Cozumel but am guessing its only for divers?

Last trip we did the Dolphin encounter and then snorkeled at the Chankanaab National Park... but the snorkeling was not the greatest. We did enjoy the dolphin swim, lunch, beach, and snorkel all in one place... but this time I want to see a nice reef, or cool cave.

we arrive in cozumel at 1:00pm on saturday, 7 august. firt time snorikelers. family of 4. who do you recommend we use to go out an snorkel?

We are booking a private charter with a company called mayanparadise on a private charter for 180 for 4 people which is only 45 pp .read good reviews ,you can go to their website for the specifics. i believe it is a 3 reef snorkel for around 4 hours.

marty, for a first timer - my thinking is Chankanab Nat'l Park. It is a rocky shore entry.

Most all other trips are boat based. Better reef selection perhaps, but harder on the first timer in getting used to the equipment and keeping tabs on yourself and your family.

By using the park, you go in/out on your own time schedule, or just two at a time, etc.

If you do go boat-based, pls don't go with the large ship's tours. Imagine you, your three family members - and 82 other people in the water. Everyone has same yellow snorkle, etc. Fins are kicking around, someone sounding like your kid calls out they got water in their mask, again. Etc. Go with a tour company known for smaller groups. Some not always as 'pretty' as the big Fury Cats, but the overall experience will be better for a first timer. IMO

Eagle Ray Divers and Coz Water Sports are two that come to mind. We have used both. CWS we did just this past Tuesday...our party of 8 had the whole boat to ourselves. We had 3 first-timers and after about 10 minutes, they had it figured all out on keeping their mask and snorkle good. But I was glad for the small group, so that the other experienced folks could assist when needed. The guide was also always close by.

Both ERD and CWS require a short taxi ride to their piers. On both of those trips, we have been dropped off after snorkling at one of the beach clubs for the rest of our day. They have other options.

If Mayan P is $45pp, that sounds like a good candidate too.

Archived