Eating - - Drinking in Mexico

I have always heard that you should not eat or drink anything in Mexico because it will make you sick. I keep hearing about outstanding guacamole, mexican food and margaritas and seems there is no fear involved. We will be leaving Sunday on Rhapsody visiting Costa Maya and Cozumel. Should I be worried?

In Cozumel, the food AND water are okay for us gringos! In Costa Maya, the food is fine for us, but I would stick with bottled water, beer, or sodas; no iced or frozen drinks. Our GI tracts are not used to the same family of bacteria as there is elsewhere.

Have a great cruise. We enjoyed the laid back environment in Majahual; just wandereing around, sitting on the beach and having a few beers, eating chips and roasted salsa.

I wouldn't stop at the road-side stands for anything to eat or drink, but in the major hotels and restaurants you shouldn't have any problems. I have been to Mexico about 10 times, and the only time I had any problems at all was when I gave in to temptation and stopped at a small road-side stand for some fried chicken and a salad. That was not wise.

At Pez Quadro last Thursday (Feb 3), I noticed that the bartender washed her hands every time before making a drink, the ice was from a plastic bag (like we get at the store), and any water she added was from a bottle. Considering how many drinks she made for me, if there was anything to be caught I would've caught it! We hand lunch thru them also, and it was outstanding.

Anywhere other than restaurants drink bottled water only. If you are in restaurants that cater to tourists, water by the glass and ice is OK - made from purified water. Example would be a resort- never drink the water from the tap in your room but water in the restaurants is OK. Some parts of the Yucatan have treated water systems, Cancun for example, but personally I would drink bottled water unless in a restaurant.

I don't drink water, period but haven't had any trouble with the food, or drinks in Mexico. (The alcohol will kill any little coodies in the ice cubes, IMHO).

Stretch

I went to Playa Del Carmen in June with some friends who own a couple condos there. They go several times a year, and know all the "safe" places to eat. I did get Montezumas revenge when we got back and I was very careful. I may have brushed my teeth after a heavy day of consuming alcohol, but I am not sure. Regardless, with the alcohol I drank--if it could kill the coodies--it would have. Long story short.....got home at Midnight Sunday---started around 1:00am. By Tuesday morning I was in ER because I thought my head was gonna explode. ( dehydration ) In ER I ended up getting 3 doses of morphine and IV's of potassium and fluids. It was horrible! I was on antibiotics for a month. I would not chance it......unless you are at Carlos and Charlies or somewhere like that that is a major tourist attraction. Otherwise stick to cervasa

On my cruise to the Mexican Riviera, the cruise director said that frozen drinks were Ok because the Tequila(or whatever alcohol) in the drink killed any bacteria.

After what I went through......believe me--it is not worth taking a chance. I honestly don't know if I used the sink to brush my teeth. But it is the only thing I can think of that may have did me in.

My husband travels to Mexico 4 times a year for work. He won't eat much of anything and he stays in nice places. He got Mont. Rev. once and has no idea how he got it, so he is pretty paranoid too. Believe me---you don't want to get it. I took a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then 3 z-packs and it still lingered. No way would I drink anything other than a beer that I wiped the top off.

You can pretty much eat anything you want in Mexico although you have to be more careful of raw veggies and fruits since they can be washed in tap water. As for drinking water; most Mexicans that I know wont even drink the water down there! You can get bottled water at almost anyplace you go :) Tehaucan is a pretty decent sparkling mineral water if you are looking for something a bit different.

Watch your intake of margaritas (lime juice) if you are prone to heartburn.

I tend to eat from street vendors when I am in mexico and i have NEVER gotten sick from the food. I go by this philosophy: If the locals are eating it, it has to be good!! :)

Archived