What am I doing wrong that pricing changes when I choose the category?

cacj

On the NCL site. I have seen an upgrade available category, priced at $640...moving from an inside to oceanview, I click the category, and when it brings me to the list of cabins from which to choose, the pricing is not at the $640 per person, but rather it is at the non-upgraded price for the oceanview. What is it that I am not understanding? They show the category with the price for the inside, noting that it has an upgrade to oceanview, but when I click thru they raise the price. Any words of wisdom? (Oh, and yes, of course, I can call NCL, but not at 3 AM in the morning, I don't think.)

Wow, so the NCL site is not dynamic? It cannot show the true pricing when the category list comes up? I mean if it shows OV cat G at a certain price, when you click thru, they can show a raised price? This is crazy....

I don't know if it is the same with the NCL site, but with another online travel company you have to start with the lower class room. Then when you get to the pick a cabin screen, it will show you that catagory AND the option of the upgraded cabins.

Hope this helps.

I don't know if it is the same with the NCL site, but with another online travel company you have to start with the lower class room. Then when you get to the pick a cabin screen, it will show you that catagory AND the option of the upgraded cabins.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, and that is the process on NCL. I pick the inside cabin category, and then click and up comes the deck plan and cabins with a list of cabins to choose from (now showing the upgraded oceanview), and on the right side of the screen, where pricing is shown the pricing is not the lower cabin price, but rather the oceanview price, so in reality, there is no upgrade. So, I thought, maybe they don't show the lower price until you choose the cabin, and click thru, so I do that, and still the price is at the higher price, not the one shown on the original category pricing page.

I find this to be a form of bait and switch, and totally aggravating. Why show the lower price at all if it doesn't exist on the click thrus?

As I recall, you have to select the lower class cabin. Then, on the cabin selection screen, there is a checkbox to select the upgrade.

But as I recall, these upgrades are always "guarantees," so you won't be able to pick a specific cabin if you go this route.

As I recall, you have to select the lower class cabin. Then, on the cabin selection screen, there is a checkbox to select the upgrade.

But as I recall, these upgrades are always "guarantees," so you won't be able to pick a specific cabin if you go this route.

Thanks for trying to help me thru with this. So, I am picking the lower class cabin and no, it is not showing gty when I click thru, I am shown the choice of cabins, and at the top of the list it says "Select a State Room" then it has a check line for "I'd like to decline the upgrade"....which I have not checked off. But already, the pricing is not at the quoted price on the page before for the lower category (which is what I have clicked on on the category page to be brought to cabin choices).....the pricing is at the higher cabin price, not the lower.

So, I choose the cabin, and click thru to the "booking info" and still the price is not the lower cabin (with upgrade) but the higher cabin, therefore it is a bait and switch, the low price disappears when you proceed from category page to booking.

Thanks for trying to help me thru with this. So, I am picking the lower class cabin and no, it is not showing gty when I click thru, I am shown the choice of cabins, and at the top of the list it says "Select a State Room" then it has a check line for "I'd like to decline the upgrade"....which I have not checked off. But already, the pricing is not at the quoted price on the page before for the lower category (which is what I have clicked on on the category page to be brought to cabin choices).....the pricing is at the higher cabin price, not the lower.

Do yourself a favor and go thru a travel agent. It won't cost you any more and will save you lots of aggravation. I know which upgrade you are talking about. An inside cabin I that upgrades to OV G. It should work. It did for me, but then when I find something I want, I just call my travel agent and tell her which cabin I want. We are going on the Star in Feb. and since we have been on her twice, we know the ship and the location we like.

Your other option is to call NCL and they will give you a personal assistant. They are NOT trying to fool you.

Good Luck, hope you enjoy your cruise.

I just walked thru a fake booking and it worked as advertised. I took an upgrade from B1 to D4 for the price of $1159 per person. I saw this price carry thru all the way and I got the D4 room. There is probably something unique about your situation. I would call NCL and do it over the phone.

I find this to be a form of bait and switch, and totally aggravating. Why show the lower price at all if it doesn't exist on the click thrus?

Actually, it's probably a little less sinister than a "bait-and-switch". It's more likely that NCL's IT Department hasn't designed a website that is able to support all the promotions. If you are trying to combine discounts (e.g., Latitudes + military, or Latitudes + AARP), the website software does not seem to be able to combine the discounts. Here's a quote I made about a week ago from a thread discussing the NCL website's inability to show the prices with the AARP discount applied:

I got similar results about a week ago when I put in the PGMIL code. The pp cabin price included the military discount and the Latitudes discount, but it was not reflected in the total price. For example, with the military and Latitudes discount, the per person price was $1,784 but when I clicked on the link under My Cruise Summary the pp cruise fare was $1,949 ( + taxes) - which was the price without the military discount. Was this similar to what you are describing with the AARP discount?

I called NCL's 800-number, described what I wanted to do (right down to the cabin number I wanted), and told them that I was eligible for Latitudes and military discounts. I had to call twice (1st guy must have been new - the 2nd guy was great) but eventually I got the cabin I wanted with all the discounts applied.

So, if what I described above is similar to what's happening to you, call the 800-number and see if they can help.

OK, I just tried it and I got the results you described (I think they've changed the way this works in the last couple of weeks).

But note: The price displayed at that point (in the right-hand column) INCLUDES "taxes and fees." Click on the price for a breakdown. This appeared to work correctly when I just tested it...that is, I got the correct lower class base price PLUS taxes and fees.

And/or maybe there's a problem with the website on the particular cruise you've chosen.

I just walked thru a fake booking and it worked as advertised. I took an upgrade from B1 to D4 for the price of $1159 per person. I saw this price carry thru all the way and I got the D4 room. There is probably something unique about your situation. I would call NCL and do it over the phone.

Actually, it's probably a little less sinister than a "bait-and-switch". It's more likely that NCL's IT Department hasn't designed a website that is able to support all the promotions. If you are trying to combine discounts (e.g., Latitudes + military, or Latitudes + AARP), the website software does not seem to be able to combine the discounts. Here's a quote I made about a week ago from a thread discussing the NCL website's inability to show the prices with the AARP discount applied:

So, if what I described above is similar to what's happening to you, call the 800-number and see if they can help.

OK, I just tried it and I got the results you described (I think they've changed the way this works in the last couple of weeks).

But note: The price displayed at that point (in the right-hand column) INCLUDES "taxes and fees." Click on the price for a breakdown. This appeared to work correctly when I just tested it...that is, I got the correct lower class base price PLUS taxes and fees.

And/or maybe there's a problem with the website on the particular cruise you've chosen.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Yes, I hear you, call a live person. And I will, but I seriously get fed up with the IT dept. of NCL .... what is so darn difficult about having a website that truly is up to date and fully capable?

There are some of us who do surf at night, when no live people are available to talk to. There is the reality that many of us who choose a vacation may do so at the precise time we spot something of interest....and we will book at the moment we see something....but only if the dang website is working.

Okay, I will trust your judgment, that this is not a bait and switch, but just the usual poorly run website. But come on!

And now NCL wants to reduce the TA offerings (if I understood another thread)? Sure, when their website can reel in someone who does not notice the change in pricing or just accepts it? It is annoying, don't you think?

So, what is the point of having a website, and then making a person have to wait until business hours to book? By the time shop opens, price could be gone....oh, but it may never have existed, as far as I can see.....just color me frustrated.

But thanks again for the post replies!

Archived