Rent-a-car in port...need help

flcruiser13

We are a large group of 27 friends and family wanting to spend 4-5 hours at Maho beach when visiting the isalnd during our RCCL Liberty of the Seas cruise. I hear its like $7 each way to Maho so i think it would be cheaper to rent cars to accomodate our group, can someone tell me which companies are located where the ship docks, and is it better to reserve beforehand or once we get there...... if anyone has any to oher ideas as to get us to Maho please feel free to leave your comments

I cannot remember WHICH car rental agencies where at the port, but once you get off the ship there are companies there. We've rented cars a couple times, and traveled the loop that goes the whole way around the island. The Sunset Beach Bar at Maho is ALWAYS a required stop!! It's a blast. The prices of the cars a few years ago were about the same you'd pay for a daily rental in the states...$40-45. Good luck....you'll be amazed at Maho!!

There are 5 car rental booths at the pier - Hertz, Budget and three local operators. Whichever you choose, remember that they all close by 5 PM. Your US insurance is not good here so you have to factor in insurance cost. Some of the places, like Hertz, send you out with a full tank and you only have to replace what you have used at the gas station 6 blocks from the pier when returning the car. Others and this includes most of the local operators, send you out with fumes and you must guess what you will use because you don't get credit for what is still in the tank when you bring the car back in the afternoon.

We usually use Hertz even though they are the most expensive. With so many people in your group you will need multiple cars. You might be better off renting more expensive vehicles that hold more people.

This is the special website for St. Martin Hertz. If you decide to use them and book in advance you should specify "cruise ship pier pickup" in the comments section at the bottom of the reservation form. I know they have larger vehicles that hold many people.

http://hertz.sxmrentacar.com/

<<edit>> I haven't looked at their website since last December when we stopped at SXM. I just checked and they have small vans that hold 8-10 people and bigger vans that hold 15 people. With your huge party two bigger vans might fill your needs if you feel comfortable driving bigger vans. And the cost per person is the best.

Archived