Traveling with Scuba Gear

dotsonga

I am thinking about getting certified to dive and was wondering about traveling with your gear. Is it a hassle? Do you carry your own tank? Because I would be leary about using rental gear and basically every where I would want to dive would require air travel or cruising. Thanks for putting up with a newbie's questions.

I bring everything but tank and weights and do not find it to be particularly troublesome.

On the other hand, bringing a tank would be an extreme hassle and not all that helpful assuming you are planning on doing more than one dive.

Traveling with your gear doesn't have to be a hassle. Just find a good rolling suitcase that will fit your BCD, Fins and other gear and use it as checked luggage. Mine bag has been all over the place. I always carry my regs in my hand luggage and get tanks and weights when I get there.

No one travels with tanks or weights, they are always included in a diving excursion with a dive shop. That is after all what you are paying for.

Thanks everyone, I thought it would be difficult to travel with tanks/weights but being new I didn't know for sure. I do know that I want all my equipment that I would be familiar with. Thanks, and I can't wait to get certified.

Your first investment should be in a decent regulator and dive computer. After that, get a travel BC. You will have to buy a mask, fins and snorkel, but you can easily rent a BC for a while. I wouldn't recommend investing too much $$$ in dive gear until you know for sure if you plan to dive regularly.

It's just smart to have your own regulator, but we see too many people who get talked into taking advanced certification classes and into buying expensive dive gear only to find that they don't often get a chance to go diving!

I lead dive groups for Cruise Critic, and 90% of the divers all travel with their own gear. You can find lots of travel friendly dive gear, that's compact and easily transported in a carry-on. Get yourself a good regulator with a simple design - nothing too complicated. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a good regulator - but having your own is important.

Your first investment should be in a decent regulator and dive computer. After that, get a travel BC. You will have to buy a mask, fins and snorkel, but you can easily rent a BC for a while. I wouldn't recommend investing too much $$$ in dive gear until you know for sure if you plan to dive regularly.

It's just smart to have your own regulator, but we see too many people who get talked into taking advanced certification classes and into buying expensive dive gear only to find that they don't often get a chance to go diving!

I lead dive groups for Cruise Critic, and 90% of the divers all travel with their own gear. You can find lots of travel friendly dive gear, that's compact and easily transported in a carry-on. Get yourself a good regulator with a simple design - nothing too complicated. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a good regulator - but having your own is important.

Thanks for the advice Sailfish....we have a really good Dive Shop where I will be taking lessons and they don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. They try to tailor everything to your needs from your lessons all the way to your equipment. I won't invest a lot of $$$ because I mainly plan on diving on vacations and an occasional short trip to FL springs maybe. So I probably won't dive but about 3-4 trips a year. If I have any more questions I may just give you shout privately if that's OK. Again, thanks for all the advice everyone.

dotsonga,

Looks like you have been given some good advice. I would only add to pack your regulator and dive computer in your carry on. Those items are best not left to the TCL your luggage will receive.

GATA Go Dawgs!

dotsonga,

Looks like you have been given some good advice. I would only add to pack your regulator and dive computer in your carry on. Those items are best not left to the TCL your luggage will receive.

GATA Go Dawgs!

I have been given good advice here GC...and I Love to see your a Dawg fan! I do snorkel but haven't taken the plunge into diving yet, but I am doing a LOT of reading before I take my course. I hope to take it maybe next summer because we are planning a Hawaiian cruise at the end of of 2011 and I hope to dive there. I see you are from Lanier, I've spent many hours at Lanier Point Softball Complex.

Archived