Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

Milaandra, your dresses are beautiful! Very good advice in the post above.

My arms are reminiscent of cottage cheese so I bought one of those bolero things to go with my dresses. I intend to lose 20 pounds before my cruise, and if by some miracle my arms improve enough I may risk a shawl with my formal gown instead of the bolero.

thanks :) i have a weakness for shoes because of a) artificial height and b) when they fit they look the same as on skinny people :d i like hats and scarves for the same reason.

Mollymoo, does it help seeing us in our finery?

Most of us hate our arms, and there aren't many choices in eveningwear with sleeves, and even fewer that don't look just frumpy. I haven't tried it yet, but a bridal seamstress can put together a little matching bolero in the blink of an eye. I personally just hang on to my shawls/wraps with a deathgrip!

Here's the rub...i don't find other women's arms unattractive! I think that a plus size woman who has put herself together well (and isn't wearing a tent) looks lovely! It's only my own arms i fixate on, so try to keep that in mind. I'm guessing that everyone is the same on that one, and the only one who is going to find your bare arms disgusting is you!

Most of us hate our tummies, too. There's more choice there, thank goodness!

If you can stand shapewear, there are a couple that actually do something. I'm wearing a lightly boned waist cincher in the above two dresses. It holds in the fat pad over the diaphragm without being uncomfortable. I also have a thing called a squeem...i feel a little like a sausage in a casing when i'm wearing it, but it makes a huge difference! The regular shapewear available in stores is useless at our size, imho.

Bodies come in all shapes, and a number doesn't really indicate a woman's dimensions. If you are a pear shape, that's a real advantage for plus-size shopping, because most plus garments are designed for that body type. Me, i have to look for items with stretch at the bust, bra strap friendly styles, etc. And sometimes i get so carried away with the fact that something will zip up, i forget to notice if it's flattering.

At the risk of sounding really insulting (i don't mean to me...i've been there!) there is a "fat girl uniform" we tend to fall into and it doesn't do us any favours! I used to wear those two piece outfits from the plus store...you know, those matching tunics and elastic waist pants. I'm only 5'4", so the crotch and tunic bottom would hang half-way to my knees and anything that hangs from the bust is a bad choice for someone busty...at any size. I looked awful! I thought i'd look better hiding my flaws, but i just looked like a squat polyester boulder. I started watching shows like "what not to wear" and "how to look good naked", and i've been on a voyage ever since. Obviously i'm not there yet and i do make some expensive mistakes now and then. It's a learning process.

My recommendation would be to go shopping alot. And try on everything that looks like it might fit. Don't get weirded out if something doesn't...there are huge variations. And maybe take a trusted friend...preferrably someone of a similar size or a bit bigger. In fact, if you're lucky enough to have a friend of similar dimensions, and you're on the fence about a garment, convince her to try it on so you can get a truly objective view!

great post! :d

Rhonda- I have that same dress from Roamans in Navy Blue. The bottom half is so flowy. You will love it. My husband is Air Force so I wear it to a lot of Balls. Have gotten a lot of mileage with it!

Hi HappyHygienist, I am so glad to hear from someone else who has this dress. I actually considered the Navy but, my husband preferred the Teal. I got the dress today, I'm going to have a fashion show tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

Rhonda

I've been looking for formal dresses for our upcoming cruise in January- have found some I really like online at Nordstroms and Dillards. After viewing this thread I'm going to check out some of your suggestions and will DEFINITELY be looking on Ebay- hadn't even really thought about it so thanks for the ideas!

I don't know if you really see the dress, but I wore this one on my last cruise:

CruiseWesternCarribeanJune2010080.jpg

Here is the other, which was really just the shorter version:

Cruisemothersday068.jpg

I think I'm gonna try more color this Jan.

You look lovely. I've enjoyed your cruise blog and seeing all your clothes.

Well I finally got around to trying on the 2 dresses I ordered. What I did was order the dress in 2 sizes 1 larger 1 smaller. Imagine my excitement after finding that the smaller of the 2 dresses fit better. It actually looks pretty good. As usual I have to get the dress hemmed. Being short I always have to get new cloths shortened, what a surprise right. I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and advice. I am now really excited to go on this cruise. Thank you

What a great thread!

I am currently living in China on a one year teaching contract, and decided while here to book a cruise for the 3 week holiday I get... Well I hadn't packed any real formal wear and shopping for clothing if you are over a size large in China is impossible (even my thin room mates can barely find things that fit)

So I had my parents ship me my favourite cocktail dress, and (I have 3 formal nights coming up) I'll wear it twice and my black skirt and a blouse the other night

The picture doesn't do it much justice, but it's a v-neck crossover, and empire waist, and I found it when I wasn't even looking for a dress, in a clearance rack back home for $15, I put it on and it made me feel like a Princess.

Picture.jpg

Celandine ~ What a gorgeous dress. I love that color.

Thanks, I do too... I have a full skirt (back home) in a shimmery royal blue and my high school prom dress is also in a darker shiner version of that colour.

I'm hoping to get a picture of me in it either at Christmas or on my cruise, to share...as it really does look better on :D

There are some other lovely dresses here too.

I'm also toying with the idea of getting a tailor to make me one here in China.

Celandine, I love that dress too. I bet it looks fantastic on! With different accessories/shawls you could easily wear it twice.

I know some of the ladies here have ordered dresses from China through Ebay and they are super cheap, and nice. So that would be another great idea.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thought I would chime in...I just ordered these two dresses...do you think they'll be nice enough?

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-sale/l-artiste-maxi-dress.html

and this:

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-sale/sorbetto-delights-dress-in-magenta.html

I'll need to pick up a shawl for both - but I think I should be able to get something that will match both.

Thought I would chime in...I just ordered these two dresses...do you think they'll be nice enough?

and this:

I'll need to pick up a shawl for both - but I think I should be able to get something that will match both.

They are loving. I really like the first one a lot.

and this:

I really like both dresses but, if your asking if they are formal enough it depends on which cruise line your sailing. Both dresses are great if your cruise line is one that leans more towards the casual. You didn't mention which line it was.

I love the blue (turquoise?) color the best-its really pretty! I also think it makes the dress a little dressier becasue the color is so rich! Every dress on this thread was gorgeous! I dont even bring a dress anymore as my husband HATES to get dressed up (he wears a suit and tie to work everyday soooooooooooo) He will wear nice chinos and short sleeve collared shirts and I usually wear white pants or capris with nice sandals and dressy-ish tops. Im also a plus size-its so hard to shop! I ask for "cruisewear" for Xmas from my nieces and they always get me stuff I would never have bought but in the end they look great on!

Hi all! I've been a lurker for the last 2 months. I'm getting too excited to keep lurking!!!

I chose this for formal night .....

347174896_o.jpg

Is this appropriate? Of course different jewelry to dress it up a bit more.

My family and i will be sailing 7 days Royal Carribean/Southern Caribbean. Thanks for your help.

Hi all! I've been a lurker for the last 2 months. I'm getting too excited to keep lurking!!!

I chose this for formal night .....

347174896_o.jpg

Is this appropriate? Of course different jewelry to dress it up a bit more.

My family and i will be sailing 7 days Royal Carribean/Southern Caribbean. Thanks for your help.

I've never sailed on Royal, but I think it's a lovely dress.

Is it one of the convertible styles?