SCUBA Diving - Costa Maya

Dr. Dean

It seems to have been a while since anyone has commented or inquired about how

Costa Maya is for scuba diving (given the emerging popularity of this port with RCL).

Can anyone comment on the quality of diving there and offer an dive shop recommendations?

Thanks!

It seems to have been a while since anyone has commented or inquired about how

Costa Maya is for scuba diving (given the emerging popularity of this port with RCL).

Can anyone comment on the quality of diving there and offer an dive shop recommendations?

Thanks!

I lead all of Cruise Critic's Scuba Cruises, and in June, we dove in Costa Maya. I've been there before in the winter, when the visibility wasn't as good. This year in June we had close to 100 feet visibility, and the diving was remarkably good. But just so you know, my experience with Costa Maya is hit or miss, and though the diving has the potential to be good, due to mainland runoff, it's hard to predict how the diving will be.

It's not nearly as good as Cozumel - but then I was disappointed in Cozumel this year with it's lack of fish - every year, we see fewer fish in Cozumel. By far the best dives this year were in Roatan and in Grand Cayman.

• 5 months later...

We dove with Nomad Divers on our last two visits, and highly recommend them. It's probably the smallest dive operation in Costa Maya, and without a doubt the best! We visit Costa Maya once a year, and dove with Dreamtime, Blue Ocean and Maya Palms, but now that we found Selma and her Nomad Divers, all our future dives will be with her!

http://www.nomaddivers.com

Archived