Alcohol purchase from Ship's Duty free

bostoncruisergirl

Hello, i can't seem to find the exact answer to my question so maybe someone can help me out!

I am cruising Princess for the first time in March. Last year on RCCL we found out that you could buy alcohol in the duty free and pay $9 more to take it to your room. The $9 was per order, not per bottle so if you bought 3-4 bottles all at once it was a surcharge of $9 and you could have all in your room. I am traveling with a large group- 15 of us, in March and we were thinking we could do one group purchase so everyone could have their choice of beverage. Can anyone tell me if Princess does this?

Thank in advance!

Alcohol purchased in the ships shops is held until the end of your trip..you can by bottles at some of the bars to use onboard but is a bit more expensive then the duty free in the shops.....you can not bring hard liquir on board.

On a coastal last year, you could buy it and take it to your room, but they were telling you, that you had to drink it all before you left the ship. We were just buying meyers rum to take home, but there were some people buying royal crown and taking it with them.

I was in the duty free shop on the Island Princess and someone asked to pay extra, (taxes) for a bottle of Vodka.

They said "NO".

This guy said he had been on several cruises on other lines and was able to buy alcohol in the duty free shop...pay a little extra and take it to his room.

Island Princess said NO.

Hello fellow cruiser,

There happens to be a duty free liquor store in the Princess terminal at San Juan with excellent prices from all reports. Just have a carry-on bag with you and place the liquor inside before boarding. Beer, wine, and soft drinks may be carried onboard exposed. We plan to fill a large order before boarding.

See you on the 13th!

Mike:D

Does it work the same way with cigarettes bought onboard? I did have that experience last year on the Golden to Nova Scotia. We were on the Golden again last January but I can't remember what the ships policy was on that cruise because we stopped in St Thomas and I bought my cigarettes there.

Have a transatlantic booked for Aug on the Golden and am wondering whether I will need to buy in NY for the whole cruise (2 wks) or if I can just buy enought to get onboard.

We decided to just send ourselves a gift of the liquor we planned to consume on board. You need to do this aleast a week before sailing to ensure there is receipt of order. After looking a prices, there was little difference unless you are drinking the cheap stuff (princess sells brand). We were really tight on packing and this saved us the hassle of taking up luggage space. We did however, take bottles of wine on board for consumption in the room as I felt the wine prices are a little out of line. We did order a few bottles in the dining room also.

Archived