Is the Prince Conti a nice place for Mardi Gras?

cmlmich

We are planning on being in New Orleans Feb. 17 -20th after a cruise and want to tie it in with Mardi Gras. We have never been there so I am not sure about hotels. I see the Prince Conti has good rates and it appears to be nice rooms with decent reviews. Will this be close to the night life? I take it that if we want any sleep at all, we shouldn't get a room on Bourbon St.? I would like a older place with character and it needs to be clean!

Thank you

Hate to disappoint, but Mardi Gras is late this year. Actual Fat Tuesday is March 8. There is only one parade while you're in town and it's Krewe du Vieux that Saturday. It's the traditional "kick off" parade for Carnival and it's supposed to start rolling through the French Quarter that night. It's small compared to to other parades. Lil Rascals is in Metairie that Sunday at noon if you want to go out to the suburbs.

I wouldn't worry about hotels because the city won't start to get busier until the 26th (the weekend before the "big" weekend) and won't get "Mardi Gras busy" until March 3/4. There is always a big noise level on Bourbon Street but as long as your room is facing away from it, you should be fine. The first parade is tame and normally only locals (with anyone staying in the Quarter thrown in, of course!). It'll be a fun parade but not the grandeur that others are.

Thanks, I knew I wouldn't be able to catch the big parade, I won't be able to get there due to work. Will we still be able to be apart of the partying that I have seen that happens on Bourbon Street? I thought those go on pretty much every weekend around the time I will be there???

Thanks

There's always partying! 24/7 365 :D Just don't be disappointed that it's not like "COPS." LOL! It'll definitely still be festive, no worries, just not as packed as the 2 weeks before Mardi Gras or the weekend before, which is nothing less than insane. Just in case you're interested (there isn't just one big parade):

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

There's always partying! 24/7 365 :D Just don't be disappointed that it's not like "COPS." LOL! It'll definitely still be festive, no worries, just not as packed as the 2 weeks before Mardi Gras or the weekend before, which is nothing less than insane. Just in case you're interested (there isn't just one big parade):

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

Thanks for the info. But will we be there during "bead" season? :D

Thanks for the info. But will we be there during "bead" season? :D

Hi cmlmich,

The Krewe Du Vieux throws beads just like the regular parades do. It's just very different in that their floats are smaller. The participants are mostly on foot (and well lubricated, I might add) so be careful as you can really get close to the action as they pass by. :D

Due to fire codes the big floats that the more traditional use are banned from the French Quarter. Although smaller in scope, this is the only parade that I would have to say is for adults and not for kids. So in other words, grab a "hurricane or a hand grenade" and be prepared to laugh your head off.

Some may say that it's always bead season on Bourbon St. ;) But that's another subject.

As the French Quarter is very compact anywhere that you stay will be close to the "night life" that you mentioned.

Prepare to have a wonderful time post cruise!!!! :)

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

As for the hotel it is only like one block from bourbon and the walls are thin so you can hear every conversation, or whatever, in the room next door and in the hall. Nice, older, but definitely thin walled.

• 2 weeks later...

We love the Prince Conti and stay there whenever we are through New Orleans.(.although we've never come for Marti Gras...). It's a boutique hotel....unique and different...right on the edge of French Quarter and around the corner from Bourbon St. They have always been nice to us....and sometimes we have been upgraded to a larger room ..and yes they do offer specials...that's how we originally found them. Have fun...Cruisy Susy

Archived