Best of Juneau tour + Trail Of Time

govgurl

First, many thanks to all the wise CC'ers who suggested that instead of going ziplining, I agree to go whale watching with my mom. We just booked the Best of Juneau excursion (whale watch + mendenhall glacier trip + salmon bake on Auke Bay) and I'm very very excited.

One more question: According to the brochure, we spend 1 hour at the Mendenhall visitor center. I was thinking I might like to walk around a little, since we have some time there and I don't often get to be on a glacier.

From reading the Parks Service website, it looks like the only walk/hike I could fit in to that time would the Trail of Time tour, a 30 minute walk. Has anyone taken the "Trail of Time", either with this excursion or just by itself?

Do you think it's worth the bother, or should I just plan to stick to wandering the photo point trail near the visitor's center, which also looks lovely. For those that were on this excursion, what did you enjoy doing while you were at the visitor's center? Any other thoughts on this excursion in general?

Only 8 more days until my very first cruise, thank you everyone on this board who has been so helpful and provided such good guidance. I will try to return the favor by writing a review once I get back!

I wouldn't waste your limited time on the "Trail of Time".

The best short hike is not indicated on the map for some strange reason. Just walk towards the glacier along the floor of the valley, starting just below the Visitors Center. You end up at the base of a waterfall.

I have hiked the lower half of the East Glacier Loop, however, it really wasn't a good hike for viewing the glacier.

igraf

From reading the Parks Service website, it looks like the only walk/hike I could fit in to that time would the Trail of Time tour, a 30 minute walk. Has anyone taken the "Trail of Time", either with this excursion or just by itself?

Do you think it's worth the bother, or should I just plan to stick to wandering the photo point trail near the visitor's center, which also looks lovely. For those that were on this excursion, what did you enjoy doing while you were at the visitor's center? Any other thoughts on this excursion in general?

Only 8 more days until my very first cruise, thank you everyone on this board who has been so helpful and provided such good guidance. I will try to return the favor by writing a review once I get back!

Govgurl,

I was in Juneau last Monday, 7/26 and did the Juneau City, Glacier & Hatchery tour. We also only had an hour at the Mendenhall glacier. Our bus driver said if any wanted to do the hike to Nugget Falls that they needed to walk quickly and not take much time at the falls since it is a 45 min trip and he would leave on time with or without people (he did leave on time).

Another bus driver that I passed when walking towards the visitors center was telling her group as they left the bus to definitely NOT go to Nugget Falls.

I walked to the photo op point, very short visit to the Vistor's Center and went on the Settle Creek Trail to see the King Salmon running last since it was the closest to the buses and the hour went by really quickly.

The glacier was awesome even without going to Nugget Falls and I enjoyed seeing the big icebergs up close.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, that is very helpful. I could probably make the walk to Nugget Falls, I'm pretty speedy, but it would have to be a solo journey, as the rest of my family are more turtles than hares (slow and steady wins the race!). The photo point and Settle Creek trail sound nice though, I think I"ll follow your itinerary!

Archived