St John Champagne Catamaran Sailaway

ACRmom

Has anyone done this lately? I am thinking of booking for my family, DH, DSs 17,10 & 3 and myself and was wondering if anyone recommends this excursion, especially for the 3 yr old. Thank you for your help.

(I found a similar thread on the port of call page but no answers, that's why I posted here. :o)

I know this is the port of call board, however, I orginally posted on the carnival board hoping for some answers. (There was already a thread here on the same subject with no answers.) The moderators moved it.

We did this excursion on our last cruise and it was our favourite excursion ever. The boat ride across Pillsbury Sound was great, although if you or anyone in your party are prone to seasickness, I would not recommend it as it can be pretty bumpy. The beach where we anchored was the most beautiful beach we have ever seen. Snorkelling was great, crew on board were fun and friendly and the drinks and munchies were yummy....watch out for the rum punch, it is potent. Luckily the group on board that day were not in a hurry to return to port (captain reported that sometimes passengers are in a rush to get back to shop unfortunately) so we sailed back (rather than motored). Great excursion!

We did this excursion from the Dream in late Jan. this year. about 20 min or longer bus ride from pier to port on other side of island, maybe longer. Boat was well set up, crew great. Seas were choppy but no issue with anyone getting sick. Water off Honeymoon Beach was calm. They will ferry you to beach in an inflatable to start snorkeling or you can start from boat. Water is like the pics, beautiful. Snorkeling was ok but not great as far as things to see. I proposed to my SO on the beach which is part of a national park. Alcohol comes out with some snacks on way back. I wish we had more time on the beach but with bus and travel to the island, that ate up most of the time. I do highly recommend it for what it is but next trip I will look for more beach time in ST.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the same questions as ACRMom. Is this tour appropriate for a 3 year old? Thanks!!

Depends on a couple of things.

1. What do you consider to be "appropriate"?

2. Temperament of the 3 YO.

First part, you sail on a catamarran for about an hour. I liked the bouncing and bumping and the various island sights, the camaraderie of the crew and our fellow pax.

When you get there, the cat anchors. Some folks jump right in and snorkel. Some folks swim to the beach, and some folks get shuttled in by dingy, spend beach time.

Then, about another hour back to dock. Just be aware, a 3 YO cannot run around unsupervised, as it would only take a milli second for him/her to go overboard.

So, I would think that some 3 YOs would have a blast:p and others would find it horrible:eek:.

Hope that is confusing enough for now:confused:

That's just what I needed to know. I wasn't sure how bumpy - treacherous it would be. Our little guy is almost 4 and used to being on small boats (we live near the gulf and often go out with family and friends). I don't think he would like to jump off the boat into the ocean, but I think he could handle getting on a dingy!

Thanks!!

That's just what I needed to know. I wasn't sure how bumpy - treacherous it would be. Our little guy is almost 4 and used to being on small boats (we live near the gulf and often go out with family and friends). I don't think he would like to jump off the boat into the ocean, but I think he could handle getting on a dingy!

Thanks!!

GEEEEEEZ!!!

I didn’t know he has boating experience. That being the case, he will have a blast. Should even be allowed to drive the boat.

Also, if he happens to jump off the cat, just gaff him and fish him back in.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We did this in July 2007 and it was the best Caribbean excursion we have done so far. The boat, snorkling, and setting are wonderful. In fact, we will probably do it again in December.

On the way back to the ship, on our request, we were dropped off at the Tram. We went up, enjoyed the view and also Bushwackers. Then we did some shopping in Charlotte Amalie and rode back to the ship in one of those open air taxis.

We are also looking at this sail. We have done the champagne sunset sail on Castaway Girl and LOVED it. Hoping to book this for our next time in port.

I can't seem to find the times listed on CCL site when looking at the excursions. It only states 4.5 hrs?? Does anyone know what time it begins??

Thanks;)

We are also looking at this sail. We have done the champagne sunset sail on Castaway Girl and LOVED it. Hoping to book this for our next time in port.

I can't seem to find the times listed on CCL site when looking at the excursions. It only states 4.5 hrs?? Does anyone know what time it begins??

Thanks;)

We are in St. Thomas from 10 to 6 and our tour is scheduled from 11:30 to 4:00. Hopefully, there will be a little time left for shopping at the port.

• 3 weeks later...

I do this excursion almost every time I dock in St. Thomas. I think the folks that run this do a first class job at the whole thing, from the upkeep of the catamaran, to the snorkelling, to the snacks and drinks on the way home. Only once did we snorkel somewhere other than Honeymoon Beach, but every time it is really fun. Definitely NOT an excursion for someone who gets seasick, though, I'd say. As far as a three year old on it - there isn't really a whole lot of room for him to move around safely, but as long as he can sit still for a fairly long period of time, he'd probably enjoy it. In my opinion.

We've been trying to decide between this excursion and the Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel. Both appear to be 4.5 hours, but just a different Beach. We've heard Trunk Bay shouldn't be missed, but now seem to be hearing the same about Honeymoon Beach! Not big into snorkeling... just want to maybe float around and play in the water and enjoy a beautiful beach! Any thoughts to help tip the scales to one or the other? Please???

Anyone know how big the cat is...about how many people it takes? Are there shaded areas to sit? Bathroom(s)?

Thanks!

I don't think this is Castaway Girl but believe it is another cat from the same company. Castaway was 65" and had two heads on board. You do have to step down ladder type stairs to use the bathrooms. There should be shaded area down lower on the cat to sit. When we sailed last I would say she could hold about forty but we had about 20 and it was awesome.

We charter a cat in Jamaica and it has shade and two bathrooms also.

Can't wait to sail this one over to St John!

Looking for recent experience and reviews and pics:)

Archived