Can the MDR Hold a Candle to a Real Restaurant in a Foodie Town?

globe9

I'm sure they would but they'd be mighty expensive grapes I'm sure. I'd prefer to use my teeth to just chew them up and save the money to pay for my next cruise even with its subpar dining experience. :p

Maybe I can save a few bucks by supplying the raw material.icon7.gif

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like someone who's concerned about "fine dining" would rather cruise with a more upscale cruise line? I think CCL will suit my husband and me just fine. We're pretty laid-back about most things. It's vacation, which means I don't have to cook or clean!! Yay!

Wow I am from Des Moines and I am impressed with your snobbery! There are a lot of restaurants in this town and many many very good ones. Greg

Fancy high end chain..to unique local top notch to special hole in the walls..I think there are amazing restaurants everywhere..some cities are unbeleivable though..and I look forward to trying them.:) Carnival is amazing for what they do...very good I think..sjn.

Maybe De Moines is a seeper great restaurant city like Portland, Oregon..lots of fresh local stuff there and innovative chefs and produce officiandos..sjn

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like someone who's concerned about "fine dining" would rather cruise with a more upscale cruise line? !

I would certainly hope so, or else they will be a bit disappointed.

Carnevino-Las Vegas

Michael Mina-Las Vegas

The Hobbit-Orange, CA

an the now closed Carnelian Room-San Francisco

I lived just south of San Francisco for near 20 years until 1985. I dined at most of "The City"'s finest restaurants including the Carnelian Room. A surprise was a place called "The Mandarin" in Ghirardelli Square. It carried a Holiday Mag. 5 star rating. Easily the best Asian food I've ever eaten. But even in the 80's a multi-course dinner for 2 with a drink or 2 was about $120.00. But worth every penny.

Finish dinner there and then walk down to the Buena Vista, wedge yourself in the door, and have an Irish Coffee. We went to the BV perhaps 100 times. ALWAYS too crowded to have a seat. Just stand there wedged shoulder to shoulder with locals and tourists alike. When your drink was empty, just hold up a finger or 2 and soon a new Irish Coffee or 2 would float across the top of the crowd to you.:D:cool:

Archived