Passport card????

seacloss

Are the passport cards still available through the US State dept?

The reason I ask is about a month ago I applied right before the rate increase for the card and yesterday recieved the the passport book.

That's pretty cool, although we don't plan (keyword PLAN) on any international air travel in the next 10 years but....

Checked the bank statement and confirmed the price paid was for the passport card not the higher priced passport book.

Soooo.... maybe the government actually screwed up in my favor for once?

Nahh that can't happen.... right?

Are you sure you are looking at the total cost?

I believe that, for a new application, there are two charges. One for the book/card & a separate one for the processing fee.

If this was an renewal, I believe that the processing fee is dropped.

Passport cards are still available and still the absolute waste of money they have been for cruisers! Unless you plan on driving to Canada or Mexico you are wasting your money! A passport card gets you no more to cruise a closed loop cruise then a BC and License. You still can't fly home with it so if you are crusing closed loop save your money or... spend the extra few bucks and get the full passport book.

Passport cards are still available and still the absolute waste of money they have been for cruisers! Unless you plan on driving to Canada or Mexico you are wasting your money! A passport card gets you no more to cruise a closed loop cruise then a BC and License. You still can't fly home with it so if you are crusing closed loop save your money or... spend the extra few bucks and get the full passport book.

You beat me to it as I agree 100%. It was originally designed for those that typically commute (drive) across the border.

Even though they have enhanced DL's (or whatever they're called), it's just a matter of time before you'll need a PP book before you cruise - maybe, maybe not but even CCL's website is pretty adamant as they "suggest" a PP as rules can change.

When you order a passport there are typically two (or three) separate charges. My son just got his PP and he wrote three checks 1) "Local" fee 2) PP fee and 3) fee for photo.

I find it hard to believe they would charge you for a card and send you a book but I'm sure wierder things have happened.

For those of us who live on the border, a passport card makes sense. But if you're planning to travel internationally, even on a "closed loop" cruise, you should have a passport. Yes, I know they're not required, but I was raised by a Scoutmaster who always told his kids "Be Prepared." :) If you travel without one, & something happens, you're going to be in a world of hurt that could have been avoided if you'd had a passport.

What if you had a emergency and had to fly somewhere from a place outside the u.s.? If you don't have a passport book your up a creek without a paddle. Can't fly internationaly without a book:(. If you have a AAA membership just tell them you have a cruise booked with them and they will take two 2x2 pictures (required for your passport application) at no charge, post office charges $15 i think

The passport card is useful in a couple other ways too.

1) Carry it with you when you travel internationally in addition to your book. Should you ever lose your passport book, your passport card serves as positive identification for emergency reissue of your passport book via the embassy.

2) You can use it as ID to board US planes when flying domestically instead of your drivers license. I use my anytime I don't want to show people my address. So I use it at when I get carded (seldom these days but still on random occasion), at the Post Office to pick up certified mail, when having things notorized, etc.

3) It's an easy to carry form of ID for when you need 2 forms of positive identification. I recently needed that in order open a corporate bank account. I just pulled both my DL and my passport card out of my wallet and plopped them down.

- IT Geek

The passport card is useful in a couple other ways too.

I liked the idea of having both for the reasons you mentioned so that is why I got both last month.

Plus with all the discussion on here about taking your passport on shore or not and people saying they take a photocopy of the passport book with them I figure I'd rather have a passport card on me if I chose not to take my book ashore.

Plus it was only $2/year to have before the rate went up.

... If you have a AAA membership just tell them you have a cruise booked with them and they will take two 2x2 pictures (required for your passport application) at no charge, post office charges $15 i think

I didn't know AAA did that! Is that only if you actually have a cruise booked with them? My wife just had photos done at Costco, where it was around $8 I think. Beats the post office price of course.

My friend made the mistake and got 4 Passport cards for her family, only to find out that the reason they got them was to fly to and from foreign city or a non-closed loop cruise. Over 200.00 down the drain and had to get regular passports. Why do people keep getting those things? They are worthless for what you really need them for. Sure, if you are driving then fine, but otherwise, why bother.

I didn't know AAA did that! Is that only if you actually have a cruise booked with them? My wife just had photos done at Costco, where it was around $8 I think. Beats the post office price of course.

I have only booked vacations through aaa so not sure. Don't think they would check though. They just looked at my member card and took the pictures. The lady helping me didn't look on the computer to make sure I was booked through them.

The airlines would nor even let me on a plane with my card from NC to Vegas. I had to get out my drivers license. Made no sense to me but I won't argue with TSA.

Interesting. I would have reported the TSA agent(s) who refused to accept it as official I.D. since it was issued by the federal government and they work for the federal government. Such irony!

The airlines would nor even let me on a plane with my card from NC to Vegas. I had to get out my drivers license. Made no sense to me but I won't argue with TSA.

Absolutely, I would have taken the time to speak to a supervisor because you obviously had an idiot on your hands. After all... he worked for the government.

I don't know if I would ever suggest a passport card instead of a passport, but I carry a passport card in addition to owning a passport. On a cruise it is an enormous convenience for me to keep my passport card and Sign and Sail Card together. Perhaps not everyone agrees, but it is easier to hold on to and harder to lose.

Yes, I pack my passport safely away on a cruise, but still take it with me.

I am one of the people who the card was designed for since I live in Baja, but I respond because I find the card useful.

Some people like the benefits of carrying a gold or platinum credit card, even though they cost more. It is a personal choice... NOT a waste of money.

You need to know and understand the restrictions of a passport card and there are absolute reasons for its existence.

I have both and have used both.

Passport cards are not valid for international flights. They should be ok for domestic flights, as I understand it.

Best not to argue, but if you have the time, ask for a supervisor. Situations like this are one of many reasons "they" don't allow passengers to take pictures.

... If you have a AAA membership just tell them you have a cruise booked with them and they will take two 2x2 pictures (required for your passport application) at no charge, post office charges $15 i think

Passport photos (one set) are free for AAA "Plus" members, regardless of where travel is booked.

"FREE Passport Photos

One set of color passport photos are available instantly to AAA Plus members. They can be used for passports, international driving permits or any other purpose you desire."

http://www.sne.aaa.com/sne/membership/media/docs/membermanual.pdf

Passport photos (one set) are free for AAA "Plus" members, regardless of where travel is booked.

"FREE Passport Photos

One set of color passport photos are available instantly to AAA Plus members. They can be used for passports, international driving permits or any other purpose you desire."

http://www.sne.aaa.com/sne/membership/media/docs/membermanual.pdf

I have never screwed around trying to get PP photos cheap or reduced or whatever. I have a frined that works at the courthouse that does PP's and she mentioned that she has had to turn away some of the photos (from a drugstore) as they weren't even close to acceptable.

I just suggest to go to a PP facility that does photos and pay the price as simplicity and convenience go a long way in my world.

I have never screwed around trying to get PP photos cheap or reduced or whatever. I have a frined that works at the courthouse that does PP's and she mentioned that she has had to turn away some of the photos (from a drugstore) as they weren't even close to acceptable.

I just suggest to go to a PP facility that does photos and pay the price as simplicity and convenience go a long way in my world.

AAA is anthorized to take pictures, they do a wonderful job. Each of my family members got theirs there. As long as the benefit was available I certainly wouldn't pay for a benefit I could get free.

AAA is anthorized to take pictures, they do a wonderful job. Each of my family members got theirs there. As long as the benefit was available I certainly wouldn't pay for a benefit I could get free.

There is no such thing as an "authorized" photographer. There are even instructions to take your own if you want.

My point is free or not, that is one more stop and you are at the mercy of the quality and knowledge of the photographer.

If it works for you, great. I'll just go to the one stop shop and get my PP.

Like I said, there is no "authorization" to take PP photos. You can do it, anyone can do it. If one wants to drive around and make it to a AAA office to save 10 bucks, that's fine.

My point is that I prefer to go to a one stop shop get it done, save travel time and my time. I certainly would pay for something I could get for free. As it is the time and the overall cost that makes a difference to me. I'm not spending 15 - 30 (or more depending on where the AAA office is) minutes chasing 10 bucks.

Passport photos are free for AAA Plus and above memberships, and $ 5 ( I think) for the generic AAA membership.

Archived