QM2 26/02/05 anyone out thier sailing?

Dinkey

Hi,

We are joining the QM2 for the first time on the 26/02/05 and would like to know how formal this ship is in Brittania class? Trouble I seem to be having is what to pack, lightweight for the Caribbean but what is New York like early March? Travelling from the UK don't want to much luggage to carry.

It would be nice to meet up with anyone out thier who will be on board at the same time, maybee meet up for a drink or two?

Cheers

I posted a Roll Call earlier, and no one responded! I too will be on the QM2 for the first time, boarding in Ft Lauderdale and disembarking in NY. I do think that one can mix and match for the Britannia restaurant, erring on the side of fancier than casual. I try to bring one/two black dresses and several different jackets.

NY can be horrid in March, but I would bring layers and who cares if you are just going to the airport and home? I was just in London and had layers, but I think it's more mild than NY.

Do let's meet!!

Jane in Philadelphia

We traveled in Britannia for a Caribbean cruise last year, and found the dress there to be very tastefully in accordance with the dress code: formal on formal nights, still formal on informal nights, and dressy for casual nights. On this kind of cruise, you'll want to err on the side of being too formal. It's such an amazing experience!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to embarkation as I have had mixed reports from my fellow Travel Industry collegues, I missed the ship visits last year as I was on vacation.

This however is a special trip for us as it is our Silver Wedding Anniversary, and also looking forward to meeting a lot of new friends.

Cheers

T&M

Hello...We just booked the Feb 26 sailing yesterday and Jane Pond you are our neighbor 7 doors down!! We were on the waitlist for the past couple of months for this cruise and our agent called 7am Monday morning. This will be our first cruise on the QM2. We were scheduled to sail last September but had a family emergency and had to cancel the week before departure. We booked our flight yesreday at lunch but we are leaving the morning of the cruise which makes me a little nervous. We usually leave the day before and the only reason for this is if the luggage is lost in transition I have time to shop! lol

Hi Dinky! Congratulations on you Anniversary we must toast the occasion onboard. I know that you were inquiring about the weather in New York and unfortunately or maybe fortunately I cannot help you. We live in the South and anything under 65 degrees is sweater weather! You laugh but I am serious...

We will be traveling to your side of the pond in May. I hope you can give me a few travel recommedations.

Well, thisx will be fun! I too worry about weather and like to arrive early (at least a day) for a cruise, even in nice weather. I shall fly from Philly after work on Friday. I have a 12 noon embarkation time and will be staying close to the airport for the night. I am with a party of 6 others, of whom I know 2! It will be fun to meet new friends. And, to paraphrase the saying, 'You know where I live!"

Jane in PHL

We were in the Deep South last June so realise how hot it does get around that area a little different from the Northern England temp which we have to put up with. Looking forward to some nice weather next week as it is snowing over here.

Hope to meet up with you both next week, unfortunatley no cabin allocated yet.

Cheers

Hi Dinky...What part of the South did you visit? The weather here in Atlanta can reach 100+, but we usually enjoy the mid to upper 80's most of the summer. The winters are really quite mild, but ocasionally we get a little snow or ice. Three weeks ago we received less than an inch of ice and there was not a loaf of bread or gallon of milk to be had! Hundreds of people had auto wrecks. The whole city shuts down. I don't dare leave the house if we have any sort of frozen precipitation. It is comical the way we overreact!

Jane...I have not received or documents so I have no idea the time of our embarkation. I probably won't receive the docs until friday. Spontaneity has its advantages, but I am always uptight until I have the docs in hand. My biggest problem now is to figure what to pack and stay within the airline restrictions. I am the worst overpacker...ever!

I am getting better about packing, and with all the people, who notices? I figure a black dress, black slacks and lots of tops and jackets. End of discussion. Who cares what you wear if you repeat? And, of course, it's not likely you will see anyone else ever again<G>. And they will like you for you and not what you wear.

A tip from a poster on another board suggests taking large balloons, blowing them up, and then drying one's 'smalls' on them in the bathtub. Made sense to me, but I hope the QM2 has a wash line in the bathroom. See you soon!

Jane in PHL

Hi

We landed in Atlanta and stayed overnight on outward and return took the train into the city from the airport. Did a complete circle of Nashville, Memphis, Biloxi, New Orleans etc. Favourite was the Jack Daniels Distillary was a little dissapointed in Memphis.

Just read the thread regarding up-grade, unfortunatley I am on a Travel Industry rate so proberbly in the lower grade, tried several times to find where they have allocated me but they won't let on until embarkation next Saturday.

Still putting things into my luggage and taking them out again!

Husband jokes that the Irish will be left in the lower part of the ship as on the Titanic ha,ha.

Cheers

Trish & Mick Doolan

Here's the information on the 'Enrichment Speakers'. I really enjoy the Randy Wayne White books, set in SW Florida.

>"Best-selling Florida mystery author Randy White will be featured in Queen Mary 2's Caribbean Authors Series. Dr. Myles Standish of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory will offer talks on space and engineering, from designing spacecraft to the Panama Canal. Steven Rivellino is a producer on Broadway and at Radio City Music Hall. He talks about New York theatre and where it is headed. David Pasta will offer talks related to the geography of the Caribbean region and its special features. Sue Ellen Wilder will offer a series of creative arts workshops on watercolor painting. Eric Gall is the Canyon Ranch Spa guest speaker, illuminating issues of health and well being."

Jane in PHL

Hi Jane! Thank you for the enrichment information. We have yet to receive our docs so it is nice to have a heads up on the activities onboard. Cunard said that we will not be receiving the nice documents ours will be plain ole paper....I am curious what do your docs look like? I honestly don't care if ours come written in crayon as long as I can get on the boat!

Dinky, I know what you mean about Memphis it is a tired city. Are you and your husband leaving early to spend time in Florida before the cruise? We met a couple of delightful Scots on a cruise and we still keep in touch. They live in Ayr, and we are going to meet up with them in May for a round of golf. I am looking forward to that trip because two of our four boys will be traveling with us.

Well, my final documents came in a little booklet, with a tear out page for signing my life away <G> and then the luggage tags are in the back. It's packaged in a stiff leather holder with two pockets, room for plane tickets, etc. Not as nice as Seabourn and no luggage tags, but I shall cope. I got the big booklet with the tours listed earlier. But I doubt I wll get off the ship, after a few Carribean cruises, the islands all look alike to me.

I just recently went to Savannah and am considering retiring there (which has nothing to do with cruising, but it is near the water)

Jane in PHL

Jane... Savannah is a nice town. Years ago I attended Georgia Southern and we would road trip a couple of time a month to Savannah. It was a quick getaway for bored college students. I like all of the Antebellum homes that line the streets and the moss that drapes from the trees. Are you originally from the South? I want to retire futher South, as I have no tolerance for the cold. When I say cold we are not talking Pennsylvania cold...I mean anything under 60! I am probably the only person you will meet that takes sweaters to the caribbean.

Thanks for the discription of your docs...we will not receive the excursion list until we board, but like you we have been to caribbean quite a few times and I am not worried about the activities off the ship.

Oh boy did we run into a snag yesterday. We were informed that we have to be at on of our clients corporate offices on Wed the 23 in Florida. Corporate office sounds more professional than the actual location... The Golf course. Some of the execs that we work with have asked Jr to meet them on the course for the 24th. I found a flight from Atlanta to Ft. Walton but there are no direct flights from Ft Walton to Fort Lauderdale. All of the flights to Fort Lauderdale come back through Atlanta...this sounds like an opportunity to loose the luggage. To remedy our situation I have rented a vehicle one way. I wish he could have politely declined, but this is one of those accounts that keeps me cruising!

That's good! So we will be at least 5 celebrating the Doolan's anniversary. I agree about lost luggage and always carry one outfit in my carry-on justs in case. I have two flight reservations to FLL on Friday night, one made with USAir in hope they wouldn't fold and one with Air-Tran just in case<G>. Might try Air Tran just to see.

Jane and yes, Savannah is warm/cold enough for me. Philly is not, but I am not planning to move just yet. Will stay cruising...

I just got this information from my TA about our evenings:

> 3 formal nights; 2/27, 3/02, and 3/05.

> 7 casual nights,

> 1 informal night

and

> 3 balls, Pirates, Black & White, and Grand Mask (masks optional).

The Black & White theme makes me think of My Fair Lady

Jane in PHL

Archived