How do Thomson ships compare?

I have been looking at all the different Cruise companies, and although the Thomson stay&cruise packages really appeal to me I am wondering how the ships, in size ,comfort, amenities etc. match up to the big ones, e.g. Princess & P.O. And do the Thomson ships have balconies?:confused:

I started a reply earlier, but our internet went down, and couldn't send it, then lost it. Anyway, here goes again!

I was speaking to somebody yesterday, who had just come back from a P&O cruise. She had been on 2 Thomson cruises, so had something to compare.

She sailed from Southampton, but wouldn't do that again, as it was rough seas over the Bay of Biscay and she was ill. Also, she wasn't too thrilled about the number of days at sea, as the ship had to get to the ports abroad. The ship she went on was very glamourous compared to Thomson ships, but it wasn't really needed. Thomson was nice enough. The cabins were slightly smaller than Thomson. Not important to me, as it was only used for sleeping and showering etc., but she had 3 beds in hers.

All in all it cost her a fortune, as she had All inclusive on Thomson (drinks)

and the flight cost and hotel cost in Southampton from here in Scotland.

P&O tell you how much to tip too. Its all included in Thomson cruises, and you only tip if you want to. The cost of Thomson cruises was more than P&O, that was why she went with them, but I think she spent as much on P&O, so it evened itself out.

This is only some thoughts on P&O ships compared to Thomson. Its not meant to sway you either way. Its up to you to make your own mind up.

Sue

Hi

Its difficult to answer really because it depends on what you want and to be fair your age.

Thomsons are really good, or rather we like them, but if you are expecting climbing walls, water chutes and Las Vagas style entertainment you will not get it.

Thomson suit us fine, good food, small but clean cabins, good staff, good shows, good dancing opportunites, good company. Nothing pretentious. Just good.

We travel on FO as well and think they are great. FO are have more stylish decor and furnishings than Thomson, but all other things are around the same.

If a ship is 45000 tonne and a ship is 100,000 tonne there are more amenities and people if you see what I mean.

All in all Thomson are good value cruising, with ships that feel like a ship not a floating Las vegas hotel. But as i say if that's what you want go for the big glitzy ships.

We love Las Vegas so am not running that down but i do not want to cruise on that sort of ship, I would rather go to Las vegas.:)

Our friends went with Royal Carb' and thought they were good, they cruise with Thomsons and FO as well.

We have never been struck on the cruise and stay as I can imagine the stay would be an anticlimax after a cruise. Go for back to back cuises:)

Sound like a Thomson rep, but we will be travelling on a P&O adult only cruise next year so maybe will see what the differences are then.

Balcony ? Do you know I can not rememeber as we get an inside cabin.

have a good one whatever.

Archived