No Show or Cancel?

stacieps

Wow...that is really nice of your troop to pay for these kids and really stupid of these parents to have NOT taken care of this, especially since you all apparently sent out the info

I feel bad for the kids too, they are going to be so disappointed...and it seems the troop is the losing party....the money spent on the 3 who can't go is a waste.

JMO>>> hopefully you will have a great cruise but in future I would not even include NON usa citizen scouts unless their parents show the documentation a month (or whatever) before the cruise

the parents who refused to pay to "expedite" the passports???....just sad. This all could have been so easily solved or they could have told you sooner when the troop could have gotten a refund

At any rate, hope something works out ....and hope you and the girls have a wonderful cruise

Next time it might be a good idea to tell the parents to adopt a motto used by scouts:

BE PREPARED :D

Hope you and the girls have a fantastic cruise. :)

I'm sure those that go will have a great time. As far as next time . . . hmmmm . . . will I really want to do this again . . .???

I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on other threads, but . . .

I have a group of 8 booked in 2 cabins for the Fascination leaving 8/21 (flying to FL on 8/20). It now appears that 2 or 3 may not be able to go (1 in one room, 2 in the other).

The 1 is listed as passenger #4 in room 1

The 2 are listed as passengers #2 and #4 in room 2.

The problem is Passports. All at issue are minors (this is a Girl Scout trip). Two girls are sisters and the family waited until mid-July to apply for passports (they are now US citizens but were not born here, so BC will not work) - they called for status today and were told they are still in process and they likely will not have them in time.

The 3rd is a US Permanent Resident, not a citizen, and she is waiting on her passport of her home country. She hopes to have her passport by Wednesday.

I certainly don't want to cancel any of them now since there is a chance of a miracle and the passports could come, so, os there any reason to cancel before Saturday or do the rest of us just show up and notify them at check-in if some didn't make it? I believe I've read here since there is no refund, we shouldn't cancel and should just have them be no-shows, but this is a new situation for me, so I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Please note that my wife and I, both former Canadian citizens, and now new US Citizens, each applied for and received our passports in three weeks. One of us applied before the fee increase and one applied a couple of days after July 21, so I think you have a strong chance of getting the last two you need just in time. As others have said, better to just have a no show than to cancel at this point.

I feel really sorry for the girls that may have to miss out because their parents didn't do their part. If they had paid for the cruise themselves, they probably would have gotten the passports in advance.

If there is a next time, you may want to think about having some type of agreement that the parents will be responsible for reimbursing the troop for expenses incurred due to this type of issue.

You can go to the local passport office in your area with the cruise funpass in hand and they will expedite that day. It may be a long wait, but worth it.

Are you sure you need passports? Children under a certain age do not need them, just their B/C's and that is depending on where you go. Bahama's and Caribbean do not need them. If you are going to Mexico, that is another story.

The one who is not a permanant citizen has a problem, though.

Are you sure you need passports? Children under a certain age do not need them, just their B/C's and that is depending on where you go. Bahama's and Caribbean do not need them. If you are going to Mexico, that is another story.

The two sisters are 13. They were not born in US - they were born in Germany or Bosnia, so I can't use their Birth Certificates. Their parents became naturalized US Citizens about 6 years ago, and so, that is when they became US citizens. It appears that the passport is what they need for identification (I'm not willing to chance taking them without it since I don't want to be in a position where they may be denied boarding).

The girl who is not a US citizen is now all set - she received her passport today and can use that combined with her US Permanent Resident id.

You are reading too much into this. Break it down (red letters below) and you will see that what you quoted only applies to European cruises.

Dave

There seems to be some inconsistency in

information. This is what I found:

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS

Note: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative does not pertain to U.S. Alien Residents.

Valid, Unexpired, Alien Resident Card with a Government-Issued Photo I.D.

Photo I.D. Information (if not on the Alien Resident Card)

A Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age or older.

Sources of Photo I.D:

Driver's License

Driver’s Permit

Government issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Cruises that visit Bermuda

U.S. Alien Residents must present their valid, unexpired Alien Resident Card in addition to their birth certificate or Passport from country of origin.

Cruises that visit Europe

Alien Residents must carry a valid passport from the country of citizenship and a valid, unexpired, Alien Resident Card. Alien Residents are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.

well, the parents finally showed some interest in getting these 2 sisters their passports. With the help of a friend, they've gotten an appointment for today to have passports issued. We had to have a few forms notarized last night because one parent is unable to go today.

So, won't truly believe it until I have the passports in hand, but it looks like all may work out and we may have out whole group on the trip.

Sounds like you are going to need a vacation when this Thing is over with .may I suggest a cruise rofl.

Good for the parents who finally shown a interest in there kids and I hope you all have a great time.

Have the parents contact their US Senator or House of Representatives office. One of the funtions of the administrative assistants in those offices is to assist with passport needs. They can have someone go in person to the office in D.C. and then track it down. Should be able to get it within 24-48 hrs.

I can't begin to imagine the grief those girls must be giving their parents! From "I'm going on a cruise with my friends!" to "What, I'm not going because you didn't do the paperwork????" Let the tears and whining begin!!! That's what really motivated those parents to get the papers in order!!!

I can't begin to imagine the grief those girls must be giving their parents! From "I'm going on a cruise with my friends!" to "What, I'm not going because you didn't do the paperwork????" Let the tears and whining begin!!! That's what really motivated those parents to get the papers in order!!!

I believe that 110%!!!

I know if it had been me and that happened, there wouldn't have been a word in the English language to describe how livid I would have been.

I feel really sorry for the girls that may have to miss out because their parents didn't do their part. If they had paid for the cruise themselves, they probably would have gotten the passports in advance.

If there is a next time, you may want to think about having some type of agreement that the parents will be responsible for reimbursing the troop for expenses incurred due to this type of issue.

That was my first thought. The girls are being denied the trip because their parents didn't get it done...not something the girls could probably do on their own. As you said, if they had paid for it, I bet they would have the passports....

I do cruise check in and depending on the immigration officer they might be able to sail. The one that is a legal alien resident... have them bring their ARC card and expired passport to the ship. Depending on what countries you are visiting you might get away with that. I don't know how the other two could get a US passport with foreign passport with no proof of naturalization. Is it safe to assume that they send in the expired US passports? If not... bring the BC and expired passport and that might pass as well.

Archived