Kayaking vs Chankanaab

Ubermann

We need some advice from experienced Cozumel visitors.

We're heading to Cozumel on the Costa Atlantica on 2/27. First time to Cozumel, first time on a cruise.

We're at Cozumel from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. There is a kayaking tour that we'd like to take that will take 5 hours. We don't know what time the tour starts but we assume there is a morning departure.

The problem is we'd also love to swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab. First of all, is it possible to "drop-in" and swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab or do you have to arrive as part of a tour?

Secondly, are we being too ambitious to try and fit both plans into one day?

Thirdly, if we can't do both... which would you recommend?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Ted

You can book the dolphin swim on your own at Chankanaab (advance reservations required)........no need to go with a tour. However, if you really want to go on that kayaking tour, I'd stick with that only. Being in the sun that long tends to tire you out (it does me, at least). It's all about what you want to do. We spent a wonderful day at Chankanaab (didn't swim with the dolphins....just snorkeled, explored, relaxed). It's a great place but I cannot compare it to the kayak tour, as I haven't taken it.

Decisions......decisions.......

Hopefully, others will post their experiences. Good luck.

The problem is we'd also love to swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab. First of all, is it possible to "drop-in" and swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab or do you have to arrive as part of a tour?
In a word, no. The chance that you can do the dolphin swim as a drop in is so small as to be nonexistent. As you can imagine, this is a very popular activity so advanced reservations are a must. Even now, they might be sold out for the day you are there.

First see if you can get a reservation for a swim, then you can plan the rest of the day around that. That way, if you can't get in, you will be free to plan other explorations.

Secondly, are we being too ambitious to try and fit both plans into one day?
It would be for me, but it might not be for you. I don't enjoy feeling the pressure of trying to do a lot on a day in port. Chankanaab park is a really nice place, but because I'm cheap, I'd spend the day there after paying the $12 admission.

If the Kayak tour sounds fun to you, then do that and enjoy some beach time afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived