Does John Heald guarantee anything?

I Luv Crusin

Just saw this on his blog:

I have read on Cruise critic recently that you will ensure that we will get a table for 2 on our next cruise. What will I need to do to implement this scenario as I do not want what happened on our last cruise to happen again where we were placed with passengers who did not have the same social standing and values that my wife and I have.

Unbelievable!!!!!

Oh, John's answer as gracious as ever:

I will be happy to try and organize a table for 2 for you and your wife. Please send me your sailing date, ship and cabin number. Please remember that I will need at least 3 weeks before your sailing date. Best wishes to you both.

I have read on Cruise critic recently that you will ensure that we will get a table for 2 on our next cruise. What will I need to do to implement this scenario as I do not want what happened on our last cruise to happen again where we were placed with passengers who did not have the same social standing and values that my wife and I have.

Unbelievable!!!!!

I will be happy to try and organize a table for 2 for you and your wife. Please send me your sailing date, ship and cabin number. Please remember that I will need at least 3 weeks before your sailing date. Best wishes to you both.

All I can say is .......WOW :eek:!!!

Does this exclude passengers who are a higher social standing and have better values?:rolleyes:

Perhaps John should recommend Room Service

I was worried about someone getting stick sitting with my 2YO. Now I have to worry about my social status too. (Hey I am on Carnival, not one of those yachts, right?)

It's not a yacht... it's bigger... and better!

:)

I also did a touble take when I read about the same social standing.

Maybe we should submit a tax return to Carnival when we book so they can put us with folks with the same social standing.

Not sure how you do values though.

Hope they get a table for two so they do not have to bother other people.

Unbelievable!!!!!

Wow I sure hope in that case John makes his best effort to ensure they get that table for two...just to spare their poor table mates. I couldn't imagine having to sit with someone like that. :eek: I love that when we are on a cruise we meet lots of new people without all that "What do you do for a living?" "How big is your house?" kinda stuff :)

Prior to my last Carnival cruise, I asked on his blog if he could arrange my Canadian Victory cruise head south to Bermuda, making a right instead of a left out of NY harbor.

My request was not honored.

Unbelievable!!!!!

That statement did cause a conversation here at home, glad we are not sailing with that couble. I hope we never meet that couble. Not to start anything but John will see a big difference with people on west coast cruiseing.

Unbelievable!!!!!

I sure hope they get their request granted to spare the poor other passengers that would have been forced to sit with them at a table. Unbelievable how some people are.

That statement did cause a conversation here at home, glad we are not sailing with that couble. I hope we never meet that couble. Not to start anything but John will see a big difference with people on west coast cruiseing.

John is a real believer in the 'kill 'em with kindness' school of thought. There's also quite a bit of 'turn the other cheek' in there...

:)

If Karma is working properly, I see them seated at the loudest, most boysterous table. And of course everyone should be dressed in cutt offs and "you might be a redneck" t-shirts.

But then I'm just contrary like that. :D

Unbelievable!!!!!

I was lucky enough to be seated next to some folks like this on our last cruise. Not table mates, but seated in the booth next to ours. The lady, complained non stop about their table assignment being in the ghetto slums of the dining room. Everyone I saw, except them, was conducting themselves very well, laughing and very much enjoying thier time in the MDR. On the 3rd night, after hearing all of it I was going to tolerate, I gave her very plain directions to the Maitre D and told her that he would be more than happy to direct her to the buffet line on Lido deck if he couldn't help her get out of the ghetto slum. Never heard her complain again. :D

Think of it this way. We took a dinner cruise in Hawaii. A couple we had met earlier, came up to our table and asked if they could join us. It turned out they had been seated, as he described it, in a table full of Chinese speaking only Chinese and were made very uncomfortable. They were indeed a very nice couple and had a good time with the people at our table.

Sitting at a table with people who speak another language that one does no understand, can be very uncomfortable. Maybe these people had already had a bad experience like that.

FYI, I speak spanish as well as english, and I understand how a person can feel when surrounded by people speaking a language they don't understand.

I was worried about someone getting stick sitting with my 2YO. Now I have to worry about my social status too. (Hey I am on Carnival, not one of those yachts, right?)

Wow I sure hope in that case John makes his best effort to ensure they get that table for two...just to spare their poor table mates. I couldn't imagine having to sit with someone like that. :eek: I love that when we are on a cruise we meet lots of new people without all that "What do you do for a living?" "How big is your house?" kinda stuff :)

I sure hope they get their request granted to spare the poor other passengers that would have been forced to sit with them at a table. Unbelievable how some people are.

It's funny - but all these responses just assume the worst of those people. There was a rather long thread about bad tablemates here recently - any thought that maybe these people on their last cruise were sat with the guy in the wife beater shirt with his armpit hair smelling up the table and the wife who sat at the table snapping her gum all the while ignoring thing 1 and thing 2 who are yelling, running around the table and eating with their hands?

Maybe he was using "social standing" to mean someone with manners, dignity or class? He also mentions "values" - maybe he was sat with the teeotalers who were judgemental? Or people who berated him and his wife for their political or religious views?

Maybe he just wanted to ensure that he and his wife can enjoy dinner in peace and instead of giving some big, long, complex explanation he was just trying to be delicate?

I also did a touble take when I read about the same social standing.

Maybe we should submit a tax return to Carnival when we book so they can put us with folks with the same social standing.

Not sure how you do values though.

Hope they get a table for two so they do not have to bother other people.

I once went for a job that I had to take a test in which they ask questions about your "social intergrety", you know like "what would you do if you saw someone stealing" or "what would you do if you knew someone was breaking the rules". I guess Carnival should implement testing for table positions as well as tax returns. Geez, they may just make me eat slop in my room with no room service if I didn't test up to some peoples expectations.

It is funny to hear this complaint about others social standing when this person obviously has no social skills. I personally do not consider myself to be in any particular social class and feel very comfortable with my lot in life; however I have been in a variety of situations with people of different social abilities and found that life seems to be full of more fun and love when hanging out with those that love to laugh and enjoy life.

Taking out the comments about the why.....and sticking to the table for two issue, we too have been wondering after seeing so many requests for tables for 2 on John's blog.

We only get a table for two on a cruise because we often work 16 hours days on opposite days and in two different places. Therefore, we can go weeks at a time "at home" without seeing each other and writing notes for each other to "keep in touch" (Did I mention we have been happily married for 35 years-:p)

Cruising several times a year is the ONLY time we get to see each other and we stay to ourselves. Many times, cruises are the only time we get to eat a meal together. Therefore, we want a table for two only. Once we were Platinum, we thought it meant "guaranteed dining preferences" (it says that on our paperwork) It worked for awhile that we got a table for two, and then suddenly on the Victory cruise last year, there was open seating for the first might. That is when we saw that the table listed on our S & S card was a table of 8. When we asked, we were told there was no tables for two available. We tipped the waiter that night, never retruned to the dining room again, and took the gratuities off for the diningroom because we were forced to eat at the buffet or room service to get our table for two. We NEVER take the tips off, but if we book cruises a year ahead of time, and we have guaranteed dining, we feel we should be able to get a table.

With all the "tables for two" being requested, we wonder if the dining room will become a place we never eat on cruises. We have learned to check now when we get on the ship that it is indeed a table for 2, and the last cruise it was. We will continue to check...we do not like anytime dining as we like the traditional set dining.

We just worry that with all the requests made to John, what happens to the rest of us who do not go the route of asked for favors on John's blog?

We don't want to give up eating in the dining room as that is what we do prefer.

Archived