Diving in Grand Cay and Coz

WylieB

Hello all, I'm sailing on the Grandeur Oct 18th and am wanting to do some diving in both ports (Grand Cayman and Cozumel). I've been to both ports before but haven't dived either one yet. So this cruise I'm concentrating on that. Has anyone had any experiences with the local dive operators in either place? Don't know whether to book my dives through RCCI or go with locals. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Wylie.

If you're comfortable diving without a guide, the shore diving off Grand Cayman is a great way to get in some wonderful dives without booking ahead or spending a lot. Eden Rock is a short walk from the pier and Sunset House is a little further down, but less crowded. Use your own gear or rent from either place. It's a bit trickier to book a boat trip because of your port arrival times and the need to tender to shore. Most cruises arrive too late to catch the morning trips, and leave too early to do the afternoon. If you're more comfortable with a guided dive, it may be best to book with the cruise line. I think you can also hire a guide at Eden Rock, but you may want to check with them before you get there. (after looking at Eden Rock's website, I see they have a boat that goes out at 9:30 - might work for some cruises)

Of course one of the main draws to diving in Grand Cayman is "the wall". If your a good swimmer, it's possible to do this as a shore dive, but many people find it a bit too much of a challenge. I would hope this would be offered as a dive with the cruise line, but I'm not sure.

I've found dive operators in Cozumel are much more flexible accommodating Cruise Ship passengers. I've used ScubaWithAlison twice on cruises there and can recommend her first hand.

Lots more info on both places in the Scuba/Snorkeling forum located here.

Good luck and have fun. Wish I could join you.

Archived