Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

We had a great time in Ocho Rios. A group of 6 of us from the Freedom cut a deal with a red plated taxi driver named Eggy Leroy. Eggy took us to see the real Jamaica. We rode up the mountain and into the jungle, up to a waterfall and an open air bar. To our back was a fantastic view of the ship in port.

While we were parked at the waterfall Eggy went a short way into the jungle and returned with a basket of leaves. He called us all together and grabbed several items from the basket asking us each to smell them. One of the items was spearmint, another was lemongrass and the final was allspice. The aroma of fresh spices is really amazing compared to what you get here at home!

Later in the trip he took us to a local place past Dunns River that sold "Potato Pudding". He went in and came out with 3 aluminum foil pouches that contained some of the most wonderful spiced bread that man ever baked. They were baked in dutch ovens inside old truck tire rims. The man took good care of us and he treated us like friends. We tipped him well and if I ever go back again I will be looking him up.

We did get to see the real Jamaica and its working people. I gained a whole new outlook on life that day and a true appreciation for everything that I have here at home.

Has anyone met up with this guy? On our way up the mountain this guy was blocking our path in the roadway on stilts. The only way to get him to move was to stick some money out of the window of the cab. It was well worth the $5 to see a man dance on stilts!

I would do Jamaica again and feel everyone should see it at least once.

Richie

Sounds like you had fun. Next time we go back, we should do something like that.

Just wondering, did you book your excursion thru Carnival? We're leaving next Saturday on the Freedom and we've booked our Dunn River Falls/Dolphin Cove thru Carnival. I'm hoping we have a better experience since it's not an independent booking.

I'm not the poster you were asking, but we did the same exact excursion and it was fine. We had no problems at all.

I'm not the poster you were asking, but we did the same exact excursion and it was fine. We had no problems at all.

Thanks Mary!

We have friends (college acquaintances) who are missionaries in Jamaica on the Mo Bay side. She frequently posts pictures and videos. She also tells us of their 'adventures' (some are very scary). She's told me to never go off on your own and always stay in a group, learn to say 'no' to the venders and keep walking. Some of the places she and her husband go (out in the mountain paths and jungles) just amazes me how they can do it.

She just posted a video last week of a group of a teen summer missions group where they took them to Dunn River Falls. Looks like they had a great time.

When exiting Dunn's River Falls, they will try to direct you through the vendors market, off to the right, telling you this is the way out, to the parking lot, so you go 'OK' and that' s where all the hasseling starts.:eek: You can't find you way out of that maze of vendors.

The REAL EXIT IS TO THE LEFT when you exit the top of the falls at the stairs and bipasses all the vendor stuff-----and the harrasement. ;)

After we got suckered once through that maze, we found our way out on other visits.

On our one and only trip to Ocho Rios DW was pretty much held captive in the exit area of Dunns River Falls until I forked $10 over to get the hell out of there. No way will I ever go back to Jamaica.

I believe they're playing with fire and its only a matter of time before something really bad happens there so I say they should leave before someone is killed.

I could take this sentence and complete it with almost any state or country.

To answer the the OP's question, no. I would like to go back to Jamaica.

Just came back from a cruise yesterday. We went to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel.

First off, I'd like to state that we had a wonderful time in Cayman and Cozumel. The people were a little pushy when selling, but we expect that (have to earn a living right?). Jamaica was a different story...

The shuttle buses were overcharging the passengers, taking them to places they didn't want to go (I'm guessing they get a kickback), and trying to get the passengers to stay on board so they could take them deep into Jamaica, for an additional fee of course.

On our ride back, the cab driver agreed to one fee to get us to the ship, and half way through told us that it would be $10.00 more, or we'd have to get out.

Apparently this was the experience of many of the Carnival guests. Obviously I didn't talk to every passenger on board (about 3k of them), but the 30 or 40 people I did ask had nothing good to say.

I don't want to turn this into a B**** fest, but I wanted to see what others thought?

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster?

PS - The one positive is that the water was beautiful!

I've never had these kind of bad experiences in Jamaica, so I would say, no, Jamiaca should not be taken off the roster.

When exiting Dunn's River Falls, they will try to direct you through the vendors market, off to the right, telling you this is the way out, to the parking lot, so you go 'OK' and that' s where all the hasseling starts.:eek: You can't find you way out of that maze of vendors.

The REAL EXIT IS TO THE LEFT when you exit the top of the falls at the stairs and bipasses all the vendor stuff-----and the harrasement. ;)

After we got suckered once through that maze, we found our way out on other visits.

This is hardly unusual. Here in the U.S., amusement parks, zoos, etc funnel you through the shops to reach the exit. The exit at Miami Metro Zoo directs you through the gift shop. And at Lion Country Safari in Palm Beach County, the exit from the area of the park that you walk through takes you through the gift shop. Even Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in Las Vegas funnels you through the gift shop to exit!

My husband and I are going on this excursion with our son and his wife. DH and I will not be able to complete the entire trek up the falls. Is there a way to go in the water when we want and then go up to the top and exit without climbing the falls in the water completely? This concerns me because we don't want to get lost from the group.

This is hardly unusual. Here in the U.S., amusement parks, zoos, etc funnel you through the shops to reach the exit. The exit at Miami Metro Zoo directs you through the gift shop. And at Lion Country Safari in Palm Beach County, the exit from the area of the park that you walk through takes you through the gift shop. Even Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in Las Vegas funnels you through the gift shop to exit!

Sure that's common but those shops are usually fun to browse in and the shopkeepers aren't grabbing and pestering the patrons.

At Dunn River our tour guide told us after we was done with the falls she would walk us back to the bus and not to go to the market area and to stay together as a group. Also she said if we bought videos or to tip to tell them to met us at the bus to exchange money.

I loved jamacia and would go back in a heartbeat!

No! My favorite port day on the Western Itinerary was Carnival's excursion to the beach in Ocho Rios with entertainment food, drink and dancing. Everyone was so good to us and although some tried to sell their wares outside the barriers of the excursion, all were polite.

It was pouring rain by the time we left, but even in the rain, the locals were happy and courteous. I don't think you can judge a whole island by a few people that are aggressive.

Sure that's common but those shops are usually fun to browse in and the shopkeepers aren't grabbing and pestering the patrons.

Funny, I actually enjoyed the vendors at Dunn's River (I love to browse the outdoor markets on any island), and got a couple of nice items at decent prices. I actually think I am a pretty good at negotiating for the price I want to pay (tongue-in-cheek). Clearly, everyone's experiences are different, but I've never had shopkeepers grabbing at me or unrelenting once I've respectfully told them, "No, thanks. Just looking".

I actually find the stalls in Caribbean locales such as Jamaica fun to browse and have purchased some really nice items. To each his own, I suppose.

I have to say, I have never been "grabbed" by a shopkeeper in Jamaica or anywhere.

Also, I imagine sales associates in tourist/gift shops in the U.S. are getting an hourly wage just for being on duty, whether customers buy something or not. There's no reason to "pester" the customers. Many of these island shopkeepers are owner operators--if they don't sell, they don't eat. There's no hourly wage. Ever been to a furniture store (or any retailer whose staff relies on commision) here in the U.S.? Talk about being pestered.

I didn't read the whole thread but enough to get the jist of it.

We are pretty divided here so I doubt Carnival will anger one group by taking it off the roster. However the dissenting group has the option of not booking iteneraries that include Jamaica or just plan for a fun day onboard if the ship does call in Jamaica.

That would work for me!

My husband and I are going on this excursion with our son and his wife. DH and I will not be able to complete the entire trek up the falls. Is there a way to go in the water when we want and then go up to the top and exit without climbing the falls in the water completely? This concerns me because we don't want to get lost from the group.

There are a few exit points along the way where you can get out or in if you want. My daughter and I got out at the first exit because she's scared of everything and was scared of the water and crying, but my son and husband kept going. We got out and walked along the little walkway they have along the falls. Then you can get in or out right before you walk up the last part. The walkway ends, but I'm pretty there is a way that leads to the top. We just waited near the lockers knowing that they would have to come back there, and that's where we met up with them. Then we all went out past the vendors.

We did two independent tours from MoBay--one to Mayfield Falls, and then to Rockland Bird Sanctuary. The Falls were very pretty and not too difficult to climb. The guides were great in helping my dad and young daughter. The bird sanctuary was cool--the hummingbirds would come right up to you and feed from a bottle you held!

You are offered drugs because there is an assumption that people going to Jamaica want them. If it is not your thing, you just say "No, thank you." If a vendor persists, tell him you are diabetic and can't partake. They know that it wreaks havoc with blood sugar levels and that usually works when nothing else does.

No one is forcing you to buy the stuff. Just say "No thanks" and be done with it. In Jamaica, ignoring someone who's talking to you is regarded as disrespect. Acknowledge the offer, say "No, thanks" and that will suffice.

All that said, as someone who has visited Jamaica 19 times and stayed there, I can tell you that when you stay at a hotel, you're always told to avoid town on cruise ship days because it's crowded and less-desirable elements tend to crowd MoBay and Ochi on those days. My suggestion for those whose interest is piqued by Jamaica after a cruise ship visit? Go and stay there. Start with an all-inclusive but venture out. You may decide you want to immerse yourself in the rich culture and beauty of Jamaica after all.

Not a big fan of Jamaica. A couple of times if Montego Bay was on the schedule I just stayed on the ship. I did enjoy Ocho Rios lat year. I have read on CC that quite a few people are not fans of Nassau-I love Nassau. Too each his own. If I ever get where I feel completely unsafe at a particular port, I will choose to either book a different cruise or stay on the ship.

Can't say whether I think Carnival should or should not remove Jamaica from its list of stops. Of course, if crime where to get completely out of hand against tourist, then yes they probably should consider not stopping there.

ETA-we did actually spend 10 days there on our honeymoon-so I do have fond memories of Montego Bay-that was a few years ago and even then we were told not to venture to far away from our resort alone.

Archived