Dress code

OTTER

I wouldn't exactly say that there is a "Dress Code" but rather a "Standard" of dress. For instance, Women in Bermuda most often wear dresses or skirts. They do not wear "revealing" clothes such as mini-skirts, lowcut tops or spagetti strap tops. The dress is very conservative and respectful. Tight shorts or short shorts are not worn either. The style of dress is that of a "50's Era America". I find it very refreshing, actually!

The dress reflects a genteel society that encourages traditional values. I particularly enjoy riding the ferry and seeing the Ladies going shopping, all dressed in lovely dresses and heels, faces conservatively but beautifully made up, and shoes and handbags matching! Watching the gentleman going off to work with their "Short" suits and ties, briefcase in hand. The children, however, are my favorite. So delightful to see them in their school uniforms, singing songs together as they ride the bus or ferry to school!

So, I hope this is helpful in deciding what to pack. Leave all your tight and/or revealing garments home, and pack comfortable, conservative apparel.

Most of all, ENJOY YOUR VISIT TO PARADISE!

Bathing suits etc. are fine at the beach but when away from the beach you should cover up a bit more. Men usually wear a shirt even when jogging and tennis courts require it (ie no playing bare-chested). Clothing like a T-shirt and shorts is okay for walking around the island but many restaurants will require 'smart casual'.

I think the conservativeness of the island has waned a little over the years but mini-skirts . . . etc is probably not the best way to go.

During my first trip to Bermuda 30 years ago, long dresses were the required dress for dinner! It has changed (thank goodness) but I have been back 5 times and enjoy seeing a little upscale dress code still being encouraged. :)

while there is not an actualy dress code, there are certain rules/laws regarding swimwear. thongs are NOT permitted. swimwear is not permitted outside of beaches/pools. if you rent a motorbike to get around, you must wear a shirt and shoes. as a piece of advice, i would recommed not wearing flip flops on a motorbike as they do make it more difficult to handle the bike, and more likely to have an accident. even a little "road rash", as we call it, can dampen the visit!:)

i'm not certain where the idea that women wear only dresses or skirts comes from. while many restaurants do have dress codes, most of them are "smart casual". i, personally, rarely wear dresses or skirts.

years ago there was a law that was enforced (like in the 50s or 60s) regarding the length of a womans shorts or skirt. sadly, that is no longer enforced and many women wear VERY short shorts & skirts. knee length shorts & knee socks are considered dress wear for men. you will see many men wearing these to work or dinners.

i hope this has been helpful. depending on the date of your cruise, i would recommend bringing a light jacket or sweater for the evening, especially if you've had too much sun in the day! you can get some good information about bermuda from the bermuda chamber of commerce website at www.bermudacommerce.com.

if you are here between april 27-oct 12 there is a street festival on wednesday evenings from 7-10 featuring many local artists and local products (just a little plug!)

i hope this helps! have a great trip!

Archived