For those wanting to rent a CAR in Vancouver, READ FIRST

I just happened along this thread on Trip Advisor (sister website to Cruise Critic) and it describes some horrid business practices by Budget Rent-a-car in Vancouver that has been going on for years. The Better Business Bureau has more complaints about this company in Vancouver than any other.

Basically it describes (by many persons) the same stories over and over. It states that they rent a car, they return a car, and they are billed anywhere from $1000 to $1500 for a tiny scratch on the bumper or windshield. One local news channel reported that the actual cost for such alleged 'damage' should be $25-60!

Also, watch what you initial, one tiny area of the contract allegedly states the renter will pay 25% more than the actual contract.

Buyer Beware!

link: http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k3370342-Deceipt_at_Budget_Car_Rental_counter_at_Vancouver_Airport-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

I am not trying to defend Budget but I have had exactly the same experience with Avis and Alamo elsewhere. For that reason it is very important to walk around the rental car with an employee and note every scratch, ding, crack or rock chip, even if they say don't worry about it. Check the interior for any stains or cuts. I am also very careful to look at the spoiler that wraps under the front bumper as often there is damage that has been done by previous renters as they have run it up on a high curb stop. Another gotcha area is the top surface of rear bumpers where people have scratched or abraisded it lifting heavy suitcases into the trunk or using it as a foot rest while tying golf shoes...baseball cleats or what have you. When renting a car it is very much "caveat emptor"

I am not trying to defend Budget but I have had exactly the same experience with Avis and Alamo elsewhere. For that reason it is very important to walk around the rental car with an employee and note every scratch, ding, crack or rock chip, even if they say don't worry about it. Check the interior for any stains or cuts. I am also very careful to look at the spoiler that wraps under the front bumper as often there is damage that has been done by previous renters as they have run it up on a high curb stop. Another gotcha area is the top surface of rear bumpers where people have scratched or abraisded it lifting heavy suitcases into the trunk or using it as a foot rest while tying golf shoes...baseball cleats or what have you. When renting a car it is very much "caveat emptor"

I take pictures. Yes, I could technically doctor the pics, but when you have an employee watching you take pictures as you note damage, they know you are serious. I also note if there is a puke or smoke smell so I don't get blamed for it.

Viv

I've had it tried a number of times, in many places all over the US.

Take pictures. Take a picture of the VIN number. When they come back, tell them that you want an estimate from a third party, like Maaco that is an A+ rated establishment by the Better Business Bureau in that area and that you want the estimate to state the VIN number as well. Tell them that you are going to contact the establishment and ask them to send you a copy of the estimate, a photo of the VIN number and the damages.

I've never had them come back to me after that, ever. The fact that they have to get another business in on the scam and a business that is risking their reputation with the BBB... always makes them pull back and realize that it isn't worth the time, there are easier marks out there.

Does VISA just accept this sort of scam, when they are providing the insurance?

Graham.

Nope, they basically insist that the repair be seen by a third party for repairs. Which is why these scams only work on those that don't fight.

Archived