The Queen Mary revisited

KenC

For all the nostalgia buffs and Cunard historians out there, here's a link to some photos taken on the original Queen Mary in January this year. It was wonderful to wander around her again (last there in 1981!), but I'm afraid the old girl is looking very tired and needs a huge injection of money soon if she isn't going to become very seedy indeed. We enjoyed just being on THE Queen Mary, but for a lot of people I'm sure that won't be enough to overlook the average state of the finishes, slow plumbing and poor lighting. Some of the lifeboats are disintegrating where they hang (OK so they aren't needed - but still)! Must say that the 2 restaurants we visited onboard were first class however. All in all well worth a stay.

Unfortunately the Veranda Grill was not accessible and the Observation Cocktail Bar was closed when I took the photos! Other than that it was easy to get in most places for a look.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenphill/1

KenC,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I would love to go stay on the Queen Mary someday. Those pictures are prodding me more. The interior pictures are really great. I love seeing the interiors of older ships. Also, at least I got to see where Past Times is located (got my Cunard house flag from them).

Ed

Hi Ed

Glad you enjoyed the pics - don't leave it too long to go in case she's not there for ever !!! Past Times (if that's what it was called) was pretty amazing as were the prices !!!!

Regards

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos! We were onboard a couple of weeks ago, and I agree about the wear and tear, yet I was in such awe to be onboard, I didn't notice it until I got the photos back. Unfortunately, we were not able to see the first class dining hall as a convention was in session, so I suppose I'll have to go back...

Thanks again for sharing your photos.

Archived