Setting up a Scavenger Hunt

SteveM11

We have a group of 40+ adults going on the NCL Gem and are looking to set up a scavenger hunt lasting several hours. Has anyone ever put something like this together? Anyone know where I can find sample lists/riddles of things I can use. Were looking to make it challenging and funny at the same time. Thanks

We have a group of 40+ adults going on the NCL Gem and are looking to set up a scavenger hunt lasting several hours. Has anyone ever put something like this together? Anyone know where I can find sample lists/riddles of things I can use. Were looking to make it challenging and funny at the same time. Thanks

I've used several of Marnie's scavenger hunt plans, lots of good info in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Marnies-Scavenger-Hunt-Handbook-Relationship/dp/1413717519

ooooo that sounds like so much fun!!! Scavenger hunts are so stinkin easy to make and run. The only thing different you'd have to do on the cruise ship, is to limit your list to items that could reasonably be found there. For example, having a rake, a dandilion or a litre of motor oil might be rather difficult to find on a cruise ship lolol.

I did a scavenger hunt with an online group last summer. Since it was online, instead of asking for the actual objects, they had to send me photos of the objects. The catch (and to avoid them cheating and sending me a random pic they found online), the photo had to include a scrap of paper with their online screen name to verify they actually took the photo.

I had around 200 items on my scavenger hunt list. It was funny some of the photos i got. For "a ball and jacks", i was expecting the child's game. Instead, someone sent me a photo of a football sitting next to two car jacks. I also asked for a "tent". I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what kind of pics i got on that one lolol.

My best suggestion to you is to either google for some scavenger hunt lists, or make your own. Then when you have 2-300 items, go through them one by one and remove those that you don't realistically expect people to have any possibility of finding. Also, you might want to consider changing the scavenger hunt time limit from a few hours to a few days. This way, people don't have to block out a huge block of time at once for the game. If you had it over a couple days, they could still go about enjoying their cruise on their own schedule, but always be on the lookout for items from the list. Either way works, but it might get more people playing if they don't have to set aside several hours at one time.

There are also many cruise ship specific items that can be added to the list that you couldn't have if you were doing one at home. Things like:

-sand from _______ port

-signatures (or photos) of people from 5 different countries (staff not included)

-3 drink umbrellas

-folded towel animal

-photos of 3 different decorated doors (or their cabin # locations)

-a smiley face made out of food

-a photo of the ship's bridge

etc

If someone is really creative, they can find all sorts of things from other passengers. Considering the lists on CC of things people bring on their cruises, it's like a Let's Make A Deal cornucopia. You could ask for anything and someone on the ship will have it lolol.

I would love to have done a scavenger hunt on my upcoming cruise. I think it's awesome that your roll call is interested in doing one. For me, i'm going to be having daily puzzles/riddles/brain teasers on my cabin door with the answer to the previous one posted the next day with the new daily puzzle. Hopefully word will spread and ppl will stop by to pick up a copy. I do this several months of the year with an online group so it's in my blood to challenge folks :)

Good luck with your scavenger hunt!

Archived