Having your hair done for formal night

ldw81

I'm thinking of taking some stress off of myself and having my hair done for one of the formal nights.

Can anyone tell me what that costs?

if you've done this, were you happy with what you got? Any pictures?

I'm thinking of taking some stress off of myself and having my hair done for one of the formal nights.

Can anyone tell me what that costs?

if you've done this, were you happy with what you got? Any pictures?

My date last cruise had it done and it was fantastic. YES - book it the moment you get on board...

here is what she got:

Formal Night Special

Let us help you look your best for Captains Formal evening and cocktail party. Glamorous hair up - style, application of shimmering bronzing makeup and take home crystal hair accessory or the bronzing makeup.

$70

BUT

If that is too much,. they offer a 'Hair-up' for $45.

-Buzz

My date last cruise had it done and it was fantastic. YES - book it the moment you get on board...

here is what she got:

Formal Night Special

Let us help you look your best for Captains Formal evening and cocktail party. Glamorous hair up - style, application of shimmering bronzing makeup and take home crystal hair accessory or the bronzing makeup.

$70

-Buzz

Yup yup... what he said. :) These book up SUPER fast, so you may want to even think about booking this ahead of time. You can do this through your booking on the Carnival site.

Yes, I've done this, but I don't have any pics handy. Each time, I schedule my appointments after the spa tour (get a discount if you do that!), then tell them what I'm wearing & let them do their thing. :) I've been very pleased with what's been done with my hair, too. One time, the stylist pulled my hair back from my face, so from the front, it looked like I'd just pulled it back into a bun. But in the back (& I still have *no* idea how she did this) she created what I can best describe as a "waterfall" of curls. (with just over should-length hair too :eek: )

I just tell them that my hair is *very* fine & I'm not a fan of French braids, & then let them do what they want.

As for price, I'm thinking about $45 & that it's based on the length of your hair, so if your hair is longer than shoulder-length, you'll pay more (but not that much).

Yes, I've done this, but I don't have any pics handy. Each time, I schedule my appointments after the spa tour (get a discount if you do that!), then tell them what I'm wearing & let them do their thing. :) I've been very pleased with what's been done with my hair, too. One time, the stylist pulled my hair back from my face, so from the front, it looked like I'd just pulled it back into a bun. But in the back (& I still have *no* idea how she did this) she created what I can best describe as a "waterfall" of curls. (with just over should-length hair too :eek: )

I just tell them that my hair is *very* fine & I'm not a fan of French braids, & then let them do what they want.

As for price, I'm thinking about $45 & that it's based on the length of your hair, so if your hair is longer than shoulder-length, you'll pay more (but not that much).

I agree - my date's hair looked STUNNING! Worth every penny... and the make-up job they did was very glamorous!

Don't be surprised if you find Carnival ships no longer have a "Formal Night". They changed it to a simple "Elegant Night" and in the process lowered the standards of dress on that night to where it is now pretty much a "come as you are night" and that is what you will find on most of the Carrib. Carnival ships. But hey it's your vacation and if you want to pretend it still has a formal night and get all dressed to the nines then go for it. Just don't expect your tablemates to do the same. Sad be true, the ways of tradtional cruising is now a by-gone era with Carnival leading the way to destroying it.

Don't be surprised if you find Carnival ships no longer have a "Formal Night". They changed it to a simple "Elegant Night" and in the process lowered the standards of dress on that night to where it is now pretty much a "come as you are night" and that is what you will find on most of the Carrib. Carnival ships. But hey it's your vacation and if you want to pretend it still has a formal night and get all dressed to the nines then go for it. Just don't expect your tablemates to do the same. Sad be true, the ways of tradtional cruising is now a by-gone era with Carnival leading the way to destroying it.

I know that they changed the name and the minimum dress code, but I find that at least 80% of the people still go out of their way to dress up for this dinner on any given cruise...

I will always bring my tux and get decked out...

If you experienced 80% dress up for elegant night then you have not cruised with a ship with 80% NASCAR/Football/Basketball/Golf fans. It changes week to week on the type people you cruise with. You can't pick the other 2000 +/- people going your week.

You must have had a boat load of Wall Street Tycoons and bankers the week you went.

I remember one cruise that had an AMYWAY convention on it for their top national 1000 salespersons. All hours of the day and night they were knocking on cabin doors to sell you something. And all of the men wore polo shirts and jeans on elegant night.

Another cruise had 600 Grand Ole Opry fans for the Opry cruise with Opry stars. Trust me those people never heard of the word formal or elegant. It was jeans and cowboy hats with boots for elegant night and every other night.

If you experienced 80% dress up for elegant night then you have not cruised with a ship with 80% NASCAR/Football/Basketball/Golf fans. It changes week to week on the type people you cruise with. You can't pick the other 2000 +/- people going your week.

You must have had a boat load of Wall Street Tycoons and bankers the week you went.

I remember one cruise that had an AMYWAY convention on it for their top national 1000 salespersons. All hours of the day and night they were knocking on cabin doors to sell you something. And all of the men wore polo shirts and jeans on elegant night.

Another cruise had 600 Grand Ole Opry fans for the Opry cruise with Opry stars. Trust me those people never heard of the word formal or elegant. It was jeans and cowboy hats with boots for elegant night and every other night.

Well on one of them it was Arkansas Razorback week and most of them wore at least ties and suits... so your generalization did not apply... I am sorry you have experienced degradation, but I have not.

On a previous post someone said they booked and updo - the cost was $45 but when it was done they were told it was $85 because their hair was long and fine - she stuck to her guns and paid the orginal price of $45. So make sure if you get it done they tell you up front how much and stick to it.

I'm hoping to have my hair done for this too. I'd really like to feel pampered for a bit! I found on my last cruise that some people did not dress up, but most did. It was nice to do and made the night feel special. I can't wait till our cruise in April!

I'm hoping to have my hair done for this too. I'd really like to feel pampered for a bit! I found on my last cruise that some people did not dress up, but most did. It was nice to do and made the night feel special. I can't wait till our cruise in April!

Why not - you deserve it and you are on vacation! Go for it!

Archived