Anyone back from the kirkland wine cruise yet?

fisherlvnv

The earliest kirkland wine cruise date I've been able to find a reference to is the Aug 22 aboard the Solstice. Hopefully there are a few CCers in the kirkland group so we can get some info. I'm cruising in September, so I'll be sure to post my feedback about the kirkland features in particular when I return.

Do you know if the wine tastings are part of the extra's Celebrity may offer or are they just for our special cruises? Have you printed your docs yet? I can't seem to find out from Costco or Celebrity. We are also supposed to have wine and chocolate covered strawberries in our rooms...yum. I hope it is not sparkling wine. Will you fill me in when you get back?

Do you know if the wine tastings are part of the extra's Celebrity may offer or are they just for our special cruises? Have you printed your docs yet? I can't seem to find out from Costco or Celebrity. We are also supposed to have wine and chocolate covered strawberries in our rooms...yum. I hope it is not sparkling wine. Will you fill me in when you get back?

It's my understanding that some of the events are private and others are public. I imagine the private events are the tours and the luncheon.

I was able to print my docs weeks ago. So far, everything's going smoothly in terms of getting docs and tags in order.

I'm looking forward to the chocolate covered strawberries, too. So simple yet so yum...mmmm.

I like sparkling wine, but since X gives this to everyone, I'm hoping kirkland will provide something different and a bit more special.

I've been trying to add up the $300+ in perks kirkland promised. I have to say - I haven't been able to figure out where all those perks are...

I can't wait to hear from anyone who was on the first one - but I'll be sure to fill you in when I return from my trip.

In Concierge and Aqua, everyone gets sparkling wine and fruit, on the itinerary that I was emailed from Costco, we get wine and chocolate covered strawberries. So it appears to be different. I think that is a 50.00 upgrade. Did you get OBC credit? That brings the value total to around 200. The other events have to have value of more than 100.00? Hopefully they will have a few surprises for us.

Hi Wineluvr,

Sorry about the previous post, I hit the wrong key. The cruise you are on was my first choice, and it should be wonderful. Due to our schedule, we couldn't go this month. It will be on our list for next year. I hope you have a great time and we would appreciate any feedback you have. I called Costco this morning and told them that we would appreciate any information on the events so that we can schedule some excursions. She said they would call me back within 48 hours with some information. It I get it soon enough, I will post it so it might be helpful for you too.

In Concierge and Aqua, everyone gets sparkling wine and fruit, on the itinerary that I was emailed from Costco, we get wine and chocolate covered strawberries. So it appears to be different. I think that is a 50.00 upgrade. Did you get OBC credit? That brings the value total to around 200. The other events have to have value of more than 100.00? Hopefully they will have a few surprises for us.

As I recall, the kirkland info indicated perks valued at over $300 per person (I think it was actually 340, but I'm not sure). I'm traveling with my best friend. We are both costco members and we paid for our passage seperately. We are splitting the OBC (which was approx $150). So, the breakdown in value per person as I see it is...

OBC - 75

Wine - 50

Strawberries - 25

Pairing luncheon - 50 (perhaps this should be more?)

Wine appreciation 101 - 10

Art of food pairing - 15

Tour of kitchen - complimentary (for all I think)

Tour of wine cellar - 10(?)

This gets me to $235.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the wine program whether or not I see it reach $300+ in value. I was just trying to figure out how they arrived at their figure.

I agree, we are going to enjoy it. I thought the 300+ extra value was per cabin, but you are right it is pp. They are supposed to call me back on when the events are scheduled. I will see what they say as far as value. I am still excited and hope the next 69 days fly by. The agent on the phone says they do get very positive feedback, although no one is back yet this year. In the past they used Princess.

We leave Tuesday for the Equinox 9/2 Costco Wine Cruise from Barcelona to Rome and are very excited. I'll let you know all the details when we return.

A cruise from Barcelona to Rome sounds magical - I know you'll have a fantastic time. I look forward to reading all about the details when you return. By that time, I'll be in a single digit countdown for my cruise....woohoo.

I agree, we are going to enjoy it. I thought the 300+ extra value was per cabin, but you are right it is pp. They are supposed to call me back on when the events are scheduled. I will see what they say as far as value. I am still excited and hope the next 69 days fly by. The agent on the phone says they do get very positive feedback, although no one is back yet this year. In the past they used Princess.

Oh - for some reason I thought this was the first time kirkland launched this program. Hmmm.... I may wonder over to the Princess boards and look for information there. Do let us know what Costco says when they call you back. When I booked my cruise, they only said it was a great value and listed events noted on the website.

We are on Kirkland Wine Cruise – Solstice Western Caribbean Oct. 24. Thus, we will be recipients of the feedback from other CC members. Thanks in advance

Never thought to call Costco concerning timing of amenities. Thanks, fisherlvnv, for pursuing that.

Note that the timings are similar, but not the same, for Solstice Eastern Caribbean vs. Solstice Western Caribbean. Thus, the schedule of Wine Cruise events will probably differ slightly. Both cruises start with a sea day. The Eastern then has 3 port days followed by 2 sea days. The Western has 4 port days and finishes with just one sea day.

For what it’s worth, I found the original page from the April, 2010 Costco newsletter and it states the “value” is $325 pp with an OBC of $59 pp.

Diane had most items listed (see post above), but two other amenities were “Private Walk Around the World Wine Tasting Seminar” (could be priceless since there are 192 member countries in the UN!!)” and a “Private Sommelier Tour of the 2-story Grand Wine Tower” (maybe that concludes with a contest – whoever climbs the tower fastest gets a bottle of wine!). :D

Looking forward to future feedback. Thanks to those that started this thread!

I think you forgot the "Walk Around the World" wine tasting (which we've done before and is our favorite) regualrly $20pp. I am also anticipating that the wine pairing luncheon will be more than $50 value (since dining in the specialty restaurant without wine is $35). We'll let you know in just a few days! Regardless, we feel like we got a steal since all that Costco included was the SAME price Celebrity and other travel agents offered without any wine events included!

Costco did tell me that all events would be scheduled on SEA DAYS, or in the afternoon after the ship leaves AJACCIO, CORSICA. They assured us that there would be no events scheduled while the ship was in port and that they did their best to ensure the Costco events don't interfere with the other shipboard events (Star Chef Competition, Liquid Chef Demonstration, and Rosetta Stone).

My understanding is that the sparkling wine is provided by Celebrity and the chocolate berries and wine is provided by kirkland. I believe you get both. My e-docs don't specify the obc or the activities kirkland provides. Does your doc specify any of the tours or the pairing ect....?

I spoke with Costco today, and they said the Kirkland activities will be during time at sea. She also said we would find out each morning what, when and where an event would be scheduled. She did know if it would be part of the daily Celebrity newsletter or not. She did say that it may differ between cruises depending on how many were attending and what other events Celebrity may have scheduled, pending needed space.

Fisherlvnv, thanks for making the effort to contact Costco. It is re-assuring to know that all the Kirkland Wine activities will be on our two sea days (for Western Carib). Makes me more confortable in planning the port days. :)

I spoke with Costco today, and they said the Kirkland activities will be during time at sea. She also said we would find out each morning what, when and where an event would be scheduled. She did know if it would be part of the daily Celebrity newsletter or not. She did say that it may differ between cruises depending on how many were attending and what other events Celebrity may have scheduled, pending needed space.

Interesting. Thanks for the information fisherlvnv. I'm pleased that everything happens on sea days, but I wonder why we were required to do late dining. I assumed this was because some activities were planned early in the evening on port days - but I guess not.

This could be tricky for me because I've reserved a spot in the riedel glass workshop, and we have activities planned with our CC roll call group. And of course - there's the Celebrity's CC Connections gathering.

Ah well - there's no way I'll be bored :D. It's nice to have so many options.

Hi Diane and Conn Man,

Just to be more specific, she said at sea, not sea days. She said nothing will be scheduled for the time we are in port.

Diane, she did say they try not to conflict with any other events on the ship. I imagine they would schedule around the Riedel glass workshop. She did say they (Costco) were getting calls about the schedule.

Archived