Experienced cruiser... but first time with my young child.

Pandot

I am a very experienced cruiser, and I have travelled with my 10 year old (now 15 year old) stepson. However, we now have a new little boy and will be travelling to Bermuda by cruise, for my sister's wedding.

No choice on cruise or line - will be Celebrity to Bermuda in Sept...

Looking for little known tips about travelling with my 20 month old (is currently 8 months).

I have read a lot in this forum but feel that I am missing some key points.

I do know about diaper rules, bringing blow-up bath and a lightweight stroller along with my ergo carrier...

What else can you tell me?

We are travelling with family. Everyone will be eating late seating dinner. Will be too late for my LO. But between family members and in cabin babysitter, I am hoping to make at least half the dinners. What do you think?

Sounds as though you have a fairly solid plan. Depending on the size of your child, the Ergo carrier might be out - we have a 21 month old, and that hasn't been much use for quite awhile, but then again, she is quite tall for her age. Also, don't count on the in-room babysitting. I've had first-hand experience with this on Celebrity. Given that you have so much family there, hopefully it won't be an issue. Obviously each child is different, but I'd probably plan on feeding the child at the buffet in the evenings, rather than MDR. If you can get a sitter and can go to late seating, that's great, but even with early seating it is tough for a child of this age to sit through a dinner, particularly the long ones you have on cruise ships that regularly run 2 hours. You have a whole year, and a lot happens during that time period. You'll do fine, try not to overthink things!

Late seating can be tough. Definitely feed your LO at the buffet prior or you can even order something to the room. It may be too early to tell, but some babies can fall asleep in the stroller. If that is the case, you may be able to bring him to the late seating with you. It took a lot of effort to get my DD to fall asleep in her stroller but for some kids, it's easy. I saw many sleeping during meals/shows, etc.

Also if family is willing to help, you can go to an early show while they watch him and they can go to a later show or vice versa. We had my parents on our cruise and we did that frequently. I also recommend adjoining cabins if you can swing it. It allowed for our DD to sleep in one room, while we hung out in the other room.

Good luck!

Archived