Cigarette prices in Halifax/St. John

Just wondering if anyone knows the approximate prices for cigarettes (pack or carton) in Halifax or St. John?

I need to buy cigarettes for a friend, but the ship's duty-free brand selection is not that great.

Considering cigarettes are about $10/pack here, anywhere else will probably be a bargain.

Thanks for any info. :)

Just wondering if anyone knows the approximate prices for cigarettes (pack or carton) in Halifax or St. John?

I need to buy cigarettes for a friend, but the ship's duty-free brand selection is not that great.

Considering cigarettes are about $10/pack here, anywhere else will probably be a bargain.

Thanks for any info. :)

58.80 a carton.

58.80 a carton.
I'm guess that's duty free or before taxes. I quit 5 years ago and even then I was paying $80 a carton with taxes. Hubby smokes and depending on where he purchases them and the brand I think a pack of 25 can cost anywhere from 10.25 - 11.00.

I just checked that out. Cigarettes in Halifax were $9.50 a pack. Cartons on the ship were $24.50, but you couldn't get them till the end of the cruise. They told me I could only legally take one duty free carton off the ship, but I stocked up anyway and packed them in my suitcase.;)

I just checked that out. Cigarettes in Halifax were $9.50 a pack. Cartons on the ship were $24.50, but you couldn't get them till the end of the cruise. They told me I could only legally take one duty free carton off the ship, but I stocked up anyway and packed them in my suitcase.;)

Do you know what they were in Newport, Boston and Bar Harbor?

who told you that. Its only liquor that they hold.

who told you that. Its only liquor that they hold.

The person who worked in the duty free store told me I had to hold them there. I even told her that on my last cruise on the Emerald I was allowed to take them. She insisted I couldn't take them. They were delivered to my room the day before the cruise ended.

I didn't check the prices in the other ports. Packs were for sale at the bars on ship for $4.

I've been away from Boston for about 6 months now, but, as I recall, they were between $8 and $9 a pack.

Maybe it depends on the cruise line or where you're cruising, but, I've always been able to buy cartons of cigarettes on board the ship the first day the shop opens, and take them back to the cabin (HAL and Crystal) (Europe, New England/Canada, Mexican Riviera, Transatlantic).

Thanks everyone!

Seems like cigarettes aren't as cheap as I'd hoped. Problem is, my friend smokes non-filters, and the ship usually has only Camels, which are not his fave (but are doable). Oh well...I'll take a look around St. John and Halifax, and if the prices are high, he's getting Camels from the ship. *lol*

Thanks everyone!

Seems like cigarettes aren't as cheap as I'd hoped. Problem is, my friend smokes non-filters, and the ship usually has only Camels, which are not his fave (but are doable). Oh well...I'll take a look around St. John and Halifax, and if the prices are high, he's getting Camels from the ship. *lol*

Keep in mind, if you're looking at buying Canadian Cigarettes, they taste very different from American cigarettes. I found American cigarettes to have a stronger taste. I don't know how available American cigarettes are in stores here.

Do you know what they were in Newport, Boston and Bar Harbor?

Cigs in Rhode Island are 8.30-8.75 a pack depending on what brand (mine Marlboro) Keep in mind Newport is the "Ritzy" area so they could be even more, esp near the Avenue of Americas and anywhere near the visitors center.

Archived