Which 2 ports on Western Caribbean to dive

kurdav

We will be on the NCL spirit in November. DH is wanting to dive at two of our ports. Which two would be his best choice. He is a 20 year experienced diver--cave, shipwreck, etc.

Choices-Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, or Roatan

Choices and reasons why would be appreciated.

I love diving Cozumel and Roatan. Cozumel is just amazing. The currents around the island make the water CRYSTAL CLEAR. It is just a great place to dive.

Roatan was just as amazing. The water was really warm, and there were alot of turtles and Groupers. Groupers were all over the place. Turtles were not as frequent but again they seem to sudden appear. It was fabulous.

Good info! Cozumel and Roatan will be two of our Dec cruise stops.

DH and DD#2 just took their PADI final exams tonight! Next: certification dives!

Any particular dive spots or dive outfits to recommend?

Also, should they bring their own masks/snorkels/boots/fins?

Thanks in advance,

Sara

DH is wanting to dive at two of our ports. Which two would be his best choice. Choices-Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, or Roatan

Choices and reasons why would be appreciated.

My ports were Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

I figured Cozumel would have the worst diving.....but was more than surprised by the extreme colors (looked like neon spray paint), the many swim through caves were awesome, the visibility was 80-100ft and tons of marine life. BY far my favorite port!!!

I skipped Belize to do the Cave Tubing (very cool -- if you have never been)....and my fellow divers said it didn't even compare to Cozumel. I heard bad visibility and not much to see.....but again I wasn't there.

Roatan has sweeping, rolling hills all over the island, and below the surface looks the same. Picture a bunch of mountainous peaks under the water that look like noble fir christmas trees. So many cracks and crevices to find things. Visibility was 60-75 ft. Lots and Lots of Sea turtles. Eels, sea horses, and a million fish. A close second to Cozumel.

Grand Cayman - Since you are not going I won't comment on it. But was a close third.

Hope this helps you decide!

If your DH is a cave diver - then he should check out a cavern/ cave dive in Costa Maya. We have dove twice, from Cozumel, actually - just have to get to the mainland - cavern dives while on a cruise. You just have to search a dive shop in Costa Maya and find one that offers cavern/cave diving. A different and distinct experience than the reef diving.

Have not dove Roatan.

Belize was awesome during our dive there. You do have to take a boat ride out. Large seaturtles, marine life very active and just fun going through the small islands on the boat.

Never dove Cozumel.

I love diving Cozumel and Roatan. Cozumel is just amazing. The currents around the island make the water CRYSTAL CLEAR. It is just a great place to dive.

Roatan was just as amazing. The water was really warm, and there were alot of turtles and Groupers. Groupers were all over the place. Turtles were not as frequent but again they seem to sudden appear. It was fabulous.

I have to second those choices. Roatan has to be the best we have done yet.

I totally agree, Roatan is world famous for diving. Cozumel is also amazing and a "must dive" destination.

Belize is an awesome place to dive but the really good dive sites, like the Blue Hole are a ways from the ship. The Ship will have to tender in Belize and it is a long tender ride in and back which cuts into the time in Port.

Costa Maya is between Belize City and Cozumel and the diving is fine, but if you had to choose between Costa Maya and Cozumel that is easy, Cozumel is much better, reefs, wrecks, drift diving etc.

Good info! Cozumel and Roatan will be two of our Dec cruise stops.

DH and DD#2 just took their PADI final exams tonight! Next: certification dives!

Any particular dive spots or dive outfits to recommend?

Also, should they bring their own masks/snorkels/boots/fins?

Thanks in advance,

Sara

I would recommend Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. I have been out with them a couple times and they are really good. Small groups and, short taxi ride from the terminal and the best prices I have found. I can't talk highly enough of them.

Archived