Which Would you Choose in PV?

mamakate

I'm on the fence of what to do while in Puerto Vallarta. I'm trying to decided between Las Caletas or a day pass at Dreams Resort.

It will be just me and my 2 daughters (2 and 14) and we are looking for a beach day. I was leaning a little toward Las Caletas because they have animal interactions there and my little one loves animals.

However, Dreams is less expensive and it does say they have activities, but I haven't been able to get details on what those activities are??

So which excursion would you choose and why. Any reviews or details would be greatly appreciated :D.

Thanks for the help,

Katie

We stay in a resort while in Vallarta and have been to Las Caletas seven or eight times over the years.

I suspect you and your 14 year old would enjoy Las Caletas but I think your youngster (and by extension - you) will have a much better day at Dreams. Las Caletas is resort "rustic" (no pool and surf can be rough) where as Dreams is a full service resort with a pool, beach and everything you would want to have a great family day.

I suspect you and your 14 year old would enjoy Las Caletas but I think your youngster (and by extension - you) will have a much better day at Dreams. Las Caletas is resort "rustic" (no pool and surf can be rough) where as Dreams is a full service resort with a pool, beach and everything you would want to have a great family day.

Ditto, well said MSN!

Dreams south is our call also for the same reasoning.

In Addition, Dreams South is just as Beautiful a location, less far, jungle rises above the resorts beautiful cove creating a tropical paradise!

Dreams South Below

DreamsSouthPV2.jpg

Las Caletas below

LasCalates.jpg

We took our kids to Las Caletas a few years back and they wouldn't let them hold the monkeys, they told us that the monkeys don't like kids, and I wondered why they had them then. The kids were 12 & 10 at the time. I say go to Dreams, I wasn't all that impressed with Las Caletas. I found it very crowded. Judging by the picture above it looks like they added some buildings since we went but you'll also have to consider that most of your time is getting there and back. If you went to Dreams, you'd have a good 6 hours at the resort.

Thank you so much everyone.

I was thinking that Dreams might me a little more relaxing since it's a heck of a lot closer. And since the animals aren't really for kids at Las Caletas that makes a big difference. Plus, I'll be saving some money by doing Dreams :D!

Also, are there 2 different Dreams resorts in Puerto Vallarta? If so, which would be a better choice.

Thank you so much everyone.

I was thinking that Dreams might me a little more relaxing since it's a heck of a lot closer. And since the animals aren't really for kids at Las Caletas that makes a big difference. Plus, I'll be saving some money by doing Dreams :D!

Also, are there 2 different Dreams resorts in Puerto Vallarta? If so, which would be a better choice.

I have stayed at both Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta. I think both Dreams are about the same distence from the cruise ships. Dreams PV is in a very lovely area (as BnS's ariel pictures show) the pools are smaller and fewer then the Dreams Villamagna which is located in Nuevo.

The beach at Dreams PV is located in it's own private cove and is lovely....water is clearer then Nuevo and I prefer this beach over that of Nuevo. Nuevo beach you can walk for a long time and see the other massive resorts that make up Nuevo.

Pools at Dreams Villa Magna are bigger, newer and nicer then Dreams PV. Magna doesn't have that lush jungle surroundings that Dreams PV has :( It is after all a very new resort located in a area that was built for the tourists and doesn't have much of the Mexican feel that Dreams PV has.

Food and service at both Dreams was steller and I would return to either in heartbeat BUT Dreams PV I prefer...if I had children I might be tempted to go to VillaMagna for the bigger/better pools plus one day a week they bring Maria the seal in from the Dolphin place. Both Dreams had an amazing kids club that your children could use.

Both are about $50 USD for a day pass and I believe you just have to catch a cab straight to the resort.

Deams Villa Magna Nueva Vallarta. Nice Resort.

Nueva Vallarta area ambiance is a long flat strip of sand with many mega resorts, similar to Cancun.

Dreams south has a different beautiful jungle/mountain/cove ambiance.

Deams Villa Magna Nueva Vallarta

DreamsNuevoVallarta.jpg

Also you might want to think about if they've fixed the bridge in Puerto Vallarta that goes to the Nuevo area. There is one bridge for each side of traffice and one washed out. They are using the other one now for both directions of traffic so I'm not sure how much time you'd be spending in a taxi if there's traffic because of it. I have stayed at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos in the Nuevo Vallarta area and at Mismaloya (south of Dreams PV) and there is no contest as far as the beach water goes, you'll be much happier with Dreams. The water is crystal clear in that part of town and it's murky in the Nuevo Vallarta area.

Bobnsofi, are you sure that's a picture of Las Caletas? It looks maybe more like Mahajuitas or Yelapa....I don't remember the cove being that large at Caletas.

Bob - Wow, what a gorgeous picture of Dreams South in PV. That must be a very new picture. I googled the resort and came up with just one building in the picture. When was the picture you posted taken? If that is truly the Dreams Resort, it looks like that's for us!

Archived