Caribbean Options - Cruise Lines

VABeach

OK, I've been playing around on the internet at some on-line TA's trying to get some other ideas for cruising the Caribbean next summer. I'd like to try something I haven't tried yet. Since most of them only go out about 14 months ahead, I had to kind of look at what was available for this summer to try and give me a general idea of what would be out there next year. (I know it can change from year to year, just trying to get an idea.)

We pretty much have to go in either May or June because of my DH's job, and I prefer the Caribbean. When I do the searches, 80% of the results are either RCCL or CCL. I was kind of looking to see what other MAJOR cruise lines were cruising the Carib. in May/June and there isn't much else out there to choose from. Is this some kind of new trend in the industry??? Princess, Norwiegen, and Celeb and HAL not really interested in the Carib. anymore??? There is a ship or two to choose from, but not much.

Is it because they cater to an "older" crowd than RCCL and CCL do and those PAX just don't want to go somewhere warm in June??? Is it something else? It seems like those lines have a lot going to Bermuda, Alaska, Pacific, and Europe. What's going on???:confused:

Sheffie is right Jenny... It's VERY hot and VERY humid in the Caribbean in the summer, plus you have hurricanes to dodge and the lines simply send most of their ships to Europe, Alaska, etc. in the summer - Places that are too cold to go to in the winter and very popular destinations in the summer.

HAL & Princess do have one ship each that sail year round from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) to the Caribbean in the summer, but other than those I don't recall any other of the majors other than some RCI and CCL ships.

The big reason is that the ships are in Alaska and Europe because they can only do those routes for a certain window each year that happens to be the summer.

There is always 3 voyager class in the Caribbean

Rhapsody stays

Carnival has almost 50percent of their fleet in the caribbean in the summer

Princess only has the Caribbean Princess that stays,but in 06(I think) the next ship comes out that will also stay.

NCL only has one ship that stays also.

Not sure about holland america

Sorry I don't have better news for you! If you want to avoid heat/hurricanes, book may/june!

Wow, I thought the Caribbean was such a popular destination. Carnival seems to do OK there - even in the summer. We do pretty much have to go in May/June most years with my husband's work schedual. What a bummer that is. I was thinking I would like to try Princess. I guess it's the short list.:p

If you don't want to do RCI try the Caribbean Princess or HAL's Zuiderdam... I think those are about your only other options... At least for newer "nicer" ships.

Those are pretty much the two ships that I found. I guess after looking over all the choices CCL and RCCL had, I was expecting more. So I take it that this is "normal" and not some big industry change. Whew!:p

I personally LOVE the heat and would gladly go to Hell, (Grand Cayman) in August.:D

Yes, Jenny... This is "normal", nothing unusual. Most of the ships that are in the Caribbean in the winter are in Alaska and Europe in the summer as that's the only time they can sail there due to weather. No one wants to do those itineraries when it's cold, and not as many people want to do the Caribbean when it's so unbearably hot.

Archived