Best Snorkeling Cozumel or G. Cayman?

Charisse4

Can anyone tell me where the best off the beach snorkeling can be found in Cozumel? How about in Grand Cayman?

Just want to walk in the water from the beach. Not too far in. Don't mind goin in 6 to 8 foot of water but not too much deeper.

For example: Saphire Beach in St. Thomas

Charisse

The best walk in places I've done at these stops are Eden Rock on GC (when you exit the tender terminal go right - it's about a 5 minute walk) and Dzul Ha on Coz (take a cab - they'll know where it is), depending on which pier your ship uses it's about a $5-$10 cab ride.

There is now a dive shop and restaurant/bar at Eden Rock and the locals at Dzul Ha will also serve some fine food and drink.

Have fun!

I agree, Chakanaab is great. I was there March 2004. The snorkling was great. Lots and lots of fish. Great beach. I am going back again in May 05. I did not get to spend as much time there as I wanted last time. Spent too much time shopping. Won't make that mistake again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with augie when it comes to Dzul Ha in Cozumel. I was there in 2004 with my fiance. The next time we goto Cozumel we will go back to Dzul Ha. We saw sting ray, gar, and many other fish. At one point we were literally surrounded in a school of fish. Another huge thing was that we were the only two snorkeling the shore line. The cruise lines and local business take people who pay a lot more money then a taxi ride to the exact same place, but just out a little further. I also referred this place to my parents and a bunch of their friends, and they too agreed that it is worth the stop. My dad, a frequent diver and snorkeler, said it was one of the better of beach sites he's seen.

As augie said just tell the taxi driver Dzul Ha, he/she will know where to go. Depending on port it is 5-10 minute drive. There is a little shack there that serves food and drinks. Walk right in! One more recommendation is to get up early and go right away; beat the crowds and boats that come in hours later.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like great locations.

Can anyone tell me which of these recommended spots would also have a place to rent snorkel gear?

Grand Cayman...Eden Rock; there's a dive shop right where you enter the water, can't miss it. They also have lockers available for rent. Look for the building with the dive flag when you are tendering in.

Cozumel...Chankanaab has snorkel equipment rentals; have not been to Dzul Ha, but have heard there is a rental "shack" there too.

Has anyone heard of Nachicocum beach in Cozumel? It was recommended to me.

Is 7 mile beach in Grand cayman private or public? Is there good snorkeling there? Is the turtle farm nearby?

Thanks.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard of Nachicocum beach in Cozumel? It was recommended to me.

Is 7 mile beach in Grand cayman private or public? Is there good snorkeling there? Is the turtle farm nearby?

Thanks.:confused:

7 mile beach is public. We went there last year and had a fantastic time snorkeling. If you want to snorkel 7 mile beach, try Cemetary Reef. It's literally a beach behind a small cemetary, but it's fantastic. It might be a 5 or 10 minute cab ride west, from where the ships dock. Great big beach - not crowded - fairly shallow water that seems to go on forever. Before we knew it, we must have gone 1/4 mile out. The same depth the whole way.

Or, just about a 3 minute drive past Eden Rock, is Smith's Cove (east of the dock). A very small, tucked away parking 'lot' in front of a cove - fantastic snorkeling. TONS of fish. I'm sure any cabbie will now both places. Well worth the extra cab ride.

Archived