Sea sickness..Ginger?

SailBabySail

I tried that seabands ginger gum. It may have worked, but since it burned my tongue to chew it, I had to spit it out before I could find out. I dont know why it did that either. I actually love spicy food, but something about this gum I could not tolerate.

My advice is to try whatever product before you go, just to make sure you can live with it if you need it.

I use to buy a ginger flavored Altoid (the mints in a little rectangular tin). I bet they would be great for motion illness. I guess if I can't find those, I will bring candied ginger. I'll probably forget to take a pill, but I won't forget something that is sweet... LOL!

I am not prone to sea sickness but late Sept going to Canada the sea might be rough. Anticipating that for the first time ever I might get sea sick I see that many of you take a Ginger product. My question is this..Is it a liquid or a tablet? The only thing I was able to find was a box with four small cans called Natural Ginger. I did purchase this product in case I could not get anything else. But, I am wondering if there are tablets which are easier to take on board? I don't want to take Bonine or Dramamine. Thanks for any suggestions.

We take ginger root. A tablet you can buy in the vitamin section at Walmart. also we take Bonine (which is the same thing of the generic Meclizine which they give out on board, and have recently started charging for it). We take a ginger root pill and bonine pill every 12 hours and have not had any problems. We begin taking them the day before we leave.

there are 100 capsules in the bottle for 4.00

we take one with breakfast and one with dinner and so far so good.have used it for the last 4 cruise's.

Well I returned that liquid stuff (at $7.99) to CVS and headed over to WalMart and bought the Ginger Root, 100 caps for $4.00. Thanks to everyone for your advice. Like I said I am not prone to sea sickness but, better to be prepared as you never know, right? :D

i got them from walmart in tablet form for "just in case" as i've been on deep sea fishing, etc and never experienced seasickness, but for the just in case is why i wanted it. plus the fact it's all natural and wouldn't mix with any drinking i did. we also went to canada june 09 and it was a rainy june so made it a bit rockier plus the fact our cabin was as far front as you can get lol. start it the day before like anything else to get it in your system. then i took it morning noon and night. didn't have a problem as far as i was concerned, though one day i did feel a little off, food? ship? who knows but i hadnt taken it yet at that time so i did! lol. felt better. lol

I've related this in the past but I'll repeat it here.

I flew for the USAF for 20 years, much of it in Air Education and Training Command as a Flight Commander and then Chief of Standardization and Evaluation.

During that period I often encountered students who had motion sickness issues. They often took ginger capsules or ate ginger snap cookies prior to a mission to help tame their stomachs as taking any medication would ground them. It worked well.

If it works for a pilot pulling six Gs or hanging upside down in his or her harness I'm sure it'll work on a ship.

:)

Mach I need to thank you personnally. You posted something similar over 2 years ago and I figured if you said it work, it must, considering your experience. I was dating a crew member at the time who bought a sail boat. Yikes. I used to always get seasick. I started taking the ginger pills on my cruises and every time I went out sailing. I never got sick again!! I'm still with this man in a wonderful relationship! I'm sure if I was puking off the side of his boat it wouldn't have lasted ;)

Recently I watch that episode of Mythbusters where they prove how effective ginger is. Yep, I knew it already :D

I am not prone to sea sickness but late Sept going to Canada the sea might be rough. Anticipating that for the first time ever I might get sea sick I see that many of you take a Ginger product. My question is this..Is it a liquid or a tablet? The only thing I was able to find was a box with four small cans called Natural Ginger. I did purchase this product in case I could not get anything else. But, I am wondering if there are tablets which are easier to take on board? I don't want to take Bonine or Dramamine. Thanks for any suggestions.

i got mine at walmart in the vitamin section. They do work..only a few dollars.

Forgot to say the ones i found are capluses,

Archived