Independent sellers or ship for excursions?

booboo0530

:confused::confused: I am cruising to Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize City in March and have no idea what to do for shore excursions for any of these! Things that you've done or would reccommend would be great for any of the three ports! Also.. I've never booked through an independent seller before its always been through the ship but they arent really offering too many good excursions for any good prices so I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with independent sellers also! Thanks for any help!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=booboo0530&date=3-27-2011&text=So excited to sail again!&ship=Liberty of the Seas

What kind of excursions are you looking for? I've never been to Costa Maya, but I've been to Coz a few times. Belize, I've been once and I'm going again in Dec., so I've been doing alot of research on it. I use independent tours all the time, never had a problem. Just tell me what you're looking for and maybe I or someone else can help...

Mona

I have been on 40+ cruises and never book with the ship unless it is someplace where we are only going to be there for half the day and I don't know enough. Independent is almost always better and cheaper. Smalller groups too, so there is usually some flexibility. Remember, people come to these places and stay in hotels too. So there are many great tour guides other than those used by the ships.

OP - we need to know if you want to sit on the beach all day or go DO something. Kids or just adults? We need more info in order to make suggestions. In the meantime, read through the boards for each of the ports you listed. Just about anything we would suggest has probably been recently discussed, you may find some ideas (or even pictures!) that sound really interesting to you that way.

We almost always plan independent excursions UNLESS the desired destination is a great distance from the ship, in which case, sticking with a ships tour is safer in regards to time and transportation. You will find lots of recommendations here for independent tour operators. When you come across one that peaks your interest, search that same board for more info on that guide/company (search feature at the top of each board). That's what I do.

check out the Ports of Call Board for your ports and find some things that you think you would like to do and read up on them...do research--seems like tender ports are always the least amount of time for us so i always book with the ship just to be sure...you just have to find the ones that you feel good about and book them...lots of info on the boards and if you dont see it...ASK on that port board:)

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived