Hurricane Magnet's review of the Dream Aug. 28!

beachbum6264

2494020430059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2816829590059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

(Note to self....... if dh is drinking enough rum punch to cover the cost of the excursion - make sure to take all the bags/carry on stuff away from him before we board the ship..... although just watching him try to get everything on the belt for security was worth the price!!!!)

Back on board, we headed up to the Gathering for lunch. I tried out the Mongolian grill - YUMMY - I got clams and mussels, it was great. Went down to the cabin to shower.... no hot water. A water line had broken somewhere. At least the water on the ship is not freezing cold, I managed a quick shower, then a nap (I know, you are shocked!). CD Butch made about 14,357 announcements about the water situation over the next couple of days - at least we had some water (I heard that some folks had none) - it was an inconvenience, but didn’t really put a crimp in our fun. Enough rum punch or Margaritas and you won’t care if you have hot water or not! (at least it was better than one cruise, years ago - seas were rough and in the shower I would sway to the right - get hot water, sway to the left, cold water.... hot water..... cold water.....hot water...... cold water. Not a fun way to shower!!!)

After dinner we went to the Dancing in the Streets show..... absolutely the BEST show I’ve ever seen on a ship. Totally amazing effects, it’s a DO NOT MISS. I would love to see it again.... any time... soon?????

Tomorrow - Roatan (my favorite snorkeling place in the world)

Beachbum- I have a question. So far great review, keep it coming. Here's the question...You have traveled to these ports before and had an idea of what you wanted to do in them. Having made the last minute switch of ports...how did those that have not had as much or no experience at the Western ports go about choosing their excursions? Did Carnival offer and tips/advice? Where the lines for purchasing the last minute excursions long?

We are sailing 10-9-10 on the Dream. I have put some effort into our excursions, all our non-Carnival excursions. Starting to think i should do some research of the Western ports...or maybe just follow in your footsteps. Thanks for the review...bookmarked!

Greg

:D

Beachbum- I have a question. So far great review, keep it coming. Here's the question...You have traveled to these ports before and had an idea of what you wanted to do in them. Having made the last minute switch of ports...how did those that have not had as much or no experience at the Western ports go about choosing their excursions? Did Carnival offer and tips/advice? Where the lines for purchasing the last minute excursions long?

We are sailing 10-9-10 on the Dream. I have put some effort into our excursions, all our non-Carnival excursions. Starting to think i should do some research of the Western ports...or maybe just follow in your footsteps. Thanks for the review...bookmarked!

Greg

They gave out the excursion booklet for the western ports pretty quickly, I think it was in our cabin on the 1st night - there was a "Fun Ashore" talk on the 1st sea day (sometime in the morning), there was something running on the TV also. I'm guessing more people used Carnival excursions than usual - since we had such a last minute change. I heard the lines were really long at the excursion desk - but we booked using the interactive TV- much easier, and the tickets just show up in your cabin!!!! The folks at the excursion desk really don't know much more than what is written in the descriptions in the booklet. We have learned our lesson in the past.... the time we got changed from Western to Eastern I had done my homework (yep, good teacher here!!!) and had checked out the Eastern itinerary and was ready with things to do (or beaches to go to, actually). Nassau is easy for me - I lived there when I was younger and spent many summers at my grandmother's house there.

Greg

We did this itinerary last year with our three kids. We have some really cool things we would love to do again if the opportunity arose. If, god forbid, our itinerary changed we can hopefully be of some assistance in that area!

Day 5 - Roatan

This was our 2nd time in Roatan. I was happy to get back here (even if we are scheduled to be there next year.... you can never tell where you’ll wind up cruising during hurricane season!!!) Last year we docked at Coxen Hole, this time at the new Mahognay Bay.

2474283070059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

The others decided to head to Mahogany Beach - ride the ‘magical flying beach chairs’ (which look amazingly like a ski lift, but I’m a beach bum, what do I know????)

2677174710059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Last time we went to “Fins and Flippers” - back when you booked on-line on your own and it cost about $25/person. Now, it’s called “Maya Key” and it’s a Carnival excursion - and the price is now $69.95/person. That being said, we didn’t hesitate to book it. If you like to snorkel it’s worth the price. The limit the number of people on the island (there were about 20 the first time, but still less than 75 this time), and lunch was included. The island has a pool, a little zoo, and some ‘fake’ ruins (dh walked up to see them, said it was pretty good - I was snorkeling most of the day!!!!).

We met the excursion group in the middle of the shopping area and walked down to a small pier to board the boat to Maya Key

2561159600059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Heading out of the port area, you can see a Dream and a nightmare!

(well, you can see a piece of the Dream, that’s the Valor in front of her!!!!)

2780691970059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

First look at the beach area (it’s not the world’s best swimming beach - not bad for little kids, it’s fairly shallow and calm)

2741743290059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Last year there was 2 rows of chairs, this year 4. But.... not all got filled up even when the Valor people started arriving (we were the 1st load to get there).

2619978630059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

snorkeling pics coming up soon (if life does not interfere!)

Snorkeling.......

You can rent equipment in the gift shop - from what I could see, it looks like fairly good stuff. I bring my own - it’s paid for itself by now! Dh has his own snorkel, but waits until I’m taking a break to use my mask and fins (he’s not really a snorkel fan, I think he just does it for me! He’s getting to like it a bit more ..,, maybe Santa needs to bring him his own mask this year (and that is really not because I’m tired of trying to get mine to fit again after he’s changed the adjustment on it!!!!! Really, it’s not!)

Just walk down this pier:

2192023570059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

and go down the stairs and into the water. Be ready to be awed. If you head out between the 2 buoys about 20 feet past them the coral just drops off like a wall. The water goes from a beautiful turquoise to a deep cobalt blue. Pictures just don’t do it justice.

2410424550059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2792298600059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2133786600059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

You can see the “wall” here:

2790918240059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Company when snorkeling:

2685996200059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

the rest of the day.....

I did take some time out to eat lunch, they had a buffet set up by the pool, here’s the menu:

2801036000059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

That sea bass was fantastic - and the ‘rice and peas’ (or peas and rice as it’s known in the Bahamas) tasted like ‘home’ to me! Very good food.

Here’s a few more shots from that day:

The view from my chair for the day

2775401080059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Not a bad place to spend some time

2980371280059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Mahogany Beach on the way back (too many people for me! )

2294736030059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Big kid on the block

2995645040059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

And back ‘home’ again (no rum punch today, so all was well at security!)

2591945630059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Because of the water (or lack of water) situation Carnival announced an ‘open bar’ for 1 hour. We went to the show before dinner (some kind of magic.... just OK) and dh braved the crowds, twice! Free drinks were only available at some of the bars, it probably would have been better to open ALL the bars for that hour. I talked to a few people who were not able to get even 1 drink during that time.

Tomorrow, Costa Maya (excited to see it again, we’ve not been there since the hurricane blew it away)

They gave out the excursion booklet for the western ports pretty quickly, I think it was in our cabin on the 1st night - there was a "Fun Ashore" talk on the 1st sea day (sometime in the morning), there was something running on the TV also. I'm guessing more people used Carnival excursions than usual - since we had such a last minute change. I heard the lines were really long at the excursion desk - but we booked using the interactive TV- much easier, and the tickets just show up in your cabin!!!! The folks at the excursion desk really don't know much more than what is written in the descriptions in the booklet. We have learned our lesson in the past.... the time we got changed from Western to Eastern I had done my homework (yep, good teacher here!!!) and had checked out the Eastern itinerary and was ready with things to do (or beaches to go to, actually). Nassau is easy for me - I lived there when I was younger and spent many summers at my grandmother's house there.

What do you suggest for the Bahamas? We are only there from 8:30 - 2:00pm

Thanks

What do you suggest for the Bahamas? We are only there from 8:30 - 2:00pm

Thanks

There are several things:

get a water taxi and go over to Paradise Island and walk around Atlantis (you can see a good bit without paying for an excursion) - or book a room (there or the hotel next door, get pool and beach privileges).

or get off the ship, take a right on Bay Street and walk down to the British Colonial hotel for a day pass (think it 's about $40 which gives you $30/food drink plus the use of pool and beach)

or do a walking tour of downtown - Queen's Staircase, the fort at the top, do a surrey ride, shop the straw market, get a 'feel' for the place.

(or you could volunteer to go and check on my Dad and Grandmother's graves for me!!!! Just kidding !!! )

Day 6 - Costa Maya

I was excited to get to go back to Costa Maya (well, actually Mahahual). We loved it the first time we were there, but missed the 2nd scheduled trip - right after Hurricane Dean pretty much wiped it off the map.

We had a nice breakfast in the MDR, then off the ship. It was a bit rainy, but that never stopped us, ever! So off we go, through the rebuilt port area (looks pretty much like it used to)

2364471740059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Swim up pool redone, too (it did get much more crowded later in the day - remember, it’s early and it’s rainy now!)

2024019550059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

We walked through the shopping area and out to the taxi/bus area. Got a couple of tickets to “downtown” (that term is very loosely used!!)

And off we go...

Yep, all rebuilt, and then some

2775813900059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

The main street is now paved (miss those huge ropes that were used as speed bumps, still a couple on the back street, tho.). There used to be a couple of bars on the beach side, but they are no longer there.

2609418140059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2732293080059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2742436550059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

We were greeted by a guy from El Faro as soon as we hit the main street,

2811533110059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

liked his attitude! We walked down the street just to look, but went back to him for chairs (and drink!)

So, a summary of today:

Tickets from the port to Mahahual: $3 each

2813534220059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Margarita that was heavy on the tequila (yep, it’s 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!) $4.

2229191610059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Hour long massage on the beach: $20. (plus a good tip!)

2166835840059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Spending the day this way:

2101169280059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

PRICELESS!!!!!!

(note about that last picture: He’s laying on his chair, we pulled them out into the water, and why is the picture kinda blurry?? Remember that $4 margarita? ‘Nuff said!!!!)

We spent most of the day hanging out on the beach, in the water, and enjoying the great service from El Faro (not pushy at all.... just wave when you want something - whenever...... he brought drinks and left so fast after I paid (you can run a tab, but we were not sure how long we would stay, so paid as we went) - I had to call him back to give him a tip!

The sun came out fairly early, and the beach started to fill up so we headed back to the ship for lunch and a nap (stopping to buy a magnet on the way), Had lunch at the Indian Tandoor grill today - loved the fish. Dh hit the pasta bar and was a happy boy.

Today was the past guest party and the 2nd Elegant night. Food and drink plentiful at the party - same video still. Didn’t see anyone not dressed appropriately (‘cause that would have surely ruined our cruise!) Went to the show - “Get Ready” - Motown, good music, had a good time. Sad that today was our last port - one more sea day coming up.

Archived