considering insignia

nearly there

We're considering a summer cruise on Insignia. We've cruised on Radisson and Silverseas previously, but would like to join extended family who've booked Insignia. I have 2 questions about Oceania that I wonder if anyone can answer.

1. Can you usually get a table for 2 in the main/other restaurants? If we're not with our family, we usually prefer eating on our own.

2. I've read a bit about the smoking policy. Is it true that you can't smoke on your cabin veranda? Is there anywhere, inside or out, that cigar smoking is permitted? My husband is an extremely considerate smoker, but not being able to smoke his cigar at all for 10 days might be a deal breaker.

thanks in advance

nearly

We have never smoked ourselves, but did see people smoking on the Regatta. They all abided by the rules and smoked only in the designated areas (such as one corner of the pool deck, etc.) However, we did not see any cigar smoking, just cigarettes. Perhaps someone else can clarify whether cigars are allowed at all.

Incidentally, just for reference, even on the Silver Shadow, cigars are permitted only in the "Humidor", while cigarettes can be smoked in a few more designated areas. For fire safety reasons, I guess most ships do not allow smoking in your cabin or the balcony. Am I right?

This from the Oceania website-

"What is the smoking policy of Oceania Cruises?"

"For the comfort and safety of our guests smoking is permitted only in designated areas. These will be a small section of the Horizons Bar and a small section on the Pool Deck. Smoking is not permitted in the staterooms, public room, verandas or in any of the dining areas. Cigar and pipe smoking will not be allowed anywhere indoors."

Hope this helps.

Hi Nearly There,

My husband smokes cigars and he was able to go off the ship in the ports while we were doing the Baltic Cruise and enjoy his cigar. You will both have to weigh whether joining your extended family on a cruise will be more important than his cigar smoking.

By the way, we have booked two more Oceania cruises and he will bring his cigars along to smoke off the ship.

Sheila

Just got off the Insignia 2 days ago.

Yes, it's true that there's no smoking on the verandah's. The only place to smoke is a small section of the Horizon's Lounge (no cigars or pipes) and an area near the pool (not sure about cigar policy).

No problems getting a table for two in any of the dining rooms.

Jane

Thanks everyone who took the time to respond. We now have the information with which to make a decision. I do need to add, that my husband never thought there was a chance of smoking cigars indoors, he just was surprised about not being able to smoke on the veranda. But, if those are the rules....

We'll see what we decide.

thanks again

nearly

Also, I should add that the "humidor" room on Silver Shadow was awesome! I've never been in a room filled with smokers, cigars and cigarettes, where the air was totally fresh. They have an incredible ventilation system. It was so nice because friends and family actually could join the smokers in a really pleasant lounge environment. On the Radisson Seven Seas Voyager, the smoking room was just a smoking room...you wouldn't want to spend time there if you didn't have to.

Nearly

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Just a thought for the gentleman who is surprised he can not smoke cigars on his balcony. I think Oceania rule is an attempt to carefully consider everybody's comfort. What many smokers do not realize is that people who do not smoke (even those of us who unfortunately did for too long!) are often very sensitive to smoke. The breeze always blows the smoke into surrounding areas and is offensive to nonsmokers on neighboring balconies. We experienced this on our last cruise and it definitely affected our ability to enjoy our balcony. But, Oceania (if it proves as nice as Rennaisssance, which is why we have booked it) is definitely worth holding off the cigar smoking for port days, which are many!

Hello,

We were on Insignia last summer. DH is a cigar smoker and would have a nightly cigar upstairs by the pool area. Some nights it was cigarette smokers only up there but other nights there were other cigar smokers to join him.

Elin

We have traveled on Silversea/Raddison (which is still our first choice) yet tried Insignia this past November- and... we've booked for Mar.'06 to Asia, strictly because of the itinerary and time of year which is good for us. While there is not as much sense of "community" as the other two lines, and unfortunately Oceania does not have a great bar anywhere with a trio of "up and contemporary music", for example, we found that the ship was lovely. We enjoy open seating, the food was terrific, DH could smoke his cubans, staff helpful- the ships tour department was seriously lacking, so we book our own.......but sophisticated travelers know how to do this anyway! It is a good product, however, you should try it.;)

Sheila, I was thinking the same thing about DH"S and their cigarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. Definately.........but mine enjoys them on sea days around 2ish.....after lunch............we can chat! L:o

Hi Merryecho,

Great suggestion!!! By the way, I'm allergic to smoke. My DH smokes out in the garage -- it's a good thing we live in S.California -- but it still gets down to 40 degrees at night in the winter where we live. We call it "The Smoke Room".

Sheila

Archived