portraits

findmewdw

They took portraits several times during the cruise in the evenings and did a nice job (DW and I had a few taken). However, be prepared to pay $24.95 for each 8 x 10 :eek:

You are NOT required to purchase the photos. (Tip: On the last day, you should receive notice that the photo shop will have a "buy 4 get 1 free" sale - not much of a sale, you're still dropping $100...LOL)

They took portraits several times during the cruise in the evenings and did a nice job (DW and I had a few taken). However, be prepared to pay $24.95 for each 8 x 10 :eek:

You are NOT required to purchase the photos. (Tip: On the last day, you should receive notice that the photo shop will have a "buy 4 get 1 free" sale - not much of a sale, you're still dropping $100...LOL)

Whoa! That is expensive. Thanks for the tip. I do want to purchase some, so I'll wait until the last day. Will that be Friday or disembarkation day? I'm hoping Friday. I wonder if they will give copyright release so I can copy for Christmas cards? I know Disney Cruiseline did that for me. I purchased over 100 worth of pictures and I was allowed to get a copyright release.

Will that be Friday or disembarkation day? I'm hoping Friday.

Per DAGVBSB's cruise review

Photo Department - Some improvement shown in this area over the clowns we had on the Dawn. Still not the best, but getting better. These guys have no personality however. Two chairs and an end table would be more friendly than these people. Everything was so serious with them and if you tried to lighten the mood around them, you got a dirty stare like you were upstaging them. (which wouldn’t be hard to do.)

They were available each night to take pictures in the main atrium with different backgrounds and styles each night. They actually spent time working with people to get good poses and were the most patient at working with children that I have seen. (except that they didn’t know how to make the kids relax with a little humor.).

When they came around the dining rooms for dinner pictures, they were not pushy like on other ships. If you said no, they would leave and not try to force you to have one taken. Same is true with the disembarkation in ports photos. On the Dawn in 2006, they literally blocked the gangway and would not let you get by without a picture. On this ship, if you said no, then they left it at that.

Some hints to save money:

1.) Don’t buy early in the week. They run their better deals/specials during the last few days. They will have a 20% off sale of formal poses one night. If you are purchasing several shots, then you can wait until the last couple days when they will run a “buy 4, get one free” promotion. (which figures out to 20% off.). The promotion will allow you to mix and match from different types (dining room, formal, disembarkation, etc.).

2.) The pictures stay up all week… no rush. Go during less crowded times like late evenings (after 8:30) or around 4:00 p.m.. They are also open some mornings.

3.) If you have a port side balcony mid ship or forward, you may be able to save yourself some money as we did. They won’t let you take port disembarkation photos with your own camera down on the dock. (in fact, they yell at you if you try as a member of our party found out.) For the rest of the week, we went at different times and one of our group had a high powered zoom camera. We simply stood on our balcony and when our group members stopped to have their pictures taken with the animal by the ship photographers, we simply shot it from the balcony. Not as direct a view as the ships cameraman, but we have some great disembarkation photos of the kids in our group (the only ones we wanted anyhow) that we took ourselves.

Pulled a fast one on the photographers there….lol.

And TXDZ's cruise review

Another thing we learned too late - the did a photo special on Friday - buy 4, get 1 free...if we'd only known, we'd have waited. We were purchasing our pictures throughout the week as we went - no reason to do that. The pics stay up all week long, so we could have waited (though it would have been crowded, might have been worth it to save that $12.95 or whatever we spent per photo).

Whoa! That is expensive. Thanks for the tip. I do want to purchase some, so I'll wait until the last day. Will that be Friday or disembarkation day? I'm hoping Friday. I wonder if they will give copyright release so I can copy for Christmas cards? I know Disney Cruiseline did that for me. I purchased over 100 worth of pictures and I was allowed to get a copyright release.

That's both Friday & Saturday (for a few hours in the morning on Sat). As has been quoted before by other CC members, the photos are displayed for the entire week, they don't take them down (unless you buy them or ask to recycle them) until the end of the cruise. As for making Christmas cards, I know they have a service for that right at the photo desk (not sure of the pricing, but I saw quite a few folks taking advantage of it). The photos are not wartermarked - I've scanned the formal shot I had and it came out fine. (Shhhhhh-don't tell anyone....lol)

Archived