An Endorsement for Cunard QM2 with two Toddlers

NYreadytogo

My family and I just got off the QM2 (US and Canada cruise), and I wrote a longer post on the Cunard boards, but then thought that some of this information would be pertinent here. Our family consists of myself, my husband (both 32), his parents, and our children (1 year old DD and 3 years old DS). This was our first time on Cunard, but it was my 13th cruise overall, my husband's 15th, our DS's 6th, our DD's 2nd, and my in-law's 20-something. All our vacations are cruises, and we had previously sailed multiple times with HAL, RCCL, NCL, and once with Princess, and had decided not to ever sail NCL again, as we actively disliked the atmosphere. One of our main reasons for booking this cruise is because they have a children's program that takes 1 year old children and non-toilet trained kids, and both my kids are in diapers.

Overall, the service was wonderful everywhere, the atmosphere elegant but not snooty, the boat was beautiful, the food was good, the entertainment and activities were plentiful and engaging, and the children's nannies were wonderful (all were young, british women in their twenties)- they cuddled and changed "nappies." There is also an outside playground and cars that were fun for the kids. My 3 year old son liked the nursery a lot, and my 1 year old daughter (who never got left anywhere alone before) only cried a little, and then spent an hour at a time playing in their ball pit (clutching her little security blanket). We only left them in there a couple of hours a day on sea days, but the nursery is open 9-12, 2-5, and 6-12 every sea day (and by appointment plus 6-12 on sea days).

Even though the atmosphere was elegant and classy, there were rowdy trivias and name that tunes, and people were always smiling at my energetic and boisterous children as they ran and jumped about. Yes, every single man I saw wore a Jacket in the dining room, even on casual nights, but no one seemed to mind if a baby with a blanket toddled around, exclaiming loudly (in her pretty dress). The trimmings were all elegant and formal, but the atmosphere was very relaxed.

Of course, any cruise with 2 toddlers (even with grandparents along and a good children's club) is not all that relaxing, but we really had a good time, never felt out of place, and are looking forward to doing this again. It was a much, much better experience than our cruise on the HAL Veendam just a few months ago (and we had more family and, thus, more helping hands on that cruise).

Cunard is a great cruise line for those with young children. Aside from the fact that they, along with P&O, are probably unique in looking after under 2s who are not yet nappy trained, their carers and kiddie facilities are excellent.

Add to that beautiful ships with a real air of friendly elegance, and you have a great holiday!:)

• 5 months later...

Cunard have just changed their policy to only allowing 2yr olds and above in the kids club and under two's must be accompanied by an adult. There is an active thread on the Cunard board at the moment about this.

I've cruised with my kids (13,11,2) on the Queen Victoria for the past 2 yrs and they have really enjoyed the kids facilities and I've managed a couple of hours 'me time' happy that they are happy.

Archived