cruise ship dive operation

jwright98

Does anyone know which dive operation handles the Celebrity excursions? I didn't want the "cattle boat" experience.

Also looking for dive excursion recommendations. Thanks!

Hi, I am also a diver who will be on the Millennium next April to the southern Caribbean. I have been on several cruises, and have used my own bookings (that I made on the internet before I left), so if you'll tell me which islands you're visiting, I can tell you if I've had a good experience with a dive outfit there.

I'm with you...nothing worse than too many divers on a boat! (Is that your regulator, or mine?)

Jane :)

jwright98 - Can you post up your sailing and port itinerary? That will help in determining the dive operators used.

I did Solstice Western Caribbean in July. The operator was Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. The one in Cozumel was Sand Dollar Sports. And I can't recall the name of the one in Grand Cayman. I didn't dive in Costa Maya.

The Grand Cayman operator was about a 3-5 minute drive from the tender docks. They were a decent operation but seemed a bit less than what I expected.

Similar report on Sand Dollar Sports. The boats did not seem to be terribly nice or in super condition.

AKR in Roatan was exactly what I had been expecting. Nice operation. Well kept boats. And great people service.

I'm doing W. Caribbean again next month and plan to only do Grand Cayman and AKR. And, the main reason for doing GC is so that my friend can get in their 1 open water dive that AKR requires within the past year (It's been over 3 years since their last dive. They're re-taking the basic certification course here in Seattle but won't be able to get in any dives until the cruise).

Hi, I am also a diver who will be on the Millennium next April to the southern Caribbean. I have been on several cruises, and have used my own bookings (that I made on the internet before I left), so if you'll tell me which islands you're visiting, I can tell you if I've had a good experience with a dive outfit there.

I'm with you...nothing worse than too many divers on a boat! (Is that your regulator, or mine?)

Jane :)

I will be on the Sept 26 Solstice sailing to GC, Coz, Costa Maya and Roatan. Thanks again!

jwright98 - Can you post up your sailing and port itinerary? That will help in determining the dive operators used.

I did Solstice Western Caribbean in July. The operator was Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. The one in Cozumel was Sand Dollar Sports. And I can't recall the name of the one in Grand Cayman. I didn't dive in Costa Maya.

The Grand Cayman operator was about a 3-5 minute drive from the tender docks. They were a decent operation but seemed a bit less than what I expected.

Similar report on Sand Dollar Sports. The boats did not seem to be terribly nice or in super condition.

AKR in Roatan was exactly what I had been expecting. Nice operation. Well kept boats. And great people service.

I'm doing W. Caribbean again next month and plan to only do Grand Cayman and AKR. And, the main reason for doing GC is so that my friend can get in their 1 open water dive that AKR requires within the past year (It's been over 3 years since their last dive. They're re-taking the basic certification course here in Seattle but won't be able to get in any dives until the cruise).

Did you book through the cruise ship? particularly for Roatan and AKR? Was it crowded or fine?

We are taking a refresher course here, but it is in a pool. Does that count for the "dive every 2 years"? If not, what did your friend sign up for in GC that will count toward this qualification? We may have to do the same thing.

My husband and daughter are doing their 4 certification dives this weekend.

In December we'll be cruising to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan.

They'd live to dive in Cozumel and Roatan.

These will be their first "real" dives.

Has anyone tried the "valet" dive services? Sounds like it could be agood way for them to go. Any particular dive shops for newbies? Or to be avoided?

Thanks,

Sara

Did you book through the cruise ship? particularly for Roatan and AKR? Was it crowded or fine?

We are taking a refresher course here, but it is in a pool. Does that count for the "dive every 2 years"? If not, what did your friend sign up for in GC that will count toward this qualification? We may have to do the same thing.

Hi,

Yes, I had booked through Celebrity for all my diving excursions.

For the upcoming cruise, my friend has decided to do 2 open-water dives here in Seattle to become more comfortable with her gear and all. We also found out that all the dive excursions required a dive within the past 2 years (we had though GC didn't), so we figured we'd play it safe and do open-water dives for her.

Hello!

We just got back from the Solstice (W. Carib.).

Celebrity uses Don Foster's in Grand Cayman - We did not book through the ship - We did our own shore dive at Eden Rock - Devil's Grotto - lovely and relaxed - more that 60 minutes of bottom time.

Cozumel - Soltice uses Sand Dollar -- We booked with Dive with Alison - We wished to have a small intimate dive experience -- Very nice.

Costa Maya - Solstice uses Dreamtime Dive Resort. We booked through the ship for this one. Pleasant dive experience. The tropical Depression had just came through the day before so, the larger boats were moved and we used small boats which were quite cramped.

Still a very nice experience.

Roatan - Solstice uses Anthony's Key Resort. We booked Subway Watersports. There were only 4 of us diving (besides the 4 guys training for Dive Master - who were completely independent of our group.

We have been to AKR several times and usually we feel rushed and the groups can be large. The diving is beautiful with either dive op.

However, Subway Watersports did have several issues - boat died - they had another boat there in 10 minutes, and both vehicles had engine troubles and getting back to the boat felt dodgy. We weren't stressed - there are taxis readily available.

To "keep it simple" use the dive operators with the ship. If you are more comfortable - consider shore dives in Grand Cayman & "Dive with Alison" in Cozumel.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We have been on 4 cruises with this

itinerary, specifically for the diving.

Joyfully cruising and diving for 5+ years.

Anne

Dear Sara,

Please keep in mind diving in Cozumel for new divers can be daunting. The currents can be very strong. Please let Alison know, she will arrange for a more calm spot if needed.

We did Chankanaab (sp?) which was nice and mellow compared to our first Dive at Santa Rosa where the current was very strong, but fun.

Anne

Hello!

We just got back from the Solstice (W. Carib.).

Celebrity uses Don Foster's in Grand Cayman - We did not book through the ship - We did our own shore dive at Eden Rock - Devil's Grotto - lovely and relaxed - more that 60 minutes of bottom time.

Cozumel - Soltice uses Sand Dollar -- We booked with Dive with Alison - We wished to have a small intimate dive experience -- Very nice.

Costa Maya - Solstice uses Dreamtime Dive Resort. We booked through the ship for this one. Pleasant dive experience. The tropical Depression had just came through the day before so, the larger boats were moved and we used small boats which were quite cramped.

Still a very nice experience.

Roatan - Solstice uses Anthony's Key Resort. We booked Subway Watersports. There were only 4 of us diving (besides the 4 guys training for Dive Master - who were completely independent of our group.

We have been to AKR several times and usually we feel rushed and the groups can be large. The diving is beautiful with either dive op.

However, Subway Watersports did have several issues - boat died - they had another boat there in 10 minutes, and both vehicles had engine troubles and getting back to the boat felt dodgy. We weren't stressed - there are taxis readily available.

To "keep it simple" use the dive operators with the ship. If you are more comfortable - consider shore dives in Grand Cayman & "Dive with Alison" in Cozumel.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We have been on 4 cruises with this

itinerary, specifically for the diving.

Joyfully cruising and diving for 5+ years.

Anne

Thanks Anne. We are booked at Nachi Cocom for Cozumel. Is it feasible to get to Allison's shop from there (not sure if you are familiar)? Just wondering. Otherwise, Nachi mentioned Dive Palancar.

Hello!

"Dive with Alison" is located at the Caleta Marina and her boat is the Maximus. You would take a short (5 minute) cab ride to the Marina where she will be waiting for the divers at the Marina.

The marina is closer to the ship than Nachi Coccum based on what I saw on their website.

She typically is ready to go as soon as you can get off the ship. Once at the marina gear the is loaded then off you go, but all in all is at least a 4+ hour experience. It could be tight for your DH & DD to get to Nachi Cocum.

Often divers are starving, ready for a shower and a nap! :) So, they may want to consider heading back to the ship.

By the time we were done with our dive, got back to the ship, showered and got up the the Oceanview Cafe or Bistro on 5, it was nearly 4:00pm. This was the case for all of our dive outings.

We never seem to get back in time for the full Buffet. We loved the panini's at Bistro on 5, Delish! Sorry, I got slightly off topic.

I hope this info helps.

Anne

Archived