Cruise Virgin - Please Be Gentle

Disco DeeJay

Haven't been on Freedom (we're booked to do a B2B next summer) but spent two weeks on Independence during the summer from Southampton. It's the same class of ship, so if you have any questions, give us a shout. We live in Dunblane, Scotland.

We're heading to Disney as well this year. It will be our third year in a row. We thought Disney (Beach Club) was brilliant and then we discovered RCL. We are hooked on both. I spent my evenings going between DIBB and CC!!

Our DD is 6 and DS is 9. They LOVED the cruise, especially the clubs. You will love your cruise!!

Enjoy!!

I've gone through the list of trips available in the 'my cruise' section of RCI's website and they offer several different levels of dolphin trips, from the basic meet the dolphins, through swimming with them and also interacting with them via dorsal fin tows etc.

We will definately be doing the top level one, as I believe "if it's worth doing, do it properly" (as long as you can afford it).:)

I'm not too sure if it's because the rate of the £ to the US$ is poor at present and RCI worked out their prices when it was at a much higher level, but the price quoted in £'s by RCI is very competitive and sometimes cheaper than local tour operators prices which are quoted in US$.

Has anyone else from the UK noticed this?

Don't book your excursions through RCI. You can always get the same excursions locally and save a lot more money. When we go on Freedom next summer, the only RCI trip we will do is the one to the Kennedy Space Centre so we can have RCI keep our bags then deliver us all back to the airport before flying home.

Not sure where you are going on the Freedom but if you are going to Cozumel, your daughter can swim with the dolphins there. I'd advise you to book it directly with the company rather than through the cruise line. Dolphin swim

Enjoy your cruise!

Just checked the direct link and it quotes US$72 as the best discounted rate for a Dolphin Encounter.

RCI are quoting £46.50 for the exact same Dolphin Encounter, which comes in at just under US$70 at current rates and I assume includes transportation.(Trip Ref. CZ14)

Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim & Turtle Farm - GCD2

They are also quoting £75 (US$112) for the Ultimate Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim followed by a visit to the Turtle Farm at Grand Caymen (Trip Ref. GCD2), which again seems very good value to me.

As I said earlier, I think the way that the £ to $ rate has fluctuated recently may be working in the favour of UK travellers.

I'd be interested to see what US travellers are getting quoted for the above trips.

Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim & Turtle Farm - GCD2

We are booked on the same sailing of the freedom. We have 8 and 12 year old sons and picked the larger ship because I've heard there are tons of fun things for the kids. My 8 year old is also wanting to swim with the dolphins. My older son and I did a dolphin encounter several years ago in Cozumel and really enjoyed it. Maybe we will meet up at the kids club.....happy sailing and be sure to try universal studios in Orlando also...my kids LOVE it!

We are booked on the same sailing of the freedom. We have 8 and 12 year old sons and picked the larger ship because I've heard there are tons of fun things for the kids. My 8 year old is also wanting to swim with the dolphins. My older son and I did a dolphin encounter several years ago in Cozumel and really enjoyed it. Maybe we will meet up at the kids club.....happy sailing and be sure to try universal studios in Orlando also...my kids LOVE it!

Already have our tix booked for Disney and Universal.

Sophie is very tall for her age and gets on all the rides.

She's looking forward to the Harry Potter rides at Universal and Toy Story Mania at Hollywood Studios, as they are new. We were last in Orlando 3 years ago.

Hopefully see you on board.

Archived