ncl vs carnival camps

dnj1

My DD ages 4 and 10 have cruised 3 times on Carnival and love camp carnival. I'm thinking about giving NCL a try. What can I expect different? I was looking at their "Dallie or whatever they call it" and it did not give an hour by hour list of activities like carnival does. Do they have scheduled activities the entire time until lunch or dinner pick up? I see that you must be older than 13 to sign out, unlike carnival. I see they have a buffet for kids, is that true? Kid Pool? Any details would be great....Thanks. They seem to have alot family actitivies scheduled. So that means..unless we attend that actvity with them, then they are closed for that time period?

What else...any clarification would be great. I'm just doing a little research! Oh yeh..we will be sailing NCL Spirit.

I think you should be satisfied with NCL's kids clubs as well and the NCL ship. I'm thinking and can't remember the difference between the cruiselines. I was more happy to be finally alone with my DW that I didn't care who took care of my Darling kids....(sacarsm)....

We haven't cruised Carnival yet, but will in about 16 days (finally). Here are some observations about NCL, though.

I think one of the things I noticed on NCL was that camp isn't open on shore days, unless you sign up for pay babysitting. I don't remember any late night dance parties. They had a darling talent show with all the kids on the NCL ship. It was really cute how they marched them through the ship singing "We are the kids club, the mighty mighty kids club". They have a childrens buffet section in the main buffet. It's very small, and has chicken nuggets, hot dogs, pasta, etc. It's cute.

One day they dressed up like "Pirates and Princesses" and they all got to "steer the ship". This made for a GREAT picture of my son with the Ship Captain driving!!

NCL didn't offer "eating dinner with your friends" like Carnival does. I believe it was only 1 night during the week of the cruise. My kids would have liked to have eatten with their friends every night. In fact, I believe we wouldnt' have seen them at all if we hadn't forced them out of camp.

We were on the NCL Star and they had a kids pool / little water slides, and hot tub in the Aft of the ship. The club did not take them to the kids pool.

We haven't cruised Carnival yet, but will in about 16 days (finally). Here are some observations about NCL, though.

I think one of the things I noticed on NCL was that camp isn't open on shore days, unless you sign up for pay babysitting. I don't remember any late night dance parties. They had a darling talent show with all the kids on the NCL ship. It was really cute how they marched them through the ship singing "We are the kids club, the mighty mighty kids club". They have a childrens buffet section in the main buffet. It's very small, and has chicken nuggets, hot dogs, pasta, etc. It's cute.

One day they dressed up like "Pirates and Princesses" and they all got to "steer the ship". This made for a GREAT picture of my son with the Ship Captain driving!!

NCL didn't offer "eating dinner with your friends" like Carnival does. I believe it was only 1 night during the week of the cruise. My kids would have liked to have eatten with their friends every night. In fact, I believe we wouldnt' have seen them at all if we hadn't forced them out of camp.

We were on the NCL Star and they had a kids pool / little water slides, and hot tub in the Aft of the ship. The club did not take them to the kids pool.

Allowing the kids to have dinner with friends was a plus on Carnival. Our kids took advantage of that 3 times during a 7 day cruise and we loved it. I may miss that a little bit. The kids buffet and pool sounds nice. What about ice cream..is it free somewhere? Yes, carnival also had a special party until 3 am one night that my DD10 loved. They even delivered the kids back to the cabin.

Allowing the kids to have dinner with friends was a plus on Carnival. Our kids took advantage of that 3 times during a 7 day cruise and we loved it. I may miss that a little bit. The kids buffet and pool sounds nice. What about ice cream..is it free somewhere? Yes, carnival also had a special party until 3 am one night that my DD10 loved. They even delivered the kids back to the cabin.

On the Star they did have an ice cream place (hard ice cream) that was free, back by the water park area. It was only open during the middle of the day, though. I don't remember if there was soft serve at the buffet, but I bet there was.

I'm really looking forward to the "eating with friends" on Carnival in a couple of weeks. I think both of my kids will LOVE that! The dance party until 3am sounds right up my sons alley!! He will party like no body's business!!

Do you know if the "dinner with friends" is offered everynight on Carnival? I'm trying to decide if they will attend elegant night with us? or go to camp?

On the Star they did have an ice cream place (hard ice cream) that was free, back by the water park area. It was only open during the middle of the day, though. I don't remember if there was soft serve at the buffet, but I bet there was.

I'm really looking forward to the "eating with friends" on Carnival in a couple of weeks. I think both of my kids will LOVE that! The dance party until 3am sounds right up my sons alley!! He will party like no body's business!!

Do you know if the "dinner with friends" is offered everynight on Carnival? I'm trying to decide if they will attend elegant night with us? or go to camp?

What Carnival ship are you sailing? Eat dinner with your friends is offered alot, I think every night other than the embarkation. (the time my not always fit your schedule but...) The food with friends is held in the buffet area. Chicken nuggets, burgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese.(kid stuff) After dinner they take them back to camp. My DD10 likes grown up food too, so we let her eat with us a few times on every cruise and that is fine with her too. Carnival soft serve and pizza is 24 hours. Be sure to attend the orienation on embarkation night, even if you pre register on line. It's a fun event for the entire family that first night. Camp hours will not officially begin until the next morning. You will also sign him up for 3am party at the orientation. I just love Camp C. I am hoping we will be just as pleased with NCL.

Also, by what I hear you will have a much bigger cabin on carnival.

So should I just bring pirate and pricess attire with us?

We're on the Splendor going to the Mexican Riviera on 10/10. I cannot wait!!! To say I'm counting the days is an understatement.

Great to hear about "dinner with friends". I'm sure that our daughter will want to eat with us almost every night, but my son will prefer friends.

No need to bring princess / pirate attire. They'll "make the up" there!

We did register online, but will definitely attend the orientation that night!! Did you let your daughter sign herself out from camp in order to do the Scavenger Hunts? This is something we're still on the fence about.

My DD ages 4 and 10 have cruised 3 times on Carnival and love camp carnival. I'm thinking about giving NCL a try. What can I expect different? I was looking at their "Dallie or whatever they call it" and it did not give an hour by hour list of activities like carnival does. Do they have scheduled activities the entire time until lunch or dinner pick up? I see that you must be older than 13 to sign out, unlike carnival. I see they have a buffet for kids, is that true? Kid Pool? Any details would be great....Thanks. They seem to have alot family actitivies scheduled. So that means..unless we attend that actvity with them, then they are closed for that time period?

What else...any clarification would be great. I'm just doing a little research! Oh yeh..we will be sailing NCL Spirit.

I've found that the different ships have slightly different events, such as the talent show mentioned by Wavesprite. The Star definitely does this, but not all the NCL ships we've been on have had one for kids. There is also definitely a schedule of activities, which you pick up when you register and shows everything for the entire week. I believe that there is still someone in the Kid's Crew area while the family events are going on, but I can't guarantee that, since we've either attended them or been swimming or something when they've taken place. If you've never done them, they're generally fun activities to do with your kids.

Oh... and the 'age of permission' for self-sign out is 10. Your eldest will be able to sign in and out (there is a minimum stay time before they're allowed to sign out, but I'm not sure what it is), but they cannot sign out the younger children.

We cruised Carnival a lot and think the dinner with friends is great for the older kids. We don't let our son go because we feel we need to know exactly what he eats. One thing that has been a huge hit with him is letting him order room service while we get dressed for dinner. He thinks it's so special that the waiter bring in the food with the big covers on the plates. Just thought I'd mention it in case you go with NCL or the CC dinner doesn't fit your schedule.

Just off the Dream and they had kids dinner with friends everynight (except the first). Drop off was at 6pm and food was served until 6:20. Our girls went three times...would have gone everynight but we made them eat with us some;)

My nine year old loved the "party till 3am" night--they even get a certificate!

We struggled with the signing out thing but decided to let her sign out for scavenger hunts only. She is my responsible, rule follower so I was not concerned (my younger daughter will be a different story:p)

Just off the Dream and they had kids dinner with friends everynight (except the first). Drop off was at 6pm and food was served until 6:20. Our girls went three times...would have gone everynight but we made them eat with us some;)

My nine year old loved the "party till 3am" night--they even get a certificate!

We struggled with the signing out thing but decided to let her sign out for scavenger hunts only. She is my responsible' date=' rule follower so I was not concerned (my younger daughter will be a different story:p)[/quote']

Thanks for the great information. My son will follow the rules that I set, so I think I'm going to allow the scavenger hunt sign out to. Could you tell me what they do for it? and how long it lasts?

After the dance party, did they bring them back to the rooms?

Thanks for the great information. My son will follow the rules that I set, so I think I'm going to allow the scavenger hunt sign out to. Could you tell me what they do for it? and how long it lasts?

After the dance party, did they bring them back to the rooms?

Yes, after the 3am party they deliver the child back to the cabin. DD wanted to stay up talking...telling me about all the fun she had. I said No way...we will talk in the morning. I didnt think that I would be able to sleep until she was delivered safely, but honestly I was so tired and had such a great experience with the camp all week, I slept like a baby.

Yes, I did allow dd10 to sign out. BUT rules followed. They meet at a "club" alot and she was told that when the "activity was over", she could sit directly outside of that club until we came for her. We had a camp schedule so we knew when things would be over. One day we did allow her to leave their meeting place and come to pizza spot on the Lido for lunch. (we all knew how to get their with our eyes clothes):) So she was able to sign out but with clear directions each time. Never did she just walk around. The scaveger hunt is an activity that maybe lasted 30 minutes. And when my DD did it, she was in a group with 4 other girls. They walked around the ship looking for their scavenger items.

I hope this was not too much info. I enjoy thinking back to the good ole days. :D At the same time I'm trying to get just as excited about NCL.

I've found that the different ships have slightly different events, such as the talent show mentioned by Wavesprite. The Star definitely does this, but not all the NCL ships we've been on have had one for kids. There is also definitely a schedule of activities, which you pick up when you register and shows everything for the entire week. I believe that there is still someone in the Kid's Crew area while the family events are going on, but I can't guarantee that, since we've either attended them or been swimming or something when they've taken place. If you've never done them, they're generally fun activities to do with your kids.

Oh... and the 'age of permission' for self-sign out is 10. Your eldest will be able to sign in and out (there is a minimum stay time before they're allowed to sign out, but I'm not sure what it is), but they cannot sign out the younger children.

Good Information thanks. I look foward to the "family activities". Will this include DD5 too? Will we DH and I and 2 DD be very crowed in a ocean view room? (not that it matters...its too late now:), but its good to know what to expect. Can you bring arm floaties for the kid pool?

Good Information thanks. I look foward to the "family activities". Will this include DD5 too? Will we DH and I and 2 DD be very crowed in a ocean view room? (not that it matters...its too late now:), but its good to know what to expect. Can you bring arm floaties for the kid pool?

Yes, we brought floaties for our daughter who was 3 at the time. One thing that was cute at NCL was they took the kids to a couple of the "appropriate" shows. Magician, and acrobat show, I believe. We sat in the same show as our kids (front row seats on the side, for the kids club) and watched the kids, it was so cute!! Also the magician came to club once and did a little show just for the kids. they had a ice cream sundae party, decorated tshirts, and had so MUCH fun!! I think it sounds like the hours for Carnival are better, but my kids LOVED NCL. Plus they had jungle gym (like Chuck E Cheese) in their club on the Star..

I just read about "port play" on NCL camp. I'm assuming this means that they charge while ship is in port. We will do some excursions, but will be back on board early. So if kids wanted to go camp...the bucks adding up, right? Also, doing this port play time, does group sitting mean all ages groups together during this time?

Carnival is different. No charges on port days. The Spirit intinerary is 4 ports and they dont leave until 6 in the evening. UMmm...this is a negative. :( We love our kids, but thats 4 days with no daytime hours of camp without paying additional charges. I guess we were spoiled by Carnival with this one.

Archived