Grandeur of the Seas 9/11 review

badgr17fan

We just recently finished a wonderful five night cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas. Visited ports included Key West, Cozumel, and Coco Cay. This was Capt Rob's last sailing aboard GOS.

Embarkation - Port Everglades. We flew in the night prior because AirTran adjusted our flight schedule three times prior to departure and we didn't want to take any chances. We stayed at the Hampton Inn north cruise port which was nice and comfortable and included free breakfast. Friends on the cruise with us drove down from Tampa so we had use of their vehicle and used the parking garage at the port ($15/day paid on exit). Upon arrival (early around 10:30) we were in a line with probably less than 50 people and they had only two security screening points operating. After the crowd size started picking up they opened a larger waiting hall /security area but we had been screened already so they directed us directly to the cruise agents and after the obligatory photo were on board. The total time was probably 30 minutes from curbside bag drop off to parking and on the ship. Only hitch was enroute to the port a train was stuck in the crossing by only feet and the gates were down. I had to jump out, add some additional counterweight to the gates to lift them up and allow us to pass. Always an adventure it seems. We were able to bring a case of water aboard in roller soft sided cooler without problems.

Food

Windjammer - Okay to good. We ate lunch embarkation day in the windjammer and then ate here only for breakfast. Tried the honey-stung chicken everybody raves about but it was dried out and lacked any taste. There wasn't much variety at least from what we saw at breakfast from day to day. The omelet station was the best part of breakfast and they also always had fresh fruit. Pastries/doughnuts seemed like day old bakery stuff you'd get at your local convenience store.

MDR - Outstanding. We chose MTD and had a party of 7. We made sure to make reservations in advance and this was good because there were limited large tables. We got the same roundtop everyday and had the wonderful waitering team of Romar and Ruell. We loved the bread and Ruell made many trips over with his basket. We had a 6 year old with us and they made every meal special for him. His favorite was the plate of cookies they brought over for him every night. He also needed soy milk which was specially requested through the special needs department. They didn't have any the first night dinner and said they did not get any with their provisions, but I think Ruell made a special trip into Key West to get it by the second night's dinner. One of our friends told our head waiter how much they liked shrimp cocktail and he made sure to have a special stash waiting for all of us every night. Hope I don't get him trouble! The food was always hot and cooked to perfection and everything was so delicious. We had no problems ordering seconds (just place the order in the beginning) or making changes to things we requested. I also have to give a shout out to "Shorty" the dining room bar server. He was everywhere I turned on this cruise - dining room, poolside, we even went about as far down barefoot beach on Coco Cay as one could go and he seemed to magically appear from behind some coconut trees with his tray of drinks. I honestly thought he was my shadow. Last thing to add was they had a special Brasserie lunch in the MDR on the sea day. This had a wonderful salad bar and great entrees. Definitely beat anything in the WJ.

Entertainment - Good. Did not really care for either of the production shows with the RCI singers and dancers. I don't know if it was a technical issue or if they just had problems singing but the vocals were nearly inaudible on some songs. The guest entertainers (Wilde and James, Rick Corso and Etta Mae) were very funny and appropriate for young ones - at least during the normal show times.

Ports

Key West - First time. We took the Old Towne Trolley tour which allowed hop on/off. Bought tickets online at discount and ticket booth is near Mallory Square. This was a great way to see the sights and we stopped and checked out the lighthouse museum. The ship was only in port from 8-2 so not much time to do anything. Everybody in Key West was asleep since this was Sunday morning , it seemed like a ghost town in spots.

Cozumel - First time. Booked a private excursion through Cozumel sailing - Toucan. Amazing A+++++. We were the only ones booked so we had a catamaran sailing/excursion to ourself. Jamie, Juan and Jorge kept the drinks flowing and cooked up an amazing steak fajita/wing lunch. We sailed to some great snorkeling and over to a private beach. Absolutely the best excursion ever. Sailed from Puerto di Abrigo on the north end of town.

Coco Cay - First time. Really liked it. Weather was a little windy and there was a bit of a current but no jellyfish like some others have reported. We saw a few stingrays but they were very friendly. Overall we had beautiful weather, comfortable chairs/hammocks and it was just a wonderful day to spend the day just relaxing. Food was pretty decent.

Stateroom - We chose an inside cabin on deck 8. We're penny pinchers and would rather splurge on activities than a place to sleep. It was clean and comfortable but smaller than other insides we've been in. Water from the sink was either hot or scalding. Glad we brought the water. Our stateroom attendant kept our cooler topped with ice the whole cruise. She was wonderful attentive and friendly.

Other –

CD John Blair - OK He was present to introduce shows and such but other than that we didn't really observe him in public. Other cruise director we've had seemed to interact more with guests.

Captain Rob Hempsted "Ladies and ...........Gentleman I've got good news and bad news" He was funniest captain I've ever met but he needs to improve on his baking skills. They had a cook off between him and the chef and he poured an entire bottle of liqueur on his first layer of a black forest cake. Needless to say the rest of the layers had a problem staying up on this foundation. Boy did it taste good though.

The Ship - I thought it was beautiful even in its age. Public areas were well maintained and clean. The stateroom furnishings were a bit dated and worn but definitely not a deal breaker. We enjoyed this smaller sized ship as it seems more intimate and cozy. I don't need the specialty dining or basketball courts. Oh, personally glad there are no more art auctions.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the same cruise. Loved Captain Rob with his dry humor. "I've got some good news and bad news...." Didn't get in line quick enough to sample his 'decorated cake' but thought he did a great job. I want him to do the same cake for my birthday. Hope those cruising on the Explorer appreciate him as well.

This was our 4th cruise on the Grandeur and really love that ship. So sorry it won't be sailing from US ports any more. The staff has always been very friendly. We had our favorite waiter (waitress?) on a previous cruise, but she moved to the Adventure I think. The only thing I hated was having to get off the ship at the end of a wonderful cruise.

Archived