How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Cruise?

dmk

How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Cruise?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Cruise?

• more than a year in advance
    • more than 6 months in advance but less than 1 year
    • between 3-6 months in advance
    • less than 3 months in advance
    • other (Please explain)

DMK, How do you get the scehdules for booking "far in advance" ? That is how I like to book, but Celebrity claim not to have any information and so do any local TA I have spoken with.

The TA's that are local seem to know nothing until suddenly they announce " a sale only with us " that is for a cruise about 2 months ahead,

I had to go to Colorado to find a TA to book in Jul 2004 for a cruise November 2005. and to Virginia for a TA who in Nov 2004 was willing to book a segment of Cunard World cruise in Jan 2006 (the invoice has just been adjusted down $$$$ by the way)

I would like to support my local business people, but they are not willing to provide the needed service.

We are retired and have the luxury to travel on a moment's notice, and to any places - so most of our travels are done in less than 2 months planning, not just for cruises, but virtually for anything.

The exception would be made if we saw something too good to pass - such as last July we booked a Diamond Princess cabin for a Dec sailing - that was a first for us to book a cruise this "far out in advance".

Another time was a trip to Japan we purchased our tickets in December for a following April trip because of a tremendous saving and we said what the heck, let's go. (did not plan to go to Japan at all until we saw the airfare, lol)

We just booked Summit for April 22 sailing. That is less than 2 months away.

The record for us was to book a trip New Zealand and Taihiti departing less than 3 weeks after booking - with changes finalized less than 1 week from departure. That was cutting really close.

It is always wise to book a year in advance. THat is when the prices are the lowest. Once the ship starts to fill up the prices will go up. It is called "suppy and demand" basic economics. We had our spring break 2006 booked in November 2004.

Not necessarily true. It can go the other way round - when approaching final payment day and people cancel - tremendous deals can be had within the 2 months window.

The European cruised went up so much partly due to Euro went up a lot against USD. That adds at least 20-30% to the costs for cruiselines.

Guess We're in the "Other- Please explain" category.

The longest lead time we've booked with was about 16 months.

The shortest was a little under two weeks.

Most recently, booked our upcoming Zenith cruise with 41 days til sailing because we just couldln't bear waiting all the way until November for the Serenade, which we booked in fall, 2004.

We always book as soon as a cruise is available. We know what we want to do and we know which cabins we want. Our TA always watches for the books to open and gets the cabin we want. Also, since we usually try to use FF miles on our air, we need to get those reservations in as early as possible, especially if it's an international flight.

Garry

We are sailing to Hawaii Dec 05 on the Summit, it will be our first ever cruise. We booked in January 05. Our TA advised us that the kind of Stateroom and to ensure we were away on my birthday, was to book early.

• 1 month later...

Generaly we book our cruises a year in advance especially if we want a pacific cabin but if we just need take a break sooner, we have booked within a two month span. It can also depend on what kind of deals we can get.

We will normally book our cruises about 7 to 11 months in advance, because we want a particular cabin. Since we really like the C class ships and always book a Royal Suite, the best choices and best prices are very early on.

Our October cruise in the Med on Galaxy was booked in March. [We were booked in January on Millie, but cancelled for the less port intensive itinerary of the Galaxy cruise.] Our January 2006 cruise on Mercury was booked in February, primarily because our RS cost was almost $4,000 per pax less than our cruise on Millie and almost $2,000 per pax less than our Oct. cruise on Galaxy!

The final reason is that we have a better selection early - the most forward RS on either port or starboard side of the vessel right by the elevators. We also don't get stuck with 1054 on Mercury or Galaxy, which is right under the pizza, hot dog and hamburger stand on the deck above. Very noisy during the night while they are cleaning and stocking the area - as we learned on our very first cruise on Mercury. At 3:00 a.m. it sounded like they were rolling bowling balls across the deck.

CECHASE,

Well thats pretty funny on RS 1054.. We were in that suite two weeks ago on the Mercury, and Damn, it was loud... We never did figure out what was beneath us, so now we know!!

Any suggestions on which RS's to avoid on the Century? Quick... we are probably booking by the end of this week..(no pressure or nothing!!)

• 3 weeks later...

we usually book at least nine months in advance, and have done a year or more in advance. we need time to work out vacation time with work, etc., and also like to have something so great as a cruise to look forward to.

The farthest in advance I have ever booked a cruise was 18 months on Disney for a family cabin for a week cruise. What happened you may ask? Two days before we were supposed to leave my son fell with his dirt bike and broke his wrist. We went anyway and the ortho put a water proof cast on. The closest was 5 days as revenge for something my husband did that I didn't like. I ended up taking him anyway, but I got a sitter, hotel, plane tickets and a wardrobe in less than a week. It was our first cruise and I LOVE IT! Joan

Just returned from 14 days on Celebrity Summit, San Diego - Alaska - Vancouver. Dear Hubby booked on Monday :eek: and we flew out on Thursday for a Friday sailing. We were on the Sky Deck with a veranda, center of the ship. Great stateroom. Do we win the prize???? :rolleyes:

We're trying to book a cruise out of Rome in June 2006, but Aeroplan won't allow us to book the flight this far in advance.

Is there any way they can be persuaded?

If we should choose to cruise in May there are no flights available either.

Hi DDayC from Utah. Wasn't that a fabulous 2 weeks.

We were also on the 5/06/05 Summit Coastal/Alaska cruise out of San Diego. Booked it online from travel agency on 4/29/05. Received e-docs on 5/02/05. Other 4 cruises were booked from 2 to 4 months in advance.

John & Carole

I think that it depends on your cabin. Our last cruise we did the Panama canal and had a balcony. Our cabin had an extra large deck due to the design of the ship. There were four cabins that we wanted and three were already gone. If your going lower insind then not as important.

Hi DDayC from Utah. Wasn't that a fabulous 2 weeks.

John & Carole

Fabulous smile.gif and short! frown.gif We've just been talking to the rest of our Summit group about next year and Hawaii. Don't know if we can wait that long or not. Might have to do one in between.

We booked our first cruise about three months ahead, found a great deal and had never been on a cruise. As per usual we fell in love with cruising the minute we got on the ship so booked our Panama cruise while still on our Alaska holiday.

We booked 18 months ahead so we could nab one of the FV aft corner and will be enjoying our huge balcony as we cruise thru the canal.

Three weeks till we leave for Ft Lauderdale!!!!!:p

Hopefully that sounds like us. Our first cruise will be on the Mercury Aug 26, 2005 and I would love to book a Panama Canal cruise say in 18 months. What exactly do you get by booking while you are on a cruise in the way of specials?

We try to book as far in advance as possible - 12 to 18 months. Celebrity is making things very difficult, and we're thinking about booking another cruise line for our 2006 vacations (May and November). Celebrity is really dropping the ball on its release dates.

Archived