Shark Ray Alley Tour cancelled?

TorontoBeach

I just tried to book the Belize Shark Ray Alley tour (the 7 hour one) online at Carnival. A note said that the tour is "temporarily unavailable". Does anyone know why, and when it will be available again? Need to know soon, since leaving in a month on the Glory!

Thanks!

Hi Torontobeach,

That tour for Carnival has been "temporarily unavailable" for almost a month now. The operator used by Carnival is having problems with Marine Park and can not enter. I'm not sure of the whole story but with the risk of starting rumors, I will leave it at that. I don't think there is a time associated with this being cleared up.

Without trying to look like I'm putting a plug in for any particular operator, there is an independent operator that does a Shark/Ray tour that is really nice ;)

Hope this helps.

Book this tour quickly with a private operator. I couldn't get the company I wanted to go with first Coral Breeze due to they didn't have a tour that went the day the Legend was in Belize, I believe they had a tour booked for a Princess ship at different times. I booked with Wet & Wild and I sure hope we have a good time.They are a few choices read, read and then read some more but do it quick so yyou don't get left behind like I did.

You could always catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker and either snorkel there or they have tours from there also. You would need to look up the tour companies, I cant recall them offhand. But, there is a water taxi that leaves Belize city for Caye Caulker every 45 minutes.

n/m, found the link.

Unfortunately, Wet 'n' Wild's 5-hour tour doesn't start until 9:30, and our last tender is at 1:00. :(

Belize is rapidly becoming a wasted stop for me on the Grand. The odd port times don't give you the time to do anything.

With odd times book through the ship.

It's canceled through the ship. Independent was my only way to do this tour at all. :(

If you want to get creative, you can fly from Belize City to San Pedro for about $100 rt and Shark Ray Alley is about 5 miles SE of the town. Not sure of the flight schedule, however.

Here it says hourly:

2. Where is Ambergris Caye and how do I get to San Pedro?

Ambergris Caye is an island located about 20 miles North East of Belize City. San Pedro is the only town on Ambergris Caye and is serviced by hourly flights from the mainland. You can fly directly from the International Airport to San Pedro. Or, you can fly from the Municipal Airport right in Belize City. Flights are about $100 US return per person, and flight time is about 20 minutes.

and:

Shark Ray Alley - There are many different names for the same place. The feature fish here are lots of friendly Nurse Sharks & Southern Stingrays! There's also great snorkeling with huge shoals of snappers, grunts & other tropicals. Cost is just $35 US per person with snorkling equipment and park fee included.

http://www.bluedive.com/diving.html

If you want to get creative, you can fly from Belize City to San Pedro for about $100 rt and Shark Ray Alley is about 5 miles SE of the town. Not sure of the flight schedule, however.

Here's a quote from BelizeIt.com. Just a little more details, but at least the hours are listed. It also list the specific airlines.

You can get to Ambergris Caye by plane or by boat.

Tropic Air, Island Air, and Maya Airlines make hourly scheduled trips to San Pedro from either the Municipal Airstrip in Belize City or from the Phillip Goldson International Airport. Flights usually run between 6am and about 5:30pm. The average cost of a roundtrip ticket is around US$93 and the trip takes about 20 minutes.

There are several boats which make daily trips to and from Ambergris Caye. Boats usually leave from the historic Swing Bridge in Belize City or from the pier in front of the Bliss Auditorium. The trip takes between 1 - 1 1/2 hours depending on the boat and usually cost about US$50 roundtrip. Be sure to look for Triple J, Thunderbolt or Rainbow Runner.

LES!

We did the “Shark and Ray Alley” tour with Coral Breeze Unlimited. We met them at the Wet Lizard restaurant right by the docks. There were 8 of us on the tour and 4 crew members. The captain was Mark, with his assistant, James. Our guides were Monique and Hennie. We boarded a small boat and went to Cay Caulker to pick up snorkel equipment and to place our lunch orders. Our next stop was Coral Gardens to snorkel. We followed Hennie, two by two, along a path through the coral. It was pretty. We snorkeled for about 45 minutes. The current was a little strong at some points. Our next stop was to visit the sharks and stingrays. Hennie started feeding them when we arrived. There were 7 nurse sharks and 25-30 string rays. It was great to be in the water with them and touch them. It was not scary at all. The nurse sharks are a little shy. The stingrays were all over me. We then went back to Cay Caulker for lunch and spent about an hour and a half there. The lunch was included in the tour and was very good. We walked around the island before it was time to return. It was very quiet and pretty there. Hennie told us that there are only 5 cars on the island. Most of the residents drive golf carts. The kids take a boat to school. It looked like a sleepy little fishing village and I enjoyed the serenity of the island. I would highly recommend this tour to others. It felt very personalized. We shopped at the port a little while before returning to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the tour (shark/ray alley) definatly cancelled on the Grand Princess? Does anyone have anymore info about it? We won't be sailing until Nov so maybe they might be able to bring it back by then. I can only hope!

Oops, forgot to mention, since the Grand is only in port 1-7 it is not possible to do the shark/ray tour with Coral Breeze. It's a 5 hr tour so it would be cutting it too close for comfort!

I tried and tried, Coral Breeze wouldn't do the tour with a port time of 1-7 in April.

Then our days got switched, now we're doing Belize on Tuesday from 6:30-1:30. A friend on our roll call managed to get enough people together (8, possibly 10) to convince Coral Breeze to do a shortened tour for us. You could contact them if they change your itinerary.

Archived