Mike & Tracy’s Excellent Adventure: B2B2B2B on Destiny, Imagination, Valor, Freedom

MikeyA53

Once you get to the end of the long pier, there’s a courtyard with a few small stalls and sellers motioning for you to come and see their products. In other words, very little to see unless you’re willing to leave the gated complex.

We saw a sign that said shopping 200 meters and off we went, through the guarded gate.

We were met almost immediately by a small group of men offering tours of the area. The first one we spoke to was Lenworth, his price was $80 for a tour of the city and surrounding area. I told him it was way too much and we kept walking, as expected he started following us and by the time we had reached our destination the price was $45 for a tour of the city, two waterfalls and as many shopping malls as we wanted to check out.

We got in his private vehicle and off we went to the top of a hill, overlooking the city. His first stop was a lookout spot where you could see and photograph the surrounding area. He then proceeded to show us the local flora, taking the time to crush leaves from various plants and getting us to smell the aromas, such as lemon grass, clove and thyme, etc.

Cruising2010459.jpg

Cruising2010460.jpg

Cruising2010462.jpg

Trumpet Flowers

Cruising2010468.jpg

Plantain

Cruising2010458.jpg

Wow beautiful waterfall! I've been following this review since late September and haven't posted yet. I have this page in my subscriptions and check it a few times a day like everyone else. It's wonderful of you and your family to share all of this amazing adventure with us. Most people never seem to finish cruise reviews here and you are doing 4 in 1. Great job on the renewal ceremony. People a few pages back said you are making all of us other guys look bad....I happen to agree! Congrats on an amazing vacation and best of luck to you guys, especially Tracy on her training!

Edit: Also decided to honor you with my first post on this forum, being new to cruising with only one under my belt and just a general lurker of the forums. Love this place!

Edited by Diffuser87

That would be me too., Sat last night and got up to this page- Now that I am at work maybe I can catch up with the rest of it.

The review is better then any ole book I pick up from the Library for sure.

We sailed teh Freedom in February 2010 but book the Valor for February 2012. Booked the Pride for February 2011 so looking forward to reading THAT review also.

Thanks for taking the time.

Thank you serene56, glad you are enjoying the review. Mike

We like doing mini golf and have noticed my baseball hat likes to blow off on upper decks of ship-did you find that a problem? OR is it real tight?

It's on tight.:)

Love the wedding photos...we have the same tree pose as our favorite wedding photo!

Thank you

Now want to see a current mounty photo. Too bad couldn't wear uniform on ship for wedding & formals (Unless there is a rule, or Tracy would have known something was up), you would have been an even more of a head turner as a couple.

Yes, it would have made for nicer photos but the hat, belt and the boots would be difficult and a hassle to pack.

I found your review this morning & have been reading from the beginning for the past 3 hours straight... laundry and housework will just have to wait! Sadly, I must log-off now and take my dad to his doctor's appointment! Can't wait to get home and finish this wonderful read! :D

BTW ~ You have a gorgeous family (and friends, too)! I too feel inspired to "lose a few" before the next cruise! And... to ask my DH about renewing our vows next March (we're sailing the Miracle for our 15th anniversary)! Nice to see that Carnival added "sunshades" to the round loungers... that's a new addition since we sailed her in April.

Kind regards ~ Leah

Thank you Leah, good luck with your diet and your hubby. Mike

Then we visited a beautiful waterfall, it's not Dunn River Falls but we had it all to ourselves.

Cruising2010457.jpg

Cruising2010464.jpg

Cruising2010463.jpg

Cruising2010465.jpg

Cruising2010466.jpg

Cruising2010467.jpg

Enjoying the review and the wonderful pictures. I posted mine today on facebook and had to hunt for any we took that were worth looking at. Please share what kind of camera you used to take all these. This review and pictures makes me want out and buy a new camera.

Edited by melodystrother

I don't comment all that much, but I have been obsesssed with checking every day. I LOVE a good long picture review and this is a WHOLE 'NOTHER LEVEL of a good long picture review! Thanks again, Mikey, Tracy and the whole family!

Thank you for your comment and thank you for reading my review. I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for people like you.

WOW! Mike you and your wife were so daring to just go up to anyone in Jamaica and take a tour with them! Good for you! I would of been scared to do so, looks like you really choose someone very good! Brought you to some beautiful places! You can tell he takes pride in his country! We were lucky in St Thomas once to get someone like that, but he was recommended by an other tour leader that was full the day we were at port!

We went to Dunn River Falls and LOVED it! BUT VERY CROWDED!!!! So you got a great deal!!! I don't regret going to Dunn River Falls, once in a life time thing! BUT your Tour looks AMAZING too!!!!!

Great pictures!!! :)

I lucked upon this wonderful thread last nite and you kept me entertain til late last nite. It seems that you have single handed held the cruising society hostage. Men are hating you for the bar you have set. Women are loving you for the romantic wonderful husband and father you have shown (my DH is 54 and I (we) wish he had your abs but I'm sure he (we) wish I had Tracy's abs:D).

Family, Friends and Fun seems to be you guys motto. As everyone else have stated....you have a beautiful family...Granny:p is kinda sassy with her dressing, too. I almost thought you guys weren't normal until you shared with us your daughter's breaking:mad: curfew. I'm so glad she is normal, what teenager wouldn't try?? But you never once said your children were wining about the non cell phone or internet usage. You never said anything about a long list of packing must haves to bring along. Never complained about service on 4 cruises. No one got sea sick. You guys just spent a wonderful time enjoying each other, WOW. We really need to send you money (this, I'm sure was an very expensive but priceless trip), this was like reading with a kindle.

I can't wait to read the rest. Thank you, your family and friends for your time and sharing. You were blessed with good weather and a good trip.

P.S. Rosie, I copied your quote and I am saving for my crew when we sail.

Thanks again!!

Mikey,

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I love your review, love the pictures.. Just a wonderful time you and your family had. I can't wait for our cruise in april.

I do have a few questiona for you;

We are flying from California, not sure if we should fly to Miami or FLL? We cruise out of Miami, however airfare is cheaper to FLL. My question is did SAS pick u up from FLL airport or from the hotel and then take you to the port of MIA? Does SAS book others on the shuttle or just your group? Also which city would be better to stay at FLL or MIA?

Thanks for any information...

Karmen

As I was going through the photos of that great food in the steakhouse :D, I noticed in one picture Tracy's hands are right in front. if that is the ring you surprised her with, you did a great job :D! It is beautiful!

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Charlene

Some random thoughts...

loved loved your wedding pics with mountie uniform,

would love to see a current mountie uniform

that would be neat to see in the dining room on elegant night

just think...pretty soon Tracy will be a Mountie too??

your country should be proud of you guys

~~~~~

other random thoughts : Freedom looks really nice, I like that spa pool/hot tub area that they took off the other ships (grrr)....looks great

serenity area looks nice and also the Sun King is really a lovely looking steakhouse, beautiful decor

loving the review..thanks once again

Thank you sharecruises

Wow beautiful waterfall! I've been following this review since late September and haven't posted yet. I have this page in my subscriptions and check it a few times a day like everyone else. It's wonderful of you and your family to share all of this amazing adventure with us. Most people never seem to finish cruise reviews here and you are doing 4 in 1. Great job on the renewal ceremony. People a few pages back said you are making all of us other guys look bad....I happen to agree! Congrats on an amazing vacation and best of luck to you guys, especially Tracy on her training!

Edit: Also decided to honor you with my first post on this forum, being new to cruising with only one under my belt and just a general lurker of the forums. Love this place!

Thank you and I'm honered that you chose this thread for your first post. Mike

Thanks Mike...I haven't posted thus far but those pics of the lucsious greenery compelled me!! You have done an amazing job with this thread and I, as so many others, are going to hate disembarkation!!

Thank you alwayshappytocruise

Enjoying the review and the wonderful pictures. I posted mine today on facebook and had to hunt for any we took that were worth looking at. Please share what kind of camera you used to take all these. This review and pictures makes me want out and buy a new camera.

Thank you melodystrother, the review is made up with photos from 5 cameras. The best shots come from a Nikon D50.

WOW! Mike you and your wife were so daring to just go up to anyone in Jamaica and take a tour with them! Good for you! I would of been scared to do so, looks like you really choose someone very good! Brought you to some beautiful places! You can tell he takes pride in his country! We were lucky in St Thomas once to get someone like that, but he was recommended by an other tour leader that was full the day we were at port!

To be honest we were a bit scared when we first left with Lenworth and I do not recommend anyone else doing what we did. It was a spur-of-the- moment decision that turned out okay. It was a wonderful tour but you have to be careful in Jamaica.

We went to Dunn River Falls and LOVED it! BUT VERY CROWDED!!!! So you got a great deal!!! I don't regret going to Dunn River Falls, once in a life time thing! BUT your Tour looks AMAZING too!!!!!

Great pictures!!! :)

Thank you AngelKappie